Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How do the Portuguese differ from the Spanish?

How do the Portuguese differ from the Spanish?

Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do the Portuguese differ from the Spanish?

Originally Posted by lunacrout
I know that I'm showing my ignorance here and also being too lazy to find out for myself but would someone be kind and explain the history of how Spain and Portugal came to speak different languages and why Portugal appeared to end up being less well off when they were both once great colonising nations?

Do the people who live on either side of the border get on generally - do they intermarry etc?
I'm no expert on history,but I believe both Portugal and Catalonia fought against Spain/Castilla for independance around about the same time.
Portugal won and so gained full independance.
Catalonia lost,otherwise they'd likely now be a completely seperate fully independant country.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:30 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I'm no expert on history,but I believe both Portugal and Catalonia fought against Spain/Castilla for independance around about the same time.
Portugal won and so gained full independance.
Catalonia lost,otherwise they'd likely now be a completely seperate fully independant country.
Are you completely sure about that? My understanding is that Catalunya was part of the Kingdom of Aragon, and became part of Spain when Ferdinand married Isabel (the Catholic Monarchs). There may have been a rebellion in the war of the Spanish Succession, but they were fighting for an alternative guy to become Habsburg leader ie not independence. Strange that such a powerful and independently minded region never really governed itself.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:57 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Catalonia

Take your point,I was simply meaning independant or free of Spanish rule.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Sep 20th 2010 at 3:12 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:00 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Well exactly my point. The text from Wikipedia on Catalonia includes:

For an extended period, Catalonia, as part of the former Kingdom of Aragon, continued to retain its own usages and laws, but these gradually eroded in the course of the transition from feudalism to a modern state, fueled by the kings' struggle to have more centralized territories. Over the next few centuries, Catalonia was generally on the losing side of a series of local conflicts that led steadily to more centralization of power in Spain, like the Reapers' War (1640–1652). In 1652 the Spanish Crown offered the Roussillon territory to the Kingdom of France. Now this territory is the Department of Pyrénées-Orientales, and also is named Northern Catalonia (Catalunya Nord).

The most significant conflict was the War of the Spanish Succession, which began when Charles II of Spain (the last Spanish Habsburg) died without a direct heir in 1700. Catalonia, like the other territories that had formed the Crown of Aragon in the Middle Ages, mostly rose up in support of the Habsburg pretender Charles VI of Valencia Holy Roman Emperor, while the rest of Spain mostly adhered to the French Bourbon claimant, Philip V. Following the fall of Barcelona on 11 September 1714, the "special status" of the territories belonging to the former Crown of Aragon and its institutions was abolished by the Nueva Planta decrees, under which all its lands were incorporated to the Crown of Castile as provinces, within a united Spanish administration, as Spain moved towards a centralised government under the new Bourbon dynasty.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 2:41 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

The Portuguese DO NOT like the Spanish.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:12 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cleri
The Portuguese DO NOT like the Spanish.
Then why do so many come over to have a holiday in Isla Canela, Ayamonte, Islantilla ? We´re getting lots of well educated residents from Lisbon, Porto, etc. There must be something good in Spain´s Costa de la Luz or are you talking about football?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Then why do so many come over to have a holiday in Isla Canela, Ayamonte, Islantilla ? We´re getting lots of well educated residents from Lisbon, Porto, etc. There must be something good in Spain´s Costa de la Luz or are you talking about football?
And tourists go the other way too. We went to Lisbon last year and it seemed all the tourists were Spanish.

The Portuguese have a bit of an inferiority complex because Spain looks down on them a bit, they have always been poorer, were a dictatorship for longer etc.

And they didnt appreciate speaking Spanish to them at all. They always replied in English
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jur
I have no idea...just telling it like it is.No not football...and no I don't live in the Algarve....I live near Lisbon.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman
And tourists go the other way too. We went to Lisbon last year and it seemed all the tourists were Spanish.

The Portuguese have a bit of an inferiority complex because Spain looks down on them a bit, they have always been poorer, were a dictatorship for longer etc.

And they didnt appreciate speaking Spanish to them at all. They always replied in English
A huge amount of Spanish come here for holidays...but lots of Brits go to France,and we all know how the French think of the British.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like the Scottish... does that count?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:48 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I thought they had lairds in Scotland instead of counts?
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I thought they had lairds in Scotland instead of counts?
Lots of counts in Scotland.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:01 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Judging by many postings on various forums, it might appear that the populations of all four UK home countries hate each others guts.
Yet with a few exceptions,(as above, lol), they tend to get on surprisingly well together when needs be, and most of the grudges and differences of opinion are mainly dealt with in a light hearted jovial manner.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:05 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of counts in Scotland.
*nods head*
Old Sep 21st 2010, 8:13 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman

It does have to do with the smaller country looking up to their big neighbour I guess, Same thing between The Netherlands & Germany. And please don´t say Danke Schön to a Dutch guy. I hate that!

I have no idea...just telling it like it is.No not football...and no I don't live in the Algarve....I live near Lisbon.
Odd then, We´re not getting Algarvians over for holidays but they do come for cheap fuel and shampoo. And speak Portuguese to us.

Doesn´t matter, it´s a silly thread any way. Next thread: "How do New Zeelanders differ from the Australians?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.