Reload this Page >

Housing Prices in Free Fall

Housing Prices in Free Fall

Old May 20th 2008, 9:17 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Housing Prices in Free Fall

Originally Posted by zel
For the simple fact if you taxed people who had more than one or two 'investment' property, then there wouldn't be such a lack of property in the UK for first time buyers, then people such as your daughter for example could afford to actually buy something without the need of parental help. Remember there are people who own litterly hundreds of investment buy to let property in the UK who couldn't give a rats backside that they're ruining other peoples chances of owning a property or going up the ladder.

If a country like the UK can not provide a fundamental thing like affordable housing then they need to invest in social housing, which they have not. So taxing the 'rich' ie people who own several investment properties to help the poor i.e the people who just want a roof over their head, somewhere that they can call home without worrying about putting up a picture frame, or if the landlord isn't going to sell up at the end of the lease so can't settle in properly seems quite fair to me.
Whilst I basically agree with you Zel, to implement your plan requires to differentiate between genuine housing associations and the "get rich quick at someone elses expense" merchants. Back in 1989 just before the last price fall, I had to move in the UK and found somewhere to rent at 1000 a month, 4 bed double garage etc and then found that the landlord had purchased a million quids worth of these houses just 2 years before, had never let many of them out at all and had never even fixed the initial build problems as he was less interested in rental income and more interested in the potential for a hike in capital. He wouldnt sell to me at a reasonable price after the fall of 1990 so I bought off a builder just around the corner at 35% less than they had been a year before. It took 8 years for those properties to get back to their 1988 market price. No wonder the estate got the nickname of "sadly broke" and I have no sympathy for those who saw their investments go down as they were trying to get owt for nowt.
Old May 20th 2008, 11:55 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Whilst I basically agree with you Zel, to implement your plan requires to differentiate between genuine housing associations and the "get rich quick at someone elses expense" merchants. Back in 1989 just before the last price fall, I had to move in the UK and found somewhere to rent at 1000 a month, 4 bed double garage etc and then found that the landlord had purchased a million quids worth of these houses just 2 years before, had never let many of them out at all and had never even fixed the initial build problems as he was less interested in rental income and more interested in the potential for a hike in capital. He wouldnt sell to me at a reasonable price after the fall of 1990 so I bought off a builder just around the corner at 35% less than they had been a year before. It took 8 years for those properties to get back to their 1988 market price. No wonder the estate got the nickname of "sadly broke" and I have no sympathy for those who saw their investments go down as they were trying to get owt for nowt.
Yes, and if he still has those houses now, or kept them for a number of years afterwards, compared to the 1988 market price, it will no doubt be allowing him to have a tremendous retirement somewhere hot. Good luck to him! Its not a get rich quick scheme, its an investment that pays divdends over a period of time. And I'm sorry, I see no reason whatsoever why people should not be allowed to do it and should be made to bear extra taxes just for planning for their future!!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

gravitatingsouth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Housing Prices in Free Fall - aguilas

willprices also fall regarding apartments like on the Dunas de cope complex in Aguilas ?

Am thinking of buying there but not sure whether to seek out resales v new but like anyone- seek a valued bargain - eg right property, not bothered about a marketing brochure, more the right place etc, and in this clime may even be a blessing for someone desperate to sell etc.

I digress - you all seem to know your stuff (or have contact with the otherside - premonitions) and if you're right the bubble will burst, will the drop also effect aprt or only villas?

Re :Based on a 2006 new price, how much would the 2008/2009 price be eg what % would the 2006 price drop by?
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing Prices in Free Fall - aguilas

Originally Posted by gravitatingsouth
willprices also fall regarding apartments like on the Dunas de cope complex in Aguilas ?

Am thinking of buying there but not sure whether to seek out resales v new but like anyone- seek a valued bargain - eg right property, not bothered about a marketing brochure, more the right place etc, and in this clime may even be a blessing for someone desperate to sell etc.

I digress - you all seem to know your stuff (or have contact with the otherside - premonitions) and if you're right the bubble will burst, will the drop also effect aprt or only villas?

Re :Based on a 2006 new price, how much would the 2008/2009 price be eg what % would the 2006 price drop by?
I would think it will be accross the board. They've stopped building several apartment blocks around here as theres no one to buy them at the moment
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:50 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
What about all the other nationalities: the germans and other northern euriopeans. Are they buying, or sitting tight? Since they're in the euro-zone they don't have exchange rate worries and their economies are not suffering as much from the american sub-prime problems.

All this goes to show is the folly of thinking that other countries' housing markets are built on the same principles as the UK markets.
Swedes, Norweigans etc are still buying in Spain only problem though, is that given that their populations are very small the % that actually come to buy is too small to actually boost the housing market here. Its not comparable to the droves of people that could potentially come from the UK or Germany.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:16 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Jeez!!!

How many property slumps have we been through in the UK only to see property prices rise again.

This isn't a first off occurrance in Spain iirc. I remember reading about one of the Great Train robbers that invested heavily in property in the sixties and was screwed by a property slump / overstretching himself.

A house can be a home or an investment, or it can be both. I dont see people in the UK as being particularly greedy in the buy to let market. Its just another way of securing a pension as an alternative to the stock market. A stock market that can be far more volatile based on things that happen thousands of miles away from where the investment took place!

