Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How Does Tenerife Compare To Costa Blanca

How Does Tenerife Compare To Costa Blanca

Old Jan 10th 2016, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

seasideman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Does Tenerife Compare To Costa Blanca

We are looking to move to Costa Blanca this year but a lot of people have said we should also consider Tenerife, so I would like some input.

I would like to know how does Tenerife compare to Costa Blanca.

The info I am looking for is as follows

1. How does it compare to costa blanca on crime. The costa blanca have a serious problem with pea men, muggings and prostitution.

2. How does it compare on the cost of living

3. How does it compare on long term rental prices. In costa blanca you can get a 2 bedroom apartment with shared swimming pool for 500 euro

Also, we would be looking to move to an area that is close to the beach, so would like information on the best resorts that fit in with our needs.

Thank you
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:56 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Does Tenerife Compare To Costa Blanca

IMHO "The costa blanca have a serious problem with pea men, muggings and prostitution" you have been misinformed.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seasideman
We are looking to move to Costa Blanca this year but a lot of people have said we should also consider Tenerife, so I would like some input. I would like to know how does Tenerife compare to Costa Blanca. The info I am looking for is as follows 1. How does it compare to costa blanca on crime. The costa blanca have a serious problem with pea men, muggings and prostitution. 2. How does it compare on the cost of living 3. How does it compare on long term rental prices. In costa blanca you can get a 2 bedroom apartment with shared swimming pool for 500 euro Also, we would be looking to move to an area that is close to the beach, so would like information on the best resorts that fit in with our needs. Thank you
It's always personal choice and I'm sure the people who stay in Tenerife love it, just like people love the Costa Blanca and I doubt that your chances of getting mugged are higher. Would you avoid the whole UK, just because you heard that there are more pea men than on the Isle of Man? Like anywhere, there are good areas and bad areas and millions of people live a happy life in mainland Spain. Tenerife also has a huge unemployment problem, so the chances of being robbed on a small island are just as high, especially when people get bored and can't go anywhere. Unless you absolutely fall in love with Tenerife, are an island person and find your dream property, I don't see what Tenerife will offer you that you can't find elsewhere in Spain. Before someone mentions climate, even Tenerife has various climates and not all of Tenerife is sunnier than parts of the Costa Blanca and again it's personal preference. If it had to be an island, I would actually prefer parts of Greece, Sardinia, or even Mallorca depending on budget.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:12 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seasideman
We are looking to move to Costa Blanca this year but a lot of people have said we should also consider Tenerife, so I would like some input.

I would like to know how does Tenerife compare to Costa Blanca.

The info I am looking for is as follows

1. How does it compare to costa blanca on crime. The costa blanca have a serious problem with pea men, muggings and prostitution.

2. How does it compare on the cost of living

3. How does it compare on long term rental prices. In costa blanca you can get a 2 bedroom apartment with shared swimming pool for 500 euro

Also, we would be looking to move to an area that is close to the beach, so would like information on the best resorts that fit in with our needs.

Thank you
1, I never noticed a great deal of difference regarding crime and as Moses said it varies with the type of area where you live with regard to both.

2, Likewise not a great deal of difference overall, though Tenerife has two distinct advantages firstly with its lower rate of IVA/VAT on many items.
Secondly a big saving on heating costs in Tenerife, non needed provided you are close to the coast.
Shorts and T shirt only for almost all the year and year round sunbathing in TF if it's your cup of tea, whereas Costa Blanca is normally too cold for much of the Winter and early Spring.
Tenerife has its own micro climates and I found I could virtually choose the climate I preferred for almost any day of the year.
In addition there is much to see and do in TF away from the tourist areas. I never once got bored in best part of ten years based there.
Another point I always noticed was that TF was always the cheapest of the seven main Canary Islands.

3, Tenerife being popular in the Winter may keep the overall yearly prices slightly higher that Costa Blanca, though there are bargains to be had in the Spanish villages.

