Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How many €'s will I get for my £ at an ATM

How many €'s will I get for my £ at an ATM

Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of
Default How many €'s will I get for my £ at an ATM

Current rate in travel shops in Rugby is 1.174 to the £ or if you buy £500 of €'s one place will give you £10 extra.

How does this compare at present if you withdraw €'s from your UK bank at an ATM in Spain.

You get conflicting info from most people who have recently returned from holidays and an input from those currently making ATM withdrawals would/could be helpful.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many €'s will I get for my £ at an ATM

It depends on the card you use.

A typical charge is 2% added to the bill and possibly a transaction charge as well. The rate you get depends on the bank.

On credit cards you also get charged exorbitant interest from the day you withdraw the money until the day it is paid off, possibly a month later.

Nationwide had a great system where they gave you a good rate with no charges but they are soon withdrawing that facility.

If you work on 2-3% off the inter bank rate you won't be far off.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about

Will possibly bin Nationwide after November and may start and buy currency before I go abroad.

This is one of the best rates I have found, free delivery as well.
todays rate is 1.194e to the £

http://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com/
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Casita
Will possibly bin Nationwide after November and may start and buy currency before I go abroad.

This is one of the best rates I have found, free delivery as well.
todays rate is 1.194e to the £

http://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com/
Buying from Coop Travel if I buy £500 of € they will give me another £10's worth meaning I get the equivalent of 1.197 and I need at least that amount so it looks like I will be visiting them.

Fred, I use Nationwide debit card when visiting Spain (for now and up to November). What I need to know is if I use that card now what rate will I get in Spain - is it going to be better than €1.197
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody knows, tomorrow one of the gov could say something stupid like they do quite regular and the pound will drop.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about

I think it's a risk you'll have to take, when we were over in late June we were getting different rates every few days with our Nationwide debit card., however Nationwide are supposed to give you the best rate, something to do with the Visa rate.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justlookin
Current rate in travel shops in Rugby is 1.174 to the £ or if you buy £500 of €'s one place will give you £10 extra.

How does this compare at present if you withdraw €'s from your UK bank at an ATM in Spain.

You get conflicting info from most people who have recently returned from holidays and an input from those currently making ATM withdrawals would/could be helpful.
I use a Nationwide card and my experience is that you normally get something very close to the rates quoted by the BBC on their website.

Here is the Link with the current days prices

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/news/busin...3/intraday.stm
Old Aug 4th 2010, 10:10 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would caution against carrying a large amount of money from the UK. I would suggest it safer to get money from an ATM as and when you need it.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

The ATM I use most regularly with my Nationwide card asks if I want to be charged in £ or € (Solbank) and offers their rate before I press anything.

For comparison on 2nd Aug it offered me 1.179 while Nationwide gave me 1.204 so methinks it's not too bad a rate for the tourist (the Spanish bank) but not too good for the resident with a pension paid in the UK. (thousands of us)

Last edited by lyric030250; Aug 5th 2010 at 8:09 am. Reason: correcting number sequence !
Old Aug 5th 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lyric050203
The ATM I use most regularly with my Nationwide card asks if I want to be charged in £ or € (Solbank) and offers their rate before I press anything.

For comparison on 2nd Aug it offered me 1.179 while Nationwide gave me 1.204 so methinks it's not too bad a rate for the tourist (the Spanish bank) but not too good for the resident with a pension paid in the UK. (thousands of us)
Many thanks - just what I was looking for

To all others who have posted replies again many thanks