Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How do you define fluent?

How do you define fluent?

Old Sep 9th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How do you define fluent?

Originally Posted by JLFS
For me fluency means that you do not have to do mental gymnastics in your mind before you speak.
You dont have to rehearse different ways of saying things, you just get it right the first time, and then you dont sit and think later, that you wish you would have said it better.
I know that I am fluent, because, if I watch a film and someone asks me what language it was in, most times I cant remember, because I am confortable with both languages.
That's a good one.

Also if you have a conversation with someone and you subsequently can't remember what language you held the conversation in, because it is not something that you do consciously......it is your sub-conscious speaking.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:13 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
Well, since it requires an understanding of intonation and the subtley of timing it's delivery - not to say knowiing how words can have different meanings, I'd say the ability to tell jokes (more than just a "knock-knock" style one-liner) is a good indication.
Also the ability to swear, without hesitation, repitition or deviation for an extended period might impress some people
oh well, I'm not fluent in english then

I can't tell jokes & neither do I swear - in english or spanish!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

jdr
If you have to ask or even wonder if you are fluent, then like me, you are not. lol

I know I'm not fluent, but I was intrigued not only because I had a feeling there'd be some very interesting/thought provoking answers - which there have been - but also because of what I said about feeling stupid in Spanish. I frequently feel unable to demonstrate there is a brain in there somewhere. I definitely have the mental gymnastics preparing what I want to say, and the constant knowledge that not only could I have said things better but more often than not should have - hence saying 'some' people would consider I spoke reasonable Spanish. Most Spaniards I know are politely complimentary but that's all I think it is, polite rather than accurate!
I find some of the definitions fascinating, because for example I'd recognised some common swear words & be able to say them should I choose (which I don't) and am able to argue/defend myself in a 'safe' setting (challenging a foreman's assertions in a garage) though I definitely wouldn't claim the words coming out of my mouth were in the correct tense
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:28 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I think that total fluency is only achieved if you think in the language.
I think in Spanish (or don't think) when I'm speaking spanish & I yell at the tele in spanish if I'm in a spanish dominated situation

vice versa in an english dominated situation

I sometimes dream in spanish

I do find more & more though that I often (to my embarrassment) can't think of the english word for something that I habitually use the spanish word for

am I fluent?

I don't think so - I know I sometimes make mistakes - but at least I'm aware of them!

I'm sure if I lived in a more 'spanish' area' that I would be though

I know an english woman - she has lived here more than 20 years - was married to a spanish guy & they only ever spoke spanish (or valenciano) - they have an adult daughter

she had all but forgotten how to speak english - but she wouldn't consider herself fluent in spanish

they split up & she's now with an english guy - & is almost re-learning english - to the point that she speaks english with his accent!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:16 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by fionamw
This was prompted by an M&S recruitment ad - could I honestly (in my terms) say I'm fluent - no. Would some other people say I speak fair Spanish? Yes. On top of that I find that despite the odd very good conversation I'm mostly frustrated that my Spanish won't keep up with the speed of my English brain..... For me, I think there's more to it than just being able to chit chat in the supermarket or chiringuito, I reckon being able to demonstrate the existence of the bit between the ears would help, & without that I certainly couldn't say I'm fluent.
How do you define fluency?
I just looked at the recruitment site - if you go through the english links it asks if you are fluent in spanish, but if you follow the spanish links it doesn't ask about either language

so different to Iceland/Overseas foods here - hardly any of the staff speak any spanish at all!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:39 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
so different to Iceland/Overseas foods here - hardly any of the staff speak any spanish at all!
I know two working there (CDS) and both have spanish Fathers.

Being fluent is when there is no need to translate what is said.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I just looked at the recruitment site - if you go through the english links it asks if you are fluent in spanish, but if you follow the spanish links it doesn't ask about either language

hmm interesting!

That's a whole other thread...makes me seeth that at the Mijas/Fuengirola branch the cashiers only speak to customers in English, I've never heard Spanish spoken... ok it's a British outfit etc but they're in Spain FGS.....

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Not sure about this; I don't think I always translate everything back to English in my head when someone's speaking to me. Sometimes, yes, but not always. And using Spanish words which come out automatically without any thought, to DD whose understanding of Spanish is negligible is quite hilarious!
Still wouldn't in several million light years describe myself as fluent
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I don't know, I can remember not needing to translate long before I would consider myself fluent. Comprehension of what is being said comes long before spoken fluency.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 8:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

not our Iceland - I know a few working there - I'm told that the only one who worked there who was fluent didn't get a contract after the 3 month trial was up
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Fluent = Being able to speak a foriegn language at the same level as your native one ,hence very few really are , I only know one foriegneer who is truly fluet in Spanish and they work for the courts as an authorised translator which should be proof enough for anyone.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:35 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Fluent = Being able to speak a foriegn language at the same level as your native one ,hence very few really are , I only know one foriegneer who is truly fluet in Spanish and they work for the courts as an authorised translator which should be proof enough for anyone.
Being fluent is not having to think at all, (I hope you all can understand what I mean)

It is like driving a car, at first you have to think about everything, not lifting the clutch too much, not knowing when to change gear.

I used to dread a hill start, which you could equate to speaking the "foreign" language. You had to mentaly prepare not to roll back or stall.
Sometimes it was very hit and miss.

Then on day you are driving along and wonder how you got to 4th gear, you did it all without thinking. Thad for me is fluency.

You dont think at all, because you dont need to.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 2:33 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

It could be argued that true fluency is, like Zeno's tortoise perpetually just out of reach.

However, in a more everyday environment to me the best definition is that you can understand without thinking, all that is said to you.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Fluent = Being able to speak a foriegn language at the same level as your native one
So what's the difference between fluent and bilingual then? Or isn't there one?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:42 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

My friends daughter is totally bilingual/fluent (has been in Spanish school since she was 5 and is now 15) and her definition is that being fluent means you can say what you want without translating it from english to spanish in your head first??????

Jo xxx
Old Sep 10th 2009, 4:24 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.