Moses mentioned other places in the Med but once again the winter climate is significantly cooler.
I spent a lot of time around the Greek Islands but come the first spell of bad weather in late October the season virtually finished and most of the small businesses on the small islands shut up shop completely, many of the owners actually heading to London, believe it or not, for the Winter.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
1, I never noticed a great deal of difference regarding crime and as Moses said it varies with the type of area where you live with regard to both. 2, Likewise not a great deal of difference overall, though Tenerife has two distinct advantages firstly with its lower rate of IVA/VAT on many items.Secondly a big saving on heating costs in Tenerife, non needed provided you are close to the coast.Shorts and T shirt only for almost all the year and year round sunbathing in TF if it's your cup of tea, whereas Costa Blanca is normally too cold for much of the Winter and early Spring.Tenerife has its own micro climates and I found I could virtually choose the climate I preferred for almost any day of the year.In addition there is much to see and do in TF away from the tourist areas. I never once got bored in best part of ten years based there.Another point I always noticed was that TF was always the cheapest of the seven main Canary Islands. 3, Tenerife being popular in the Winter may keep the overall yearly prices slightly higher that Costa Blanca, though there are bargains to be had in the Spanish villages. Moses mentioned other places in the Med but once again the winter climate is significantly cooler.I spent a lot of time around the Greek Islands but come the first spell of bad weather in late October the season virtually finished and most of the small businesses on the small islands shut up shop completely, many of the owners actually heading to London, believe it or not, for the Winter.
Agree with the weather in other parts of the Med and some of the islands are shut up as you say. It just depends and some people are cold when it goes below 20c and others are out in shorts when it hits 10C.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:40 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

OK if all you want to do is sit by the pool and drink beer, but some of find it uncomfortable over 30 degrees. Horses for courses?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

My place is on the Costa Blanca. I've never seen a pea man. My house in the UK has been broken into 3 times, my house in Spain hasn't. There are prostitutes in Spain but I've never been hassled by one. Like the rest of the world, some Spanish men shag prostitutes, which is why as well as Spain, you'll find such ladies everywhere, including the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by missile
OK if all you want to do is sit by the pool and drink beer, but some of find it uncomfortable over 30 degrees. Horses for courses?
And ironically those people keep jumping into the pool to cool down
Old Jan 11th 2016, 11:57 am
Started off with nothing

In over 10 years I have never seen a Pea Man on CBS.
I am sure they exist, but I would suggest only an idiot would be taken in and bet on such a game - by their own greed?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Horlics
My place is on the Costa Blanca. I've never seen a pea man. My house in the UK has been broken into 3 times, my house in Spain hasn't. There are prostitutes in Spain but I've never been hassled by one. Like the rest of the world, some Spanish men shag prostitutes, which is why as well as Spain, you'll find such ladies everywhere, including the UK.
You're right and I think it's completely normal to see prostitutes in Europe. Smoking kills more people and most non smokers wouldn't be afraid to walk into a supermarket
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
In over 10 years I have never seen a Pea Man on CBS.
I am sure they exist, but I would suggest only an idiot would be taken in and bet on such a game - by their own greed?
By the way, missile. The link in your signature has not worked for a long time.

- Eric S.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 8:33 pm
Started off with nothing

Thx 4 the heads up
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of curiosity, what is a 'pea man' ?
I'd guess that it those hucksters who hide a pea under a cup and ask you to bet on its position - just like the good old chase-the-lady scam.
If that is the case - why are they a problem? Just part of life's rich tapestry!
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

They're not so much a problem in themselves, but their presence usually indicates that the area is downmarket and populated with those who are hard-of-thinking.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 5:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
They're not so much a problem in themselves, but their presence usually indicates that the area is downmarket and populated with those who are hard-of-thinking.

Good point
Amazing they still do business.
You would think everyone would be wise to it by now, but not so.
They mainly latch on to naive tourists who are obviously not very streetwise for whatever reason.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.