Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How are things in Benidorm?

How are things in Benidorm?

Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:11 am
Banned

blamington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How are things in Benidorm?

I watched are repeat of 'Escape to the Sun' on TV this week. It was about the thousand who moved to Spain in the 80s and 90s. People worked in the tourism sector, how is that sector doing now?

The TV company, not sure if it was BBC or ITV, should do an update!
Old Jan 10th 2011, 10:32 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are things in Benidorm?

Originally Posted by blamington
I watched are repeat of 'Escape to the Sun' on TV this week. It was about the thousand who moved to Spain in the 80s and 90s. People worked in the tourism sector, how is that sector doing now?

The TV company, not sure if it was BBC or ITV, should do an update!
Don't you think tho that under the current conditions, most would make depressing reading?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

expat2be is a jewel in the roughexpat2be is a jewel in the roughexpat2be is a jewel in the roughexpat2be is a jewel in the rough

I think it would certainly be a VERY different type of TV programme if they were to re-visit. Still love the place but definetely holding fire on any property purchases until we can start to see light at the end of the tunnel.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 7:39 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Tourism numbers tp Spain in 2010 increased. But not the Brits...

http://www.la-moncloa.es/IDIOMAS/9/G...011Tourits.htm

According to the announcement from the Tourism Studies Institute (Spanish acronym: IET), the number of international tourists who came to Spain over the course of last year stands at close to 53 million; an increase of 1.4% on the previous year.

In terms of individual emitting countries, noteworthy double-digit growth was recorded by Italy, Russia and the Netherlands. These positive trends, together with the somewhat more moderate growth recorded by the Nordic Countries and France, offset the decline experienced by tourists from Germany and the United Kingdom; the two main emitting markets for tourism to Spain.

This means that Spain has reduced its high level of dependency on the British and German markets and demonstrated that the country can grow in spite of falling numbers from these two regions thanks, to a great extent, on the commitment to diversify made by the Spanish Government.
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:09 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Tourism numbers tp Spain in 2010 increased. But not the Brits...

http://www.la-moncloa.es/IDIOMAS/9/G...011Tourits.htm
Thanks for that Stevie,
Nice to know that we can still always count on you to come to the rescue of the Spanish economy in troubled times.
Sure you not getting backhanders from Mr Bean, by the way ?
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:20 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Thanks for that Stevie,
Nice to know that we can still always count on you to come to the rescue of the Spanish economy in troubled times.
Sure you not getting backhanders from Mr Bean, by the way ?
Not me spending the money - according to the data it's Italy, Russia, Netherlands, France etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more Chinese in the future too
The point about my posting is most of us get a bit tired of all the constant repeating of bad news. If I only wanted to hear bad things about Spain I'd subscribe to the "Agro" channel Yes, there's a lot of hard times out there, and it'll take a while before things improve for most. But there is good news out there - just it doesn't sell newspapers (or get many internet clicks). When the bad news stops getting repeated 1000s of times, then maybe there'll be no reason to show the good news.
Salgado thinks the economy is on the mend. Whether or not you disagree with her, I think it's important to see both sides of the argument. Remember I've also posted threads like one about Spanish house prices, which are going to be in a bad way for some time yet. I could list lots of reasons why Spain has a brighter future. One is, that food prices are shooting up all over the world, which will help Spanish food exports (already increasing in 2010). But in the short term that brings its own problems. What's that saying about light and shadows?
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_28661.shtml
Old Jan 10th 2011, 8:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Not me spending the money - according to the data it's Italy, Russia, Netherlands, France etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more Chinese in the future too
The point about my posting is most of us get a bit tired of all the constant repeating of bad news. If I only wanted to hear bad things about Spain I'd subscribe to the "Agro" channel Yes, there's a lot of hard times out there, and it'll take a while before things improve for most. But there is good news out there - just it doesn't sell newspapers (or get many internet clicks). When the bad news stops getting repeated 1000s of times, then maybe there'll be no reason to show the good news.
Salgado thinks the economy is on the mend. Whether or not you disagree with her, I think it's important to see both sides of the argument. Remember I've also posted threads like one about Spanish house prices, which are going to be in a bad way for some time yet. I could list lots of reasons why Spain has a brighter future. One is, that food prices are shooting up all over the world, which will help Spanish food exports (already increasing in 2010). But in the short term that brings its own problems. What's that saying about light and shadows?
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_28661.shtml
Just like everywhere else Stevie, good news is often no news at all, especially as far as the media is concerned.
However I think most ppl. still have enough common sense to sort the wheat from the chaff and get a reasonably balanced view of the true situation.
Personally I still don't see too much light at the end of the tunnel, not just yet anyway.