Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How much to charge for English lessons?

How much to charge for English lessons?

Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:57 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default How much to charge for English lessons?

I have been asked by a local Spanish women to give some conversation lessons.

Up here in Asturias, native English speakers are very rare.

I am unsure about prices - I looked in the local paper but the few English teachers do not publish their rates. I also looked in the Lo Quo website and again, few rates are published. I did see a few advertised. They are experienced teachers in the capital Oviedo who advertised 15 euros per hour.

Does anyone have an idea of what I should charge?

I do have the TEFL certificate.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:09 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much to charge for English lessons?

Originally Posted by manamama

I am unsure about prices - I looked in the local paper but the few English teachers do not publish their rates. I also looked in the Lo Quo website and again, few rates are published. I did see a few advertised. They are experienced teachers in the capital Oviedo who advertised 15 euros per hour.

around here we charge 10-15 euros an hour
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by manamama

When you say "the TEFL certificate" you mean the CELTA, right? Not one of the Mickey Mouse versions?

Prices will vary according to region. I would say 10€ per hour would be about right for an UNQUALIFIED teacher giving a conversation class. 15 euros an hour if you are qualified and experienced. 18€ per hour or more in the larger cities.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:05 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
When you say "the TEFL certificate" you mean the CELTA, right? Not one of the Mickey Mouse versions?
Can you/anyone explain a little about the various TEFL qualifications please? It's just that a friend is presently doing an online TEFL course (I don't know what he ends up with at the end of it, I think it's costing a few hundred euro) and is convinced that when he completes it he will be greatly sought after (and qualified) to teach English to businesses and at language academies. Is there something he doesn't know?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Can you/anyone explain a little about the various TEFL qualifications please? It's just that a friend is presently doing an online TEFL course (I don't know what he ends up with at the end of it, I think it's costing a few hundred euro) and is convinced that when he completes it he will be greatly sought after (and qualified) to teach English to businesses and at language academies. Is there something he doesn't know?
he might well be 'qualified', but he won't be as sought after as someone with a CELTA, although it will depend upon where he wants to work - some places will accept an online TEFL

whether or not he will actually be capable of teaching is another matter entirely!

I know someone who did an online course & did indeed get a job in an academy in Denia - he very quickly realised that he was woefully 'unqualified'
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
he might well be 'qualified', but he won't be as sought after as someone with a CELTA, although it will depend upon where he wants to work - some places will accept an online TEFL

whether or not he will actually be capable of teaching is another matter entirely!

I know someone who did an online course & did indeed get a job in an academy in Denia - he very quickly realised that he was woefully 'unqualified'

If I were you I wouldnt charge, but ask the lady to teach you Spanish at the same time. Would be well worth ther investment
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:17 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by cricketman
If I were you I wouldnt charge, but ask the lady to teach you Spanish at the same time. Would be well worth ther investment
not me you dingbat!!!

great idea for the OP though
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
not me you dingbat!!!

great idea for the OP though
yes sorry, got the quotes mixed up!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I agree with Lynxxa. Any self-respecting language academy worth its salt is not going to recognise any of the Mickey Mouse qualifications. That is not to say that some of the questionable academies wouldn't accept them, but I suspect that the pay would not be so good.

I'm afraid the online courses are a bit of a joke, and the people who run these couses are in my opinion nothing more than scammers. No doubt when you are signing on the dotted line and parting with your hard earnt money they tell you that their TEFL qualification will prepare you for anything and get you access into all the language academies, but it's not true.

The CELTA is the industry standard.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:17 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Lynxxa. Any self-respecting language academy worth its salt is not going to recognise any of the Mickey Mouse qualifications. That is not to say that some of the questionable academies wouldn't accept them, but I suspect that the pay would not be so good.

I'm afraid the online courses are a bit of a joke, and the people who run these couses are in my opinion nothing more than scammers. No doubt when you are signing on the dotted line and parting with your hard earnt money they tell you that their TEFL qualification will prepare you for anything and get you access into all the language academies, but it's not true.

