Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How are you keeping warm?

How are you keeping warm?

Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default How are you keeping warm?

It's down to 9ºC here in Sevilla and will fall to zero tonight, maybe below.

That doesn't sound too bad compared to the UK but we have no insulation in the houses down here - it's bloody freezing indoors.

I've got a heater under my desk with a blanket that goes over it and my knees, making a nice warm little air-pocket.

And my M&S HeatGen thermals of course.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are you keeping warm?

It has turned really cold very early on this year (but longer term forecasts indicate minimum nightime temperatures will be back into double figures by the middle of next week, for Malaga at least).

Yesterday it was 9C when I went up to the roof to hang my washing out at 9.00 am, but I don't think it's got above 12 at any time today. Indoors we're not too bad, just got the gas heater on the low setting at the moment but will probably have to turn it up a notch later on as we did last night. I put a hot water bottle in my bed for the first time last night - don't like electric blankets.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Shagging
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:29 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Shagging
What, all day and all night ?

I'm quite impressed.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Here when the sun is shining we go outside to warm up as inside the house is quite cold.
We have a log burner which makes the house very warm and cosy but we don't light a fire until late afternoon, we rely more on layers of clothing through the day which seems to work very well, even if it doesn't looks too good.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

We still haven't lit the log burner. So far its been warm clothes in layers, out in sun when wind drops and aircon set on warm. We have a small 700W oil rad in bedroom which just takes the chill off for an hour before bed. OH feels the cold more than I do.

I also have a pan of hot vegetable broth which is nice and warming for when we get chilly. As this is our first full winter here we don't feel too chilled.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

We're Ok through the day if the sun is out as our living room has windows to the east, south and west. So if we leave a log in the wood burning stove overnight the room doesn't get below about 16 overnight and the temperature goes up when we open the blinds and the sun shines through the window.
The rest of the house is about 10 degrees cooler, including the bedroom.
I've sent for some the M&S Heatgen thermals, hoping to be reunited with my feet sometime soon.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
It's down to 9ºC here in Sevilla and will fall to zero tonight, maybe below.

That doesn't sound too bad compared to the UK but we have no insulation in the houses down here - it's bloody freezing indoors.

I've got a heater under my desk with a blanket that goes over it and my knees, making a nice warm little air-pocket.

And my M&S HeatGen thermals of course.
Sounds idyllic! All this talk of layers of extra clothing, electric blankets, hot water bottles!
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

With my wife, she's hot!
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Sounds idyllic! All this talk of layers of extra clothing, electric blankets, hot water bottles!
I'll expect to see that all of these items have been withdrawn from sale in the UK when I go back there later this week, then, if everyone is so warm and cosy they're not needed.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I'll expect to see that all of these items have been withdrawn from sale in the UK when I go back there later this week, then, if everyone is so warm and cosy they're not needed.
Well of course they will have been.....I see on Facebook on my old hometown page that the postmen are still wearing shorts while delivering the post.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Well, they are certainly not needed in this house, whereas PL says she has no insulation, we have the max insulation rating, so a flick of a switch for the CH is all that's needed. And just about once a week, we get a phone call, someone asking if we want a grant for cavity wall insulation, loft insulation etc. "We're all done, thank you!" I was telling my wife about this thread, she was shivering just listening to it. She's a bit of a "friolera" she wouldn't enjoy sharing with PL. Funnily enough we have one mad postman that still wears shorts as well.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Well, they are certainly not needed in this house, whereas PL says she has no insulation, we have the max insulation rating, so a flick of a switch for the CH is all that's needed.
Have you got a spare room?
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Have you got a spare room?
We have, do you want to use it for the winter? No need to bring your electric blanket or hot water bottle! You'll need to bring your own callos, we don't do that!
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

a flick of a switch for the CH is all that's needed.

Funnily enough we have one mad postman that still wears shorts as well.
Personally I don't like central heating, it dries the air and also encourages the spread of colds.
On visits back to the UK I find it way too hot in people’s homes and shopping centres, I wouldn’t want to change my log burner for CH.

Looking at my hometown page on FB, it's looking miserable and frosty there, here the sky has been blue, the sun was shining and it's been warm enough to sit out in the sun.....I wouldn't change that either!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.