A good quality product will always sell at the right price. I feel the multi box urbs are going to be the worst hit, but from my point of view I really am not worried as I'm in it for the long term.
Good post and the Spanish housing market has always been up-down historically especially on the Costas where housing fortunes are largely linked with foreigners buying. Spaniards will always buy holiday homes on the Costas but these are usually in towns etc and not on expat dominated urbanizations, so the problems occur when foreign buyers stop buying here and that is when a slump occurs and nobody can sell their properties.

Also agree with the fact that if your property is well priced and well presented it will normally sell regardless of the economic climate as there are always buyers. Only issue today though, is that if these buyers are UK based they are gonna grumble about the exchange rate. But I think though this theory certainly holds true if all things were even.

You mentioned the midlands and I have also noticed how attractive property prices are in the Midlands in general and a large 3 bed semi with garage in a decent area listed around 280.000 euros!!! and this is before you even make that 10-20% offer and with prices still all set to fall there.......... So all this actually makes the UK an attractive proposition especially if you are changing your funds from euros to sterling.

Somebody mentioned well its the midlands! Well remember you are buying near the UK`s second city so all the amenities one would want are there as well as are work opps especially when the economy picks up again. Try buying near Spain`s second city Barcelona!!! Prices for example in Girona are shocking By the way I am not trying to comapre Birmingham to the charms of Barcelona but I am sure you get the idea.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
says the man from Gloucestershire!
Generalisation or what?
Sorry to be picky, but on such a hot thread you should all tighten up where you're talking about. Coleford is not Tetbury. Bromley is not Tenterden. Midlands=Birmingham? Leicestershire? East Anglia=Norfolk & Suffolk? plus Cambs? Plus Essex? Prices are very specifically different in each region & sub-region, whether UK or Spain. They often move up & down for specific reasons - good SATS/exam results in a school, for example, or redundancies in an industrial zone. I think I'm right in saying that there are still a handful of boroughs of London where prices are rising against trend.......
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:40 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by fionamw
Generalisation or what?
Sorry to be picky, but on such a hot thread you should all tighten up where you're talking about. Coleford is not Tetbury. Bromley is not Tenterden. Midlands=Birmingham? Leicestershire? East Anglia=Norfolk & Suffolk? plus Cambs? Plus Essex? Prices are very specifically different in each region & sub-region, whether UK or Spain. They often move up & down for specific reasons - good SATS/exam results in a school, for example, or redundancies in an industrial zone. I think I'm right in saying that there are still a handful of boroughs of London where prices are rising against trend.......
And isn`t Bromley in greater London?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
And isn`t Bromley in greater London?
Well actually it depends where you look. Google it & you get both - Kent when I was born there, but given that was several centuries ago I guess I'll accept it could have changed with the Local Government Act 1972... ok ok it's now also the London Borough of Bromley, but you've deflated my point, which was that even within the same county, never mind region, prices can be poles apart. Coleford in Gloucestershire is a small backswood Forest of Dean outpost (sweet, I hasten to add - used to be my nearest town before moving to Spain & its only real downside is putting up Xmas lights earlier than anywhere else in the UK) but prices the other end of the same county, in Tetbury, or Down Ampney, or thereabouts, could easily be more than 150 or 200% those of Coleford. So just be more specific, folks!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Resovoir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I am new to the this site , so hello. Currently looking to buy in La Drova but prices still seem high. What is a typical difference between an asking price and the actual buying price what sort of reduction is fair. All help would be gratefully received.
Resovoir
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

My only prediction is that by the end of the recession there will be a lot less people talking about owning property
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Resovoir
Hi
I am new to the this site , so hello. Currently looking to buy in La Drova but prices still seem high. What is a typical difference between an asking price and the actual buying price what sort of reduction is fair. All help would be gratefully received.
Resovoir
Can't help but hello & welcome - sorry but without either A-Z or specs, don't even know where La Drova is ........ try using the site search facility to see if your query's been covered before, I've found I should have done that first!!!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:40 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Resovoir
Hi
Resovoir

Ahh, La Drova, not far from me
No one is going to be able to answer that question accurately. It would be the same as asking the difference in the UK, and of course thats impossible.

All you can do is find something you like and make an offer. Property prices around here are fairly competitive with the rest of the Costas anyway, and there is a backlog of sales.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
Germans all sold up because of their new tax laws.
Taxes....ah. Yes. How many people with property in Spain - and I mean Spaniards and estranjeros alike - actually fulfil their obligations re. wealth tax? I know a large amount of properties will be under the threshhold, but many - and many of those will be owned by us incomers, particularly in the wealthier coastal zones - should be paying patrimonio. So why do so many people look at me 'gone out' when we discuss it? Tax avoidance? Shirley Knot!
(Oh, and this is relevant to property, because we'd probably sell both in UK & Spain & put the funds to a different Spanish base, hence benefiting the tax coffers here.)
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:02 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by fionamw
Taxes....ah. Yes. How many people with property in Spain - and I mean Spaniards and estranjeros alike - actually fulfil their obligations re. wealth tax? I know a large amount of properties will be under the threshhold, but many - and many of those will be owned by us incomers, particularly in the wealthier coastal zones - should be paying patrimonio. So why do so many people look at me 'gone out' when we discuss it? Tax avoidance? Shirley Knot!
(Oh, and this is relevant to property, because we'd probably sell both in UK & Spain & put the funds to a different Spanish base, hence benefiting the tax coffers here.)
I think every one on here is aware of wealth tax, God knows I've mentioned it enough times. But afaik, that tax is about to be abolished, and my gestoria tells me it won't be necessary to declare next year. It is still waiting approval at Govt level however

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.