Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How much do I need to satisfy residency application?

How much do I need to satisfy residency application?

Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

twhiteuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How much do I need to satisfy residency application?

Hi, I'm thinking about moving to Spain. I wish to register for residency on arrival. I'm not planning to work for several months and I need to know how much I need to prove I have to still be acceptable for residency (assuming a lump sum of cash and not a regular income is permissible). As I understand it, there are 2 criteria and its the second (ii) i'm worried about!

c) People who do not work in Spain must produce documentation proving that they comply with the following two conditions:
i. health insurance etc
ii. have sufficient resources, for themselves and their family members, not to become a burden on Spain’s social assistance system during their period of residence. Proof of the possession of sufficient resources, whether from regular income, including work income or income of another kind, or from ownership of assets, will be given by any legally admissible evidence, such as property deeds, certified cheques, documentation proving that income from capital is received or credit cards. In this latter case, an up to date bank certificate proving the amount available by way of credit on the aforesaid card shall be produced. The assessment of sufficient resources must be carried out on an individual basis, taking into account the applicant’s personal and family circumstances. The possession of resources that are more than the amount established each year by the State General Budgets Act “Ley de Presupuestos Generales de Estado” that justifies the right to receive non-contributory benefits, taking into account the interested persons’ personal and family circumstances, will be regarded as sufficient proof to meet this requirement"

Does anyone know how much is regarded as enough? And is having that amount fine or do you need to prove a regular income? Perhaps my best option is to get a job before applying for residency, if that's the case how much does it need to pay to satisfy the criteria for residency?

Huge thank you in advance to everyone offering advice! Tina
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much do I need to satisfy residency application?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 19th 2018, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I very recently took residency as we own our house outright there was no requirement to prove income or amount in the the bank. However the amount had i needed it was i believe 5400 euros individual or around 480 per month.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twhiteuk
Hi, I'm thinking about moving to Spain. I wish to register for residency on arrival. I'm not planning to work for several months and I need to know how much I need to prove I have to still be acceptable for residency (assuming a lump sum of cash and not a regular income is permissible). As I understand it, there are 2 criteria and its the second (ii) i'm worried about!

c) People who do not work in Spain must produce documentation proving that they comply with the following two conditions:
i. health insurance etc
ii. have sufficient resources, for themselves and their family members, not to become a burden on Spain’s social assistance system during their period of residence. Proof of the possession of sufficient resources, whether from regular income, including work income or income of another kind, or from ownership of assets, will be given by any legally admissible evidence, such as property deeds, certified cheques, documentation proving that income from capital is received or credit cards. In this latter case, an up to date bank certificate proving the amount available by way of credit on the aforesaid card shall be produced. The assessment of sufficient resources must be carried out on an individual basis, taking into account the applicant’s personal and family circumstances. The possession of resources that are more than the amount established each year by the State General Budgets Act “Ley de Presupuestos Generales de Estado” that justifies the right to receive non-contributory benefits, taking into account the interested persons’ personal and family circumstances, will be regarded as sufficient proof to meet this requirement"

Does anyone know how much is regarded as enough? And is having that amount fine or do you need to prove a regular income? Perhaps my best option is to get a job before applying for residency, if that's the case how much does it need to pay to satisfy the criteria for residency?

Huge thank you in advance to everyone offering advice! Tina
Firstly it can depend on the area where you intend to reside as I believe a "regular income" can differ in different areas. It's my understanding that if you have a large amount in a bank account and have a valid credit card then that can be acceptable as sufficient.

You do not mention if you will be coming to live here on your own or with dependants as that would increase the "income" figure somewhat significantly.

You will definitely need to prove to the authorities that you have a regular income by means of Spanish bank account statements and as you have already stated, you will need to show you have full healthcare cover for yourself (and all dependants)

You may find it difficult to find employment as Spain has one of the highest unemployment rate within the eurozone. Whatever employment you prefer you will most likely need to speak some level of Spanish, if not fluent.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old Jan 24th 2018, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I very recently took residency as we own our house outright there was no requirement to prove income or amount in the the bank. However the amount had i needed it was i believe 5400 euros individual or around 480 per month.
We own our home outright, My wife and I are both retired on (almost ) full state pension and I have a local government ( teacher) pension and we had over 5,000 euros in the bank. We were told in no uncertain terms that this was insuffecient to live on here in Andalucia. Luckly on our second application for residencia we were told by the same persion that it was. So as usual here in Spain it all depends on the functionario, and what mood he/she happens to be in on the day.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
We own our home outright, My wife and I are both retired on (almost ) full state pension and I have a local government ( teacher) pension and we had over 5,000 euros in the bank. We were told in no uncertain terms that this was insuffecient to live on here in Andalucia. Luckly on our second application for residencia we were told by the same persion that it was. So as usual here in Spain it all depends on the functionario, and what mood he/she happens to be in on the day.
Yes the ever changing rules depending who you speak with. The ownership without debt on the house was all i required in November. Main thing they seemed bothered with was proof it was debt free and the full comprehensive medical insurance.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 7:21 am
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

The day we went was a eye opener, after all the hassle of getting paperwork sorted the guy in front of us did not have his income paper work, guess what..... did not matter he got his Residencia. So it is all down to the person at the other side of the desk. it was full so maybe he thought lets get throw this quickly.
Good luck