Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How's your day been??

How's your day been??

Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute
Default How's your day been??

Mine started well, for around five minutes..Until........

Dark disturbing rumblings commenced around eight am this morning when my dear old Mum mentioned that her water closet was a tad slow to flush and the water in her bath took ages to drain……..
Her part of the house is 45 yrs old which is quite an age for here. The house being one of the first to be built on the mountain before it became an ‘ Urbanizacion’… I have built an extension and other bits and pieces over the last 6 years so know a little bit about the structure of the place……And have come to understand that some oddities and nuances are to be expected as living outside a town over here is a little third world in some aspects.....We are only now in the process of getting the availability to access natural gas.
The main water stop-cock to the house is in a cave in the garden…….There is an old forca septica under the cellar floor which is no longer in use...…And the post arrives sometimes at the back entrance and other times at the front?? The electricity source more often than not can be intermittent during heavy thunder storms and also, not during heavy thunderstorms...And the phone rings every Saturday morning at 9.30 and there is never, and I mean NEVER anyone on the end of the line??? So some things aren’t normal.

Anyway…… First thing this morning I went to investigate the odd sounds emanating from my Mothers bathroom, plunger in hand...
After 10 mins of sweaty work in the bath to create the old air lock to see if this would help……I flushed the toilet and found myself fighting back a rising tide of black water that left me nigh on ankle deep in stuff difficult to describe……
Panicking, I rushed to the cellar and attached an old hose to a tap, dashed back upstairs then proceeded to ram the end , deep down yards into the bubbling, seething bog….Fighting against a swelling and rising flood of excrement and other noxious, nauseous stuff and screaming at the top of my lungs for Mrs Beastie to turn the water power on, I crossed my fingers, closed my eyes and said a little prayer………Much use that was……....

The rumblings that started late yesterday evening surged upwards, eventually finding their destination and thus found me…..Like a dirty brown, gaped-mouthed, huge sh#t-spewing, ghastly dragon type creature…..Untold substances hidden below the earth for years like some condemned monsters hurtled toward the light that seeped into their dark dungeon giving them life….They were free….I wasn’t!!!! I fell into the abyss....

My Mum and Mrs Beastie are still in there cleaning up! I on the other hand have politely refused to enter the haunted place and have called the professional 'Sh#t busters' who may very well arrive any minute now to exorcise the evil down below!!!……It will be worth the 182 Euros they charge!
Off for Another shower.....
Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:27 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's your day been??

.... been there, done that!

For us it came up through the bath, shower, sink, in fact everywhere.

Having removed the loo and tried to send hoses down to clear it, we eventually had to dig a hole in the bedroom floor (through the tiles) to where the 'pit' was and then to clear the blockage there.

We had to evacuate the building for a few days whilst everything calmed down.

(Do you think there is a sub-teranian passage between your house and ours where this wee beastie travels?)
Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:32 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Oh No, hope it doesn't cost you more.

One thing that worries me about Spanish plumbing, bathrooms look gorgeous, not a pipe in sight, all hidden behind the lovely shiny tiles, Problem arises some where behind shiny tiles?
Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How's your day been??

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Oh No, hope it doesn't cost you more.

One thing that worries me about Spanish plumbing, bathrooms look gorgeous, not a pipe in sight, all hidden behind the lovely shiny tiles, Problem arises some where behind shiny tiles?
There are never I mean never any access panels. Even our bath which was installed with serious damage was hard walled in. When I said it would have to be changed they grumbled smashed it out and installed new bath behind same solid tiled panel.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 5:33 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Beast
Mine started well, for around five minutes..Until........

Dark disturbing rumblings commenced around eight am this morning when my dear old Mum mentioned that her water closet was a tad slow to flush and the water in her bath took ages to drain……..
Her part of the house is 45 yrs old which is quite an age for here. The house being one of the first to be built on the mountain before it became an ‘ Urbanizacion’… I have built an extension and other bits and pieces over the last 6 years so know a little bit about the structure of the place……And have come to understand that some oddities and nuances are to be expected as living outside a town over here is a little third world in some aspects.....We are only now in the process of getting the availability to access natural gas.
The main water stop-cock to the house is in a cave in the garden…….There is an old forca septica under the cellar floor which is no longer in use...…And the post arrives sometimes at the back entrance and other times at the front?? The electricity source more often than not can be intermittent during heavy thunder storms and also, not during heavy thunderstorms...And the phone rings every Saturday morning at 9.30 and there is never, and I mean NEVER anyone on the end of the line??? So some things aren’t normal.

