She is self sufficient
100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

How can mum join me

Old May 22nd 2022, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Mymum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can mum join me

I am a resident of Spain, my mum 86 years old wants to come and live with me, I own a house and she or I are not dependent on each other at the moment
what do I do

Last edited by Rosemary; May 22nd 2022 at 6:42 am.
Old May 22nd 2022, 6:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can mum join me

Originally Posted by Mymum
I am a resident of Spain, my mum 86 years old wants to come and live with me, I own a house and she or I are not dependent on each other at the moment
what do I do
I have changed the title of your thread in order to gain attention. Using a name is not suitable or advisable.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2022, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know, she will have to apply for a Non Lucrative visa - assuming she has no rights/access to an EU passport (ie Irish)

Suggest you research here and start the process.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain
Old May 22nd 2022, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

what do I do
As a UK passport holder your mum will need to apply for a non lucrative visa. She will need to meet the income and healthcare requirements. The income requirements are to have an income of around €28,000 per annum. She will also need full private healthcare for the first year then go onto the S1 healthcare scheme.

Steve
Old May 22nd 2022, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you were to become a Spanish citizen your mum if uk national will, as stated above need a NLV. This is possible but would require your mother to either prove she has available funds in Spain which I think is around 30,000 euros of a monthly income ( pension) of around 2,500 euros. She would need private medical insurance to obtain said visa which at 80 plus would be quite high. TBH I really don't think that moving to Spain at that age where health will be a primary concern is a good idea unless you can afford to pay for good private healthcare which will be delivered in English.
Old May 22nd 2022, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

what do I do

According to this.

https://balcellsgroup.com/residence-...tion-in-spain/

There is a family reunification visa you could apply for.

From scanning the text, you would need to be a permanent resident (i.e. over 5 years), your mother must be financially dependant on you (i.e. you transfer money regularly to her and can prove this).

But it would need looking into as there are quite a few hoops and if you are not working your mother will still need full private healthcare, which may be expensive (or not doable if she has medical issues).

Hopefully you can sort this one way or another.

Old May 22nd 2022, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Just let her come out for 90 days at a time. More than enough time. Not a chance would i spend 30+ k on a NLV to live in Spain.
Old May 22nd 2022, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Just let her come out for 90 days at a time. More than enough time. Not a chance would i spend 30+ k on a NLV to live in Spain.
I think you are perhaps being a bit misleading. You make it sound like it costs 30k to get a visa. The 30k is the money you are expected to live off while in Spain. I imagine the OP mum at 86 living with her daughter would probably be able to live off her UK pension in such a situation meaning the 30,000 probably wouldn't need to be touched
Old May 22nd 2022, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
I think you are perhaps being a bit misleading. You make it sound like it costs 30k to get a visa. The 30k is the money you are expected to live off while in Spain. I imagine the OP mum at 86 living with her daughter would probably be able to live off her UK pension in such a situation meaning the 30,000 probably wouldn't need to be touched
But would her UK government pension amount to requirement level?

Steve
Old May 22nd 2022, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tebo53
But would her UK government pension amount to requirement level?

Steve
No what I mean is that maybe she could deposit the 30k in an account but not actually need to use it but live off the uk pension.
Old May 22nd 2022, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
No what I mean is that maybe she could deposit the 30k in an account but not actually need to use it but live off the uk pension.
Sounds like far to much messing about. As long as flights are cheap I think it would be better and easier to fly in and out Willy Nilly and keep things simple. Don’t the Spainish want to tax you on that amount of money?. Things are not what they were in Spain anymore everything is a headache. It’s lost that relaxed and care free vibe that it used to have pre brexit / covid. There are other easier and cheaper countries for this British expats/immigrants to move to in this day and age.
Old May 22nd 2022, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like far to much messing about. As long as flights are cheap I think it would be better and easier to fly in and out Willy Nilly and keep things simple. Don’t the Spainish want to tax you on that amount of money?. Things are not what they were in Spain anymore everything is a headache. It’s lost that relaxed and care free vibe that it used to have pre brexit / covid. There are other easier and cheaper countries for this British expats/immigrants to move to in this day and age.
Spain does not tax you on money held in the bank (unless you are over the wealth tax threshold) - only on income derived from it. We lived on our savings for the first eight years in Spain and paid no tax at all - I had an appointment with Hacienda the year after we became tax resident so that I could make a zero tax return and they told me not to bother and just to come back once we had started to receive our pensions.
Old May 22nd 2022, 11:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

An 86 year old is hardly likely to wish to be flying to and fro willy nilly.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2022, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Probably best that anyone who thinks it's a headache here goes to one of the other easier and cheaper countries then.
Old May 22nd 2022, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Spain does not tax you on money held in the bank (unless you are over the wealth tax threshold) - only on income derived from it. We lived on our savings for the first eight years in Spain and paid no tax at all - I had an appointment with Hacienda the year after we became tax resident so that I could make a zero tax return and they told me not to bother and just to come back once we had started to receive our pensions.
so do you not get taxed on money that’s needed for your NLV? Also see a lot of people on Other social media platforms that had their NLV rejected.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.