Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to Sleep in the Spanish Heat

How to Sleep in the Spanish Heat

Old Jul 13th 2015, 9:05 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to Sleep in the Spanish Heat

How to sleep in the Spanish heat | In English | EL PAÍS
Old Jul 13th 2015, 9:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to Sleep in the Spanish Heat

I just run the AC all night. The secret is to use a high setting. I find 26 degrees about right and the compressor only runs for about 10% of the time. The fan runs all the time. The cost is negligible.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 9:36 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I just run the AC all night. The secret is to use a high setting. I find 26 degrees about right and the compressor only runs for about 10% of the time. The fan runs all the time. The cost is negligible.
You are fortunate in having a modern house with good insulation.

Most of the older ones are a problem and after a week or more of really hot weather the solid walls behave like radiators, still giving off heat right through the night.

Like many others I've tried to avoid aircon, because firstly it is an expensive way to control the temperature in older houses and secondly it makes it more difficult to adjust to the heat when going outside.

I wasn't greatly impressed with some of the tips in the link, but one thing I have done is to stick a fan into an opened window space on a night time to pull in as much cool night air as possible, then close all windows and doors through the day.

Only problem of course is it allows the Mozzies to come in at night.
I have Mosquito nets available for the windows of course, but the problem is that they virtually stop the circulation of air unless it is very breezy which is rarely the case during the hot spells.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

Two bottles of wine seems to work well.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:35 am
Just Joined

stevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to beholdstevescot is a splendid one to behold

I think that's known as a coma...
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We have insect netting up at all windows so we have the option of leaving windows open all the time. What we do during the day is have windows open in all rooms and leave the doors wedged open as well., you get a constant airflow. During the day we have draw curtains across the windows so you still get the airflow but the curtains absorb most of the sun/heat. Night time the windows are still left open but with the curtains drawn back.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 8:12 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
We have insect netting up at all windows so we have the option of leaving windows open all the time. What we do during the day is have windows open in all rooms and leave the doors wedged open as well., you get a constant airflow. During the day we have draw curtains across the windows so you still get the airflow but the curtains absorb most of the sun/heat. Night time the windows are still left open but with the curtains drawn back.
You can only get an airflow if the air is actually moving or if there is at least a bit of a breeze which is often not the case during the hottest spells, even then I find the Mozzie nets do tend to restrict the air movement.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Where do you live DD, what is the night temp like, I made a very simple system if you are handy with low voltage stuff... we don't use our AC unless the outside temp goes over 28 at night.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 6:03 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Fill old plastic water bottles and freeze them, place them in front of the fan.
Your freezer is on anyway so the additional cost is minimal.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 7:14 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Fill old plastic water bottles and freeze them, place them in front of the fan.
Your freezer is on anyway so the additional cost is minimal.
... only if your freezer is not in the house. Freezing the bottles in the freezer will cause the freezer to generate more heat than the melting ice will dissipate. Obviously.
Old Jul 14th 2015, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

cupcakebarb is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with cardi 2 bottles wine works well x
Old Jul 15th 2015, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Where do you live DD, what is the night temp like, I made a very simple system if you are handy with low voltage stuff... we don't use our AC unless the outside temp goes over 28 at night.
Last night we had to cover up it was too cold all for 10WAh. Outside min was 24C.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice

I use one of these
Amazon Amazon

which I had delivered from France (nearest supplier at that time).

Not cheap but utterly divine to use. Warm in winter, cool in summer. I never use my AC (it makes me sniffle).

I also use chillows which are fabulous too
Old Jul 15th 2015, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Ceiling fans work well in Madrid. Might not be so effective in more humid areas.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dairymaid
I use one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Climsom-457-.../dp/B0049V126M

which I had delivered from France (nearest supplier at that time).

Not cheap but utterly divine to use. Warm in winter, cool in summer. I never use my AC (it makes me sniffle).

I also use chillows which are fabulous too
Don't you get a cold bum and sweaty top bits if you lay on your back for example:LOL:

Last edited by Maybe1day; Jul 15th 2015 at 2:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.