Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How is this possible? What can I do?

How is this possible? What can I do?

Old Jun 17th 2021, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Gra76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How is this possible? What can I do?

Originally Posted by Howmuch
Do you still have the same passport ?

if it expired and you now have a new one, you have a different number so you won’t get stopped once you arrive in Gran Canaria.
It’s still the same passport so that won’t make any difference.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Howmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gra76
It’s still the same passport so that won’t make any difference.
it’s a crazy situation and will be difficult to resolve, I’m sure you’ll be anxious flying to Gran Canaria.

It may be best applying for a new passport otherwise you could face even more problems that you really shouldn’t have to, it’ll be a lot cheaper than €300 too.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

How would you go about it on the island (uk)? It is probably the same here but in Spanish. Telephone the clerk of the court.

The only problem you may run into is that it might require a spanish bank account to pay online or even on the telephone.

try calling these people - Spanish Tax Agency - AEAT
Old Jun 18th 2021, 7:52 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howmuch
it’s a crazy situation and will be difficult to resolve, I’m sure you’ll be anxious flying to Gran Canaria.

It may be best applying for a new passport otherwise you could face even more problems that you really shouldn’t have to, it’ll be a lot cheaper than €300 too.
I doubt it is that easy? All the criminals would be able to avoid detection.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a while back a very similar thread. I posted this link on there which basically outlines an online conversation re how to deal with this issue. To have any hope of sorting this out you wlll need the proper details of the court etc that issued the fine, fine details references etc.
https://www.justanswer.co.uk/spanish...paid-when.html
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's that old thread
Unpaid Court Fine in Spain
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

A Spanish lawyer woul help but you would need to offer to pay before they would actively do anything. They will be able to make enquiries to the police etc. I am far from am expert but if what you say is true then if the Scotttish crime data base has a record of you being guilty of a crime then it has to be more serious than some minor infringement or a fine. If you , as you say merely offered assistance if needed in a trial and now have been found guilty of a crime you did not commit and were neither contacted nor represented in a court case then you have a duty to report this to the relevant authorities as this would be a very serious abuse of power. If it were me I would take this very seriously and would not be considering just clearing it up so I can come on holiday as such actions ( to people not knowing the full details) would suggest that you may have been avoiding the law and you most likely will be arrested.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

There is no "abuse" of power. Somewhere along the line he missed something. You can be tried and found guilty in many EU countries even if you are not there in person.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Here's that old thread
Unpaid Court Fine in Spain

Okay so what happened was. This guy went back to Spain. Was stopped at airport. Detained for 6 days and received a 3 month suspended sentence. He had previously faced a fine of 2000 euros. So I guess they will stop the OP at airport and I would imagine they will treat it quite seriously. The OP must contact the consulate both Spanish and UK one.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where did you get the details that this fine was 5 euros per day for a month? Is that on the CRB record? If it is then surely if they have such detail on the record then the full details are on there court issuing fine reference number etc. Have you changed address from the details you provided the Spanish police at the time of speaking to them? If not then why have they never contacted you to inform you they were pursuing the matter and that you had been fined by a court in your absence? If you have these details from the CRB record I would contact the Spanish embassy and take it from there. Yes you can be tried in absence for instance if someone refuses to attend or fails to appear at court, you have to be given the opportunity to attend and represent yourself by at least notification to the address you have provided the police with? Also any fine has to be served by at least registered post to the address provided? What you outline would be great for any police to clear up their cases they just randomly prosecute and fine anyone who's details they have? If you have not had anything whatsoever by way of information re this then the legal system has failed. I know traffic fines can be dealt with by photographic evidence only but even then the information must be sent to the person concerned within time limits, criminal offences are another matter. Somethings gone way wrong or there is a piece of this jigsaw missing.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Okay so what happened was. This guy went back to Spain. Was stopped at airport. Detained for 6 days and received a 3 month suspended sentence. He had previously faced a fine of 2000 euros. So I guess they will stop the OP at airport and I would imagine they will treat it quite seriously. The OP must contact the consulate both Spanish and UK one.
I totally agree hence my previous post
Old Jun 18th 2021, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Howmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond repute

I just had a post removed for breaking rule number 2 which also removed my offer of help

Your only real option is to contact a Spanish solicitor to pay the fine, the original court case is closed and based on a policeman's evidence so the conviction will stay regardless of your innocence, you'll just end up paying the fine and the solicitor for his time.

I have just spoken to a solicitor and she doesn't believe there is any central database here in Spain that you can put your passport number to bring up the details, she says you should have been notified at the address you gave at the time for both the court date and outcome which corresponds with what others have said here.

You should have been given a number
numero de procedimiento judicial
if you have this, probably on the CRB you received you will then be able to contact any court in Menorca to clarify the situation and they will give you details on how to pay, if you have this and don't want to pay a solicitor send me a pm and I can have someone speak to the courts on your behalf and forward you what you need to do to have the fine removed.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

I honestly think the first thing to do is contact the consulate. This is not some fine for speeding or non payment of a debt etc. The OP is registered as having a criminal conviction. Simply paying the fine will not clear the conviction. The OP will need to present himself in front of a judge to have the conviction assessed to determine if further measures should be taken or the conviction reviewed.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I honestly think the first thing to do is contact the consulate. This is not some fine for speeding or non payment of a debt etc. The OP is registered as having a criminal conviction. Simply paying the fine will not clear the conviction. The OP will need to present himself in front of a judge to have the conviction assessed to determine if further measures should be taken or the conviction reviewed.
Is this point of view a one from the UK or of the Spanish justice system? Sentences 2 years and under here do not usually mean going to prison.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

The UKs extremely simple and fast compared to Spain.

The consulate will refer you to a solicitor, a decent one will say pay it and move on, others will start an expensive slow legal fight with little hope of achieving anything other than draining your bank account.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.