The CELTA is the industry standard.
As far as I'm aware the CertTESOL and the TEFL certificate are taken as very similar, so long as the qualification is accredited by the British Council. They both have a similar minimum requirement eg one hundred hours of instruction and six hours of supervised teaching practice (I'm not sure how this is done with distance learning which is available for both TEFL Certificate and CertTESOL; I imagine that only part of the course can be done remotely). The TESOL diploma is the next step if you want to get ahead in this career.
Of course, as in a lot of jobs, it's experience that counts. For example if you want lucrative Business English classes, experience (and the ability to speak Spanish) will trump the qualifications (important though they may be).
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

sjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant futuresjjs has a brilliant future

The issue with qualifications is complex. CELTA is arguably the best qualification but it's very intensive and really only for teachers who have got a few years experience under their belts. It's not for newcomers who will struggle with it.

There are some great entry level TEFL cert courses out there and there's also a lot of rubbish ones.

Take a look at http://teflcoursereview.com where former students rate and review their courses. It makes for interesting reading!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
As far as I'm aware the CertTESOL and the TEFL certificate are taken as very similar, so long as the qualification is accredited by the British Council. They both have a similar minimum requirement eg one hundred hours of instruction and six hours of supervised teaching practice (I'm not sure how this is done with distance learning which is available for both TEFL Certificate and CertTESOL; I imagine that only part of the course can be done remotely). The TESOL diploma is the next step if you want to get ahead in this career.
Of course, as in a lot of jobs, it's experience that counts. For example if you want lucrative Business English classes, experience (and the ability to speak Spanish) will trump the qualifications (important though they may be).
When you say "the TEFL certificate" which one are you referring to?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

When you say "the TEFL certificate" which one are you referring to?
The one you take on (normally) a four week course where you also start to give lessons to English-learners in order to fulfill your 6 hours minimum. I may be wrong, but so long as you're trained by qualified trainers, you'll learn about phonetics or class control just as quickly/slowly with either course if the hours are the same.
You know, thinking about it, although the initial 4 week course (whether it be TEFL or CELTA) for your certificate is very useful, it's not until you have a few weeks/months under your belt that you really develop basic teaching skills.
Very interesting thread this! I may try to get back into teaching if my search for an IT job continues to go nowhere.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

When I took my Tesol I cried, it was such a shock and I am British. I think that we Brits are probably the worst at languages because very few of us actually use our own properly.

I and probably many others went through school not knowing a preposition, verb, noun etc let alone the more obscure technicalities although we use them daily when it comes to actually breaking down a sentance it was a very different matter. I had to go right back to basics and learn what most children of other cultures learn at kindergarten, now that should be more embarrassing for the Brits than not being able to converse in any language.

My daughter, her friends and alot of people my age can not even write without shortening it to a few letters and they say texting is a technological breakthrough, I hate texting as I am one of those that write complete and understandable texts.

Even with a tesol certificate I would be happier to teach for free and improve my understanding of Spanish. One thing going back to basics did, it allowed me to get a basic grasp other languages more quickly at least enough to be understood.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 10:27 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jay01
When I took my Tesol I cried, it was such a shock and I am British. I think that we Brits are probably the worst at languages because very few of us actually use our own properly.

I and probably many others went through school not knowing a preposition, verb, noun etc let alone the more obscure technicalities although we use them daily when it comes to actually breaking down a sentance it was a very different matter. I had to go right back to basics and learn what most children of other cultures learn at kindergarten, now that should be more embarrassing for the Brits than not being able to converse in any language.

My daughter, her friends and alot of people my age can not even write without shortening it to a few letters and they say texting is a technological breakthrough, I hate texting as I am one of those that write complete and understandable texts.

Even with a tesol certificate I would be happier to teach for free and improve my understanding of Spanish. One thing going back to basics did, it allowed me to get a basic grasp other languages more quickly at least enough to be understood.
When did you go to school? I certainly learnt what verbs or nouns were, but we're talking "ancient history" now (60s/70s). Teaching standards have definitely changed, and not just in regards to the English language. How many Maths pupils now learn logarithms or how to use a slide rule?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.