Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"How Spain exploits young Workers"

"How Spain exploits young Workers"

Old Apr 14th 2014, 9:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default "How Spain exploits young Workers"

http://www.thelocal.es/20140410/comp...h-exploitation

An email sent by mistake to two young job candidates by the employers who had just interviewed them has exposed the 'work for free' philosophy of corporate Spain and taken Twitter by storm.

Just three hours after being interviewed for an internship at tourism marketing company Innwise, Spanish jobseeker Alejandro received an email from the potential employer.

It wasn’t meant for him as he would soon find out.

“It’ll be harder to get the one from Toledo on board for €400 than the young kid for free.

“I’d try for free (or maximum €200 for part time) with Alejandro and €400 for César.”

Angered by what he’d just read, Alejandro tweeted the email gaffe, spurring an onslaught of retweets which quickly became a trending topic under #becariopipiolin (#internkid).

“It’s a true X-ray of (Spain’s) current corporate world,” wrote one commentator.

“There is work, they just don’t want to pay, even if it’s badly. It’s an utter disgrace.”

With their reputation taking a virtual battering, Innwise CEO Jordi Estalella called the two disgruntled job candidates to apologize.

“He told me it was nothing personal and that he was really sorry,” Alejandro remarked.

“I told him I felt lucky to not have ended up there.”

Estalella has since told the Spanish press that “there’s no one at the company who doesn’t get paid” and that it was just “some deplorable correspondence between two guys”.

The person responsible for the unfortunate email is said to be “distraught” and “offered up his job” to his superiors.

Despite Spain’s large number of university graduates, the country’s unemployment rate (under 26s) currently stands at an alarming 57 percent.

Desperate to get their foot in the door, many young jobseekers take on unpaid office work as interns in the hope of gaining a fixed position or at least some much sought-after work experience.

It’s important to remember that 576,900 Spaniards, one in ten jobseekers, have never worked.

The disgust and anger voiced by hundreds of people in response to Innwise’s email gaffe is a reflection of how Spanish society has grown tired of the deeply rooted culture of exploitation, fuelled largely by the excuse of ‘la crisis’.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Apr 14th 2014 at 9:27 pm. Reason: add on
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "How Spain exploits young Workers"

Yes this is pretty much how it is. My wife has a degree in law from a top Spanish university and a Masters in law from a UK university, but she won't go near law as a profession in Spain, since it inevitably involves working for 2 years as an intern with little or no pay, and with no guarantee of employment afterwards. The only people entering the profession have money, enchufe, or are lucky enough to get taken on by one of the few reputable companies.

The problem stems from Spanish employment law (which they are slowly changing). If you are more than 2 years with a company that company has to award you a contrato indefinido, which guarantees lots of employment rights and is very expensive for the employer. Up until then the company can get away with offering temporary contracts that offer no job security and allow the employer to lay people off at no notice, and with no justification, before they have spent 2 years with them. So many Spanish people end up with agencies like Manpower and Randstad moving from one trabajo basura to the next, staying on dire wages and with no hope of finding settled employment. It's not surprising so many stay living with their parents well into their 30s. Often they can only afford somewhere when they get married, and money suddenly appears from somewhere to help them buy a house.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
The only people entering the profession have money, enchufe, or are lucky enough to get taken on by one of the few reputable companies.
I guess my sister in-law and father-in-law before her must have been very lucky then

She has worked for very good law companies in Oviedo, Madrid and Barcelona, and currently works for Ernst and Young for a very good salary

The cream always rises to the top, even in Spain.

