Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How long are the Residence Cards for Family Members taking these days?

How long are the Residence Cards for Family Members taking these days?

Old Jun 3rd 2021, 9:21 am
Just Joined

mazza92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long are the Residence Cards for Family Members taking these days?

Hi everyone.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm married to a Spanish citizen and going to submit everything for my Tarjeta de Familiar on June 18th. My lawyer is saying it will take 3 months minimum to receive the resolution of the application i.e. the card. What's your experiences? Are there any ways to speed it up?

I have a job offer in Spain and worried they won't wait that long for me to sort my papers out.

Thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 10:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long are the Residence Cards for Family Members taking these days?

Depends on which office will be dealing with your application because this varies such a lot from area to area. If you say which province you are planning to settle in it might help with the replies.

Rosemary
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Default Re: How long are the Residence Cards for Family Members taking these days?

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Depends on which office will be dealing with your application because this varies such a lot from area to area. If you say which province you are planning to settle in it might help with the replies.

Rosemary
The office is Barcelona
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It is what it is. https://www.barcelona.cat/internatio...na-de-la-union
If you translate from Google:
  • You should know that the deadline to submit the application to obtain the residence card of a relative of the EU citizen is three months from the date of entry into Spain.
  • Once the application is made, you will receive a receipt certifying the presentation of said application, which is sufficient to prove that the card is in the process of applying for the card.
The last step number 9 is also explained:
Collect your residence card. Once the fingerprints have been taken and within a period of approximately 45 days, you will be able to go and collect the residence card of a family member of a citizen of the Union.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 3rd 2021 at 1:42 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2021, 5:34 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Read/point your lawyer to this page:

https://residenciayestancia.wordpres...union-europea/

You supposedly already have the right to work even though you don't yet have the card. The resguardo should be enough. Convincing everyone of that might be more difficult.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DLC
Read/point your lawyer to this page:

You supposedly already have the right to work even though you don't yet have the card. The resguardo should be enough. Convincing everyone of that might be more difficult.
Thanks - already did as I really wanted to believe that too! Unfortunately the lawyer was not convinced. She said the resguardo acreditivo just says you're waiting for a resolution, not proof of the (favourable) resolucion itself. Do you know anyone who's actually exercised the rights without the tarjeta?
Old Jun 4th 2021, 2:53 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid I don't know anyone who's gone this route. I guess there's always a tiny chance you could be turned down, but you are already fulfilling the conditions by being the family member of an EU citizen who's working in Spain.

Whether a company wants to take you on with just a NIE until you get the card is something else, they usually want a scan of your card to prove you're in Spain legally, not a scan of your marriage certificate/civil partnership, partner's contract, resguardo, padrĂ³n, and whatever else.