Anyway…… First thing this morning I went to investigate the odd sounds emanating from my Mothers bathroom, plunger in hand...
After 10 mins of sweaty work in the bath to create the old air lock to see if this would help……I flushed the toilet and found myself fighting back a rising tide of black water that left me nigh on ankle deep in stuff difficult to describe……
Panicking, I rushed to the cellar and attached an old hose to a tap, dashed back upstairs then proceeded to ram the end , deep down yards into the bubbling, seething bog….Fighting against a swelling and rising flood of excrement and other noxious, nauseous stuff and screaming at the top of my lungs for Mrs Beastie to turn the water power on, I crossed my fingers, closed my eyes and said a little prayer………Much use that was……....

The rumblings that started late yesterday evening surged upwards, eventually finding their destination and thus found me…..Like a dirty brown, gaped-mouthed, huge sh#t-spewing, ghastly dragon type creature…..Untold substances hidden below the earth for years like some condemned monsters hurtled toward the light that seeped into their dark dungeon giving them life….They were free….I wasn’t!!!! I fell into the abyss....

My Mum and Mrs Beastie are still in there cleaning up! I on the other hand have politely refused to enter the haunted place and have called the professional 'Sh#t busters' who may very well arrive any minute now to exorcise the evil down below!!!……It will be worth the 182 Euros they charge!
Off for Another shower.....
I have had a much better day than you, in fact I think everyone on the forum has.......

So will today december 15th be known in your house as "brown Thursday?"

Sorry that you have had such a crapday...
Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Sh#t busters been and gone.....Whilst they were here I hooked up a mini- cam to their extension rod and had a look down.......Turned out there was a blockage.....It was a clump of fine hair roots from a mimosa tree that used to stand over 6 metres from the house, I cut the sod down years ago.....Over the years they grew through the foundations and into the pipes????

Anyway, all blasted away for good!!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 2:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Beast
Sh#t busters been and gone.....Whilst they were here I hooked up a mini- cam to their extension rod and had a look down.......Turned out there was a blockage.....It was a clump of fine hair roots from a mimosa tree that used to stand over 6 metres from the house, I cut the sod down years ago.....Over the years they grew through the foundations and into the pipes????

Anyway, all blasted away for good!!
Sorry to hear of this problem. Will you be able to kill the offending roots off now that you know they are there?

Rosemary
Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:08 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe your day's not been so bad after all.

http://www.seenandshared.com/hows-your-day-going.htm
Old Dec 17th 2011, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Maybe your day's not been so bad after all.

http://www.seenandshared.com/hows-your-day-going.htm
And - on a seasonal note

When four of Santa's elves got sick, the trainee elves did not produce toys as fast as the regular ones, and Santa began to feel the Pre-Christmas pressure.

Then Mrs. Claus told Santa her Mother was coming to visit, which stressed Santa even more.

When he went to harness the reindeer, he found that three of them were about to give birth and two others had jumped the fence and were out, Heaven knows where.

Then when he began to load the sleigh, one of the floorboards cracked, the toy bag fell to the ground and all the toys were scattered.

Frustrated, Santa went in the house for a cup of apple cider and a shot of rum. When he went to the cupboard, he discovered the elves had drunk all the cider and hidden the liquor.. In his frustration, he accidentally dropped the cider jug, and it broke into hundreds of little glass pieces all over the kitchen floor. He went to get the broom and found the mice had eaten all the straw off the end of the broom.

Just then the doorbell rang, and an irritated Santa marched to the door, yanked it open, and there stood a little angel with a great big Christmas tree.

The angel said very cheerfully, 'Merry Christmas, Santa. Isn't this a lovely day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would you like me to stick it?'

And so began the tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree