Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

how much reregister in UK not Spain.

how much reregister in UK not Spain.

Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default how much reregister in UK not Spain.

How much would it be to reregister the car on UK plates in the UK?
I have had a car in Spain for almost 6 months now.
If I replate, it will be around EUR1,000 + the 12% impuesta (BTW is this 12% of the current value)?

Is it possible to replate the car, but then have it replated again if I take it back to the UK in another 6 months?

I realise there is a grey area here over the 6 months in any 12 month of 6 months per calendar year so perhaps I have until June.

I heard there was such a thing as tourist plates....(Tourist Plates: "Z" plates )

Last edited by Scribble; Mar 8th 2011 at 2:14 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:11 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much reregister in UK not Spain.

I find it is a lot less hassle and possibly cheaper to have two cars.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by missile
I find it is a lot less hassle and possibly cheaper to have two cars.
Yeah, unfortunately, if you're here temporarily but for longer than 6 months it causes an issue. Perhaps we could buy an old banger somewhere but then second hand cars a notoriously dodgy in Spain.
I thought a loophole might be these tourist plates...
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
Yeah, unfortunately, if you're here temporarily but for longer than 6 months it causes an issue. Perhaps we could buy an old banger somewhere but then second hand cars a notoriously dodgy in Spain.
I thought a loophole might be these tourist plates...
If it was a useful loophole the roads would be full of Brit cars on tourist plates.

I have never seen one!

You can reregister a UK car that has been registered in Spain fairly easily and cheaply as DVLA have all the records.

The biggest hassle will be getting it deregistered before you leave Spain.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fred James
If it was a useful loophole the roads would be full of Brit cars on tourist plates.

I have never seen one!

You can reregister a UK car that has been registered in Spain fairly easily and cheaply as DVLA have all the records.

The biggest hassle will be getting it deregistered before you leave Spain.
I've actually seen 1 GBZ plate near where I am but I think you have to renew them, which adds cost.

Any options I can do with loopholes just for a few months?
Buying a use car is likely more expensive than replating but then as above, you've listed the deregistering as an issue afterwards.

I assume the 6 months is from the date of the NIE number but the car has just been retaxed and has a valid MOT until September.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually seen 1 GBZ plate near where I am but I think you have to renew them, which adds cost.

Any options I can do with loopholes just for a few months?
Buying a use car is likely more expensive than replating but then as above, you've listed the deregistering as an issue afterwards.

I assume the 6 months is from the date of the NIE number but the car has just been retaxed and has a valid MOT until September.
6 months is from the date the car came into Spain, and you will have to prove the date as the usual thing with motoring problems like this is you are guilty till you prove you are innocent, and you car can be impounded at the roadside and you would be left without transport.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikelincs
6 months is from the date the car came into Spain, and you will have to prove the date as the usual thing with motoring problems like this is you are guilty till you prove you are innocent, and you car can be impounded at the roadside and you would be left without transport.
According to this: http://spain.angloinfo.com/countries...toregister.asp
it is the person not the car. Therefore legal proof would be the NIE.
Also, I have seen some suggestions that it is 6 months in any calendar year not 6 months continuous.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

According to this: http://spain.angloinfo.com/countries...toregister.asp
it is the person not the car. Therefore legal proof would be the NIE.
Also, I have seen some suggestions that it is 6 months in any calendar year not 6 months continuous.
It is 6 months in any 12 month period, which would start from the day you entered, so you can't have your car in Spain for more than 6 months before the anniversary of first entry.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It is 6 months in any 12 month period, which would start from the day you entered, so you can't have your car in Spain for more than 6 months before the anniversary of first entry.
It's a calendar year - just like tax residency. If you entered on July 1st you could, in theory, drive it for 12 months.

The car can stay in Spain as long as it is legal (ie taxed and insured and if relevant, MOT'd). It should garaged when not being used.

Essentially, tax residents cannot drive a foreign car - non residents can subject to the usage and legality rules.

Before anyone comes up with the 90 day registration rule - this does not make you tax resident and does not affect the above rules.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

It's a calendar year - just like tax residency. If you entered on July 1st you could, in theory, drive it for 12 months.

The car can stay in Spain as long as it is legal (ie taxed and insured and if relevant, MOT'd). It should garaged when not being used.

Essentially, tax residents cannot drive a foreign car - non residents can subject to the usage and legality rules.

Before anyone comes up with the 90 day registration rule - this does not make you tax resident and does not affect the above rules.
You become tax resident automatically after 183 days though?
Which for me is April.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:14 pm

You become tax resident automatically after 183 days though?
Which for me is April.
No that can't be right.

You become tax resident after spending 183 days in one calendar year in Spain.

On that basis April is too early.

However when you do exceed the 183 days you become tax resident for the whole of that tax year.

We are getting off topic now - if you want to continue the tax residency issue you can start another thread.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of changing plates depends on engine size and age of the car, not as black and white as you have said OP, 7% for cars with engines under 1600cc it is 12% if over. our cars didnt cost 1000euros plus this, our Discovery was older and cost all included about 750euros total.

So all depends on age and engine size. there are lots of information on here from previous posts.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by pwwm
Cost of changing plates depends on engine size and age of the car, not as black and white as you have said OP, 7% for cars with engines under 1600cc it is 12% if over. our cars didnt cost 1000euros plus this, our Discovery was older and cost all included about 750euros total.

So all depends on age and engine size. there are lots of information on here from previous posts.
I'm sorry but that changed a couple of years ago.

The matriculation tax is now based on CO2 emissions, not engine size/fuel.

There are 4 tax bands from 0% to 14.75%.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

No that can't be right.

You become tax resident after spending 183 days in one calendar year in Spain.

On that basis April is too early.

However when you do exceed the 183 days you become tax resident for the whole of that tax year.

We are getting off topic now - if you want to continue the tax residency issue you can start another thread.
Yep, true for got about that.
So, any thoughts on what I have as alternatives?
I guess the only option is to get another car from somewhere.
Is there any legality in the situation for residency? I thought the car situation was for peopl who had registered as permanent on the padron not just because they had been there for 183 days.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:44 am

Yep, true for got about that.
So, any thoughts on what I have as alternatives?
I guess the only option is to get another car from somewhere.
Is there any legality in the situation for residency? I thought the car situation was for peopl who had registered as permanent on the padron not just because they had been there for 183 days.
As others have said, best option is get a cheap s/h car in Spain.

The residency situation is confused and to some extent contradictory.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the legality of residency.

Certainly tax residency is clearly defined and so is the requirement to register on the register of foreigners.

The padron is less clear as in some areas the town hall has encouraged anyone with a holiday property or rental contract to sign on. However the relevant law clearly states you are only supposed to sign on the padron if your "Habitual Home" is in the locality which in itself would imply tax residency.

As I said earlier if you want to pursue the residency issue in its own right please start a new thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.