Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to fix broken pull for window shutters?

How to fix broken pull for window shutters?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:47 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Sarleon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Gava, Barcelona
Posts: 101
Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future
Default How to fix broken pull for window shutters?

We broke one of our window shutters this morning!

To be honest the pull had been fraying for quite some time, but it finally broke and now we are stuck with a closed shutter on one side of our window in our living room...

Does anyone know where we need to go to buy the materials to fix the thing? The shutters are the white plastic type that come down on the outside of the windows, and the pull on the inside is white and about an inch thick, made of cotton I think...
Sarleon is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:53 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,543
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to fix broken pull for window shutters?

Originally Posted by Sarleon View Post
We broke one of our window shutters this morning!

To be honest the pull had been fraying for quite some time, but it finally broke and now we are stuck with a closed shutter on one side of our window in our living room...

Does anyone know where we need to go to buy the materials to fix the thing? The shutters are the white plastic type that come down on the outside of the windows, and the pull on the inside is white and about an inch thick, made of cotton I think...
Every ferretaria sells it and loads of the small shops that sell screws, nails etc do too. The pulls are readily available so you should not have any problem getting it.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:11 pm
  #3  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to fix broken pull for window shutters?

Originally Posted by The Oddities View Post
Every ferretaria sells it and loads of the small shops that sell screws, nails etc do too. The pulls are readily available so you should not have any problem getting it.

Rosemary
How about Leroy Merlin?
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:15 pm
  #4  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,543
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to fix broken pull for window shutters?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
How about Leroy Merlin?
Those are swear words in our house.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:36 pm
  #5  
 
Casa Santo Estevo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Galicia
Posts: 2,981
Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to fix broken pull for window shutters?

Originally Posted by Sarleon View Post
We broke one of our window shutters this morning!

To be honest the pull had been fraying for quite some time, but it finally broke and now we are stuck with a closed shutter on one side of our window in our living room...

Does anyone know where we need to go to buy the materials to fix the thing? The shutters are the white plastic type that come down on the outside of the windows, and the pull on the inside is white and about an inch thick, made of cotton I think...
If you can do DIY they are quite simple to repair.
Here is a website which gives you the names of the components you will want. From your description all you need is the Cinta Ancha. If you do to a good Ferreteria they will cut off the length you need. Obviously you will need to know the height of your window and they should be able to sell you the correct length.
You will have to remove the box containing the roll at the bottom and remove the cover for the blind roll at the top. Some of the later are inside other outside the room.
Make a note of how it is wound round the rolls before dismantling. Normally the top of the cord, roller end is simply pushed through the wheel and tied off. The bottom roll is usually fixed in the same way. However the trick to ease the repair is to wind the new Cinta on the correct way round both wheels. Tools should be just a screw driver or two depending on size and type.
Good luck

http://www.persianas.tk/tk2/index.html

PS Don’t bother with Leroy either they are expensive and the staff are usually not interested in serving you. Local shops are much better for this.
Casa Santo Estevo is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:34 am
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,543
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to fix broken pull for window shutters?

Definitely ignore LeeRoy Merlins.......Mitzy put it on to get me twitchy.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:51 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Sarleon's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Gava, Barcelona
Posts: 101
Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to fix broken pull for window shutters?

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo View Post
If you can do DIY they are quite simple to repair.
Here is a website which gives you the names of the components you will want. From your description all you need is the Cinta Ancha. If you do to a good Ferreteria they will cut off the length you need. Obviously you will need to know the height of your window and they should be able to sell you the correct length.
You will have to remove the box containing the roll at the bottom and remove the cover for the blind roll at the top. Some of the later are inside other outside the room.
Make a note of how it is wound round the rolls before dismantling. Normally the top of the cord, roller end is simply pushed through the wheel and tied off. The bottom roll is usually fixed in the same way. However the trick to ease the repair is to wind the new Cinta on the correct way round both wheels. Tools should be just a screw driver or two depending on size and type.
Good luck

http://www.persianas.tk/tk2/index.html

PS Don’t bother with Leroy either they are expensive and the staff are usually not interested in serving you. Local shops are much better for this.
Thanks to all of you for your advice - but this has to be the best advice on here!
Sarleon is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.