Don't let your wife give up before she has even started for Christ sake!
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:00 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

I´m not sure how this is news?
Young workers have been "exploited" in most countries for decades. Spain is no different.
I know of many friends in the UK that were "taken on" for apprenticeships only to be "let go" at the end of it and replaced by a new apprentice.
The salary they were earning was far below what would now be considered the minimum wage.
My first job in central London barely covered my tube travel to and from work, and that included central London weighting, which in itself was more than my basic salary.
However, my friends completed their training allowing them to go onto better things. One now runs his own company on the back of the training he was given. So quite how you measure what he earned whilst training is very debatable.
I too run my own business on the back of the training I was given.
My attitude is you can sit and sulk about it as the world owes you a living or, knuckle down, take what shit is thrown at you, and take from it what ever you can!
Too many people seem to think they should be using the latest iphone, buying their fast car and first house on the basis they´ve spent 3-4 yrs partying whilst getting a degree!
Welcome to the real world!
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:02 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I guess my sister in-law and father-in-law before her must have been very lucky then

She has worked for very good law companies in Oviedo, Madrid and Barcelona, and currently works for Ernst and Young for a very good salary

You really do make some great comments.

Yes your lot are unusual, for a start not many women of your mother in laws age worked when they had children.

Also not many Spanish couples get in the region of 7k (I think that was the latest figure you published) a month pension, and they think that is should be more, as you also stated.

I knew the crocodile tears would not last long. Welcome back to the cricketman of old, the one we know, the empathy you showed to the unfortunate never seemed quite genuine anyway.

Welcome back.

Last edited by me me; Apr 15th 2014 at 9:07 am.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
I´m not sure how this is news?
Young workers have been "exploited" in most countries for decades. Spain is no different.
I know of many friends in the UK that were "taken on" for apprenticeships only to be "let go" at the end of it and replaced by a new apprentice.
The salary they were earning was far below what would now be considered the minimum wage.
My first job in central London barely covered my tube travel to and from work, and that included central London weighting, which in itself was more than my basic salary.
However, my friends completed their training allowing them to go onto better things. One now runs his own company on the back of the training he was given. So quite how you measure what he earned whilst training is very debatable.
I too run my own business on the back of the training I was given.
My attitude is you can sit and sulk about it as the world owes you a living or, knuckle down, take what shit is thrown at you, and take from it what ever you can!
Too many people seem to think they should be using the latest iphone, buying their fast car and first house on the basis they´ve spent 3-4 yrs partying whilst getting a degree!
Welcome to the real world!
Yes, this happens everywhere (there are loads of interns employed by high earning law and fashion companies in London for instance), but does that make it right?
I take your point though - in business we often have to start out losing money before (hopefully) making profits. But "hired labour" should be just that - "hired labour". By all means reduce wages if conditions are tight, but end of the day you should try and live by the maxim " a fair day's work, for a fair day's pay"
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:10 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Yes, this happens everywhere (there are loads of interns employed by high earning law and fashion companies in London for instance), but does that make it right?
I take your point though - in business we often have to start out losing money before (hopefully) making profits. But "hired labour" should be just that - "hired labour". By all means reduce wages if conditions are tight, but end of the day you should try and live by the maxim " a fair day's work, for a fair day's pay"
No Stevie, it doesn´t make it right.
It´s a mode of practice that has gone on for years and I can´t see it changing anytime soon. I do believe the minimum wage was designed to help though.
I was just trying to raise the point how this really isn´t any news as it´s nothing new. Also how peoples expectations when first entering the work place are often misplaced.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
I knew the crocodile tears would nit last long. Welcome back to the cricketman of old, the one we know, the empathy you showed to the unfortunate never seemed quite genuine anyway.

Welcome back.
OK Chopera's wife should just give up then. That is a much better attitude

All I am saying is that it isnt impossible. Nobody in my family had enchufe or bought their way into any position.

I hired somebody for my business a few months ago. I received 150 CVs and all but 4 were absolute rubbish. They didnt even send me what I asked for in the job advert. Then when I interviewed the top 4, their "native" level English was terrible. I had to hire a foreigner in the end.

My Spanish extended family have all done very well, but maybe that is because when they say they are fluent in 4 languages, they actually are. And they have travelled all around the world gaining work experience and improving their language skills.

