Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How Long Have You Lived Here?

How Long Have You Lived Here?

Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:08 pm
Banned

pchelpinenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How Long Have You Lived Here?

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
I don't think you want to come back. I've been back for a mth after 15 years away & it seems that everything is so expensive in London.
but are you comparing wages aswell... the minimum wage in spain is less than uk and many work without contracts for much lower than the minimum tehy dare not complain else they'd have no work...
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pchelpinenglish
but are you comparing wages aswell... the minimum wage in spain is less than uk and many work without contracts for much lower than the minimum tehy dare not complain else they'd have no work...
Off topic I know but lots of people seem to talk about the minimum wage in Spain. Do the majority of expats really earn so little??????
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
Well I fall into that age group at 41 & very much am thinking of the future. Property prices in the campo have dropped approx 50% so we've bought what is in my opinion an absolute bargain which should double in value within 5-10 years (at which stage I'll sell up, downsize & be mortgage free).

In this modern era not everybody needs to change jobs to move abroad. More & more work from home so providing you have telephone/internet it doesn't matter where you live. One friend of mine sits by the pool each day wearing a bluetooth headset giving computer advice to people daft enough do ring a £1.99 per minute helpline. Don't worry about the pension fund either cos I still manage to put 5% away each month.

It isn't all doom & gloom. Yes there is a recession on & yes people need to think seriously about work before moving but the same can be said for anybody thinking of moving back to the UK
It's not all pavements made of gold either in the UK. You won't find the steel workers made redundant in Middlesbrough in a good mood, nor the workers at Sheffield Forgemasters now the incoming government has cut off the financing. I'm lucky enough to be in a decent contract now, but had a year without work and there were plenty in the same boat. I see plenty of people at both ends of the scale in London - if you can get a job here great, but be warned you won't last long if you don't as prices as so high. Having said that, a lot of Spanish companies are building up their presence in the UK (eg Zara, Mango, Santander are still looking to buy up RBS), so those Spanish lessons may still be of use?
Interesting about the computer support guy. More and more software applications are going to be supplied via the web (look up Software as a Service ie SaaS) which makes it very cheap and easily available to companies wanting to cut their bloated IT departments, yet there will always be a need for support. May look into this further, as I'm hoping to set up Saas stuff myself, well, getting some overseas guys to write the software while I implement and test it. I was concerned about the earning potential, but it looks as though the support side will be the money earner
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

It took over two years to find my home in Spain, during that time I made many new friends and acquaintances when planning and visiting, only to find now ive settled in ,lots are selling up and going back to blighty.

Which makes me feel sad as they are people I really like and will miss them being around.
They where part of the reason I chose the place.
Even the English supermarket in the village is closing down.
Also the pound shop is running its stock down to an eventual close.
This year the village has been very quiet so far much quieter than previous times, definately not so many tourist around. No funny comments please

Last edited by DENISE WALTERS; Jun 20th 2010 at 11:09 pm. Reason: spelling wrong
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
Off topic I know but lots of people seem to talk about the minimum wage in Spain. Do the majority of expats really earn so little??????
YES
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:23 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
It took over two years to find my home in Spain, during that time I made many new friends and acquaintances when planning and visiting, only to find now ive settled in ,lots are selling up and going back to blighty.

Which makes me feel sad as they are people I really like and will miss them being around.
They where part of the reason I chose the place.
Even the English supermarket in the village is closing down.
Also the pound shop is running its stock down to an eventual close.
This year the village has been very quiet so far much quieter than previous times, definately not so many tourist around. No funny comments please
At least you still have the Spanish shops and your Spanish neighbours.