Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to dance in the rain

How to dance in the rain

Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:34 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to dance in the rain

Just wanted to say a quick hello from the beautiful Peak District and share this email I got this morning with all of you

It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry, as he had an appointment at 9:00 am. I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him.

I saw him looking at his watch, and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound.
On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife.

I inquired as to her health; he told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease. As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late.

He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.
I was surprised, and asked him, 'And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are'?
He smiled as he patted my hand and said, '"She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is."

I had to hold back tears as he left. I had goose bumps on my arms and thought, 'That is the kind of love I want in my life'. True love is neither physical nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.

With all the jokes and fun that are in e-mails, sometimes there is one that comes along that has an important message. This one I thought I could share with you.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

Martha
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to dance in the rain

Nice to hear from you, and a nice message ....
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:25 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely to hear from you, love your pearls of wisdom, really miss your input on BE. Hope you have not suffered to greatly in the stormy, windy weather and that all is working out how you expected since your re-location.

Rosemary
Old Mar 16th 2008, 3:52 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Just wanted to say a quick hello from the beautiful Peak District and share this email I got this morning with all of you

It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry, as he had an appointment at 9:00 am. I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him.

I saw him looking at his watch, and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound.
On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife.

I inquired as to her health; he told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease. As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late.

He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.
I was surprised, and asked him, 'And you still go every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are'?
He smiled as he patted my hand and said, '"She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is."

I had to hold back tears as he left. I had goose bumps on my arms and thought, 'That is the kind of love I want in my life'. True love is neither physical nor romantic. True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.

With all the jokes and fun that are in e-mails, sometimes there is one that comes along that has an important message. This one I thought I could share with you.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."
Martha

Hi Martha
Ive never heard that saying before but i think it is so apt of life.

My uncle had a massive stroke about 10 years ago and my Aunty Joan nursed him through until he could walk-ish and communicate-ish again (which was only about 4 years ago) on Mothers Day we got the dreaded phone call to go and see him he'd another massive stoke - we lost him the day after - it was his funeral last Monday.
I think in a couple of weeks i might show her this coz if it would mean anything to anyone it would be my Aunt - she did so much over such a long time and it has taken its toll but she wouldnt have had it anyother way.
Take care all
Love Sam xxx
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:12 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Mitzy and thanks *sending some cyber hugz to you and your lovely missus*

Hiya Rosemary! Thankfully we weren't affected too much by the storms and things here are wonderful at the moment, but ask me again in about a years time Work is plentiful, the cottage is gorgeous and the views outside our doorstep are breathtaking. I think we definitely made the right move for us. AND in a bit over 2 months time we will be having our very long overdue holiday in Greece..... can things get ANY better? Well, possibly if we won the lottery

I hope that you and Graham are keeping well

Hi Sam, I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. Please accept my sincerest condolences. I do hope it will give your aunt some kind of comfort reading it. Sending some extra special hugs your way.

Martha

P.S. I just wanted to mention that this is the first time in 4 years that I have been lovely and warm indoors!!

Last edited by MnM; Mar 16th 2008 at 4:17 pm. Reason: Added PS
Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:44 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi there Mitzy and thanks *sending some cyber hugz to you and your lovely missus*

Hiya Rosemary! Thankfully we weren't affected too much by the storms and things here are wonderful at the moment, but ask me again in about a years time Work is plentiful, the cottage is gorgeous and the views outside our doorstep are breathtaking. I think we definitely made the right move for us. AND in a bit over 2 months time we will be having our very long overdue holiday in Greece..... can things get ANY better? Well, possibly if we won the lottery

I hope that you and Graham are keeping well

Hi Sam, I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. Please accept my sincerest condolences. I do hope it will give your aunt some kind of comfort reading it. Sending some extra special hugs your way.

Martha

P.S. I just wanted to mention that this is the first time in 4 years that I have been lovely and warm indoors!!

Hi Martha
Im sure it will and thanks for posting it.
Glad to hear youve settled back in well - lovely part of the country your in
Take care
Love Sam