If you are good in Spain then eventually you will do well, because there aren't that many good people around. Go for it! Too many people fool themselves and blame the system when actually, they aren't very employable
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:15 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
No Stevie, it doesn´t make it right.
It´s a mode of practice that has gone on for years and I can´t see it changing anytime soon. I do believe the minimum wage was designed to help though.
I was just trying to raise the point how this really isn´t any news as it´s nothing new. Also how peoples expectations when first entering the work place are often misplaced.
It's weird - i agree almost entirely with what you say. But at the same time I'm aware that for some graduates, who leave university with £30 or £40k of debt, they have no choice but to seek out higher paying jobs. The alternative of course is to drop-out (or take low paid work) and not pay the debt - but they then get castigated for being work-shy and shirkers.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Apr 15th 2014 at 9:21 am.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Yes your wife was very lucky, as indeed have been a few other people I know. But there aren't that many Ernst and Youngs around to recruit people, and the majority of law graduates have to contend with either being becarios or trying something else.

As it happens my wife tried something else and is doing fine as a fund analyst with an American investment bank. And I'm doing fine as well for that matter. But neither of us would be so arrogant and deluded as to come out with a phrase like "The cream always rises to the top, even in Spain" just because we were fortunate enough to get decent jobs during the good times and hold on to them (for the time being at least). We've both seen too many good people lose their jobs during this crisis as well as see plenty of idiots "rise to the top" because of family ties.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:32 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Yes your wife was very lucky, as indeed have been a few other people I know. But there aren't that many Ernst and Youngs around to recruit people, and the majority of law graduates have to contend with either being becarios or trying something else.

As it happens my wife tried something else and is doing fine as a fund analyst with an American investment bank. And I'm doing fine as well for that matter. But neither of us would be so arrogant and deluded as to come out with a phrase like "The cream always rises to the top, even in Spain" just because we were fortunate enough to get decent jobs during the good times and hold on to them (for the time being at least). We've both seen too many good people lose their jobs during this crisis as well as see plenty of idiots "rise to the top" because of family ties.
Fantastic post.
Old Apr 15th 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We've both seen too many good people lose their jobs during this crisis as well as see plenty of idiots "rise to the top" because of family ties.
That's true as well, but the best people will bounce back!

There are not many opportunities out there, but there are opportunities

The ones who have the worst problems are those under 30 of course. I think at this stage people have to go anywhere in the world where they can find a really good position and then come back to Spain with a much better CV and hopefully with a job attached

That is basically what the wife and I did
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
You really do make some great comments.

Yes your lot are unusual, for a start not many women of your mother in laws age worked when they had children.

Also not many Spanish couples get in the region of 7k (I think that was the latest figure you published) a month pension, and they think that is should be more, as you also stated.

I knew the crocodile tears would not last long. Welcome back to the cricketman of old, the one we know, the empathy you showed to the unfortunate never seemed quite genuine anyway.

Welcome back.
Did you really mean 7k a MONTH pension?
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Did you really mean 7k a MONTH pension?
Yes

Again, I feel like I am fighting against a barrier of prejudice on this site

If you earn over 35k per year then you get the top Spanish state pension, which is 2.5k per month each. Plus private pensions come on top of this

I wanted to make the point that this seems generous compared to the UK system, but of course everyone on here says nobody earns that amount in Spain even though almost everyone I know does earn more than that

Maybe it is because most people here live in the South?

Chopera, your wife must be on a good salary being a trader? Back me up here!
Old Apr 15th 2014, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricketman;11219913]Yes

Again, I feel like I am fighting against a barrier of prejudice on this site

If you earn over 35k per year then you get the top Spanish state pension, which is 2.5k per month each. Plus private pensions come on top of this

I wanted to make the point that this seems generous compared to the UK system, but of course everyone on here says nobody earns that amount in Spain even though almost everyone I know does earn more than that

Maybe it is because most people here live in the South?

Chopera, your wife must be on a good salary being a trader? Back me up here![/

7k per month is astronomical for a pension, by anyone's standard! If most people you know get more than that then you must move in a very elite circle!
Many get 7 k pension a year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.