Reload this Page >

House insurance

House insurance

Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:11 am
Small member

Location: Born in Barnsley, now in Stoke, heading to Cavafria
evilroyslade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House insurance

Can anyone save me loadsa time and point me in the best direction to go to get some basic house and contents insurance for our house in Spain? It will only be occupied by us for holidays for at least the next 8 years and I know UK insurance companies get funny if a property is vacant for more than 30 days at a time.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:06 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House insurance

Originally Posted by evilroyslade
e next 8 years and I know UK insurance companies get funny if a property is vacant for more than 30 days at a time.
So do some Spanish Insurance companies. You probably will need a keyholder who "visits" every so often.

If you have a Spanish bank account, to make things easier suggest you make them your first stop

Otherwise you have English speaking companies like Knights Insurance over here (google it)
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Not living in Spain I have no idea, however in another forum, this appeared recently, might help.
http://www.andalucia.com/forums/view...hp?f=1&t=22341
Old Jan 6th 2010, 1:14 pm
Small member

Thanks - I'll give Intasure a go
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

bonbon has a spectacular aura aboutbonbon has a spectacular aura aboutbonbon has a spectacular aura about

Direct line are good..
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:44 am
Small member

Originally Posted by bonbon
Direct line are good..
They don't do houses in Spain
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do-linea directa.

Our home insurance is with them.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:10 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do. I am insured with them for house and car https://www.lineadirecta.com/LDAWeb/home/Home.faces
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:13 am
Small member

Originally Posted by missile
Yes they do. I am insured with them for house and car https://www.lineadirecta.com/LDAWeb/home/Home.faces
Aha! Linea Directa not Direct Line! That would explain why I had no joy on the Direct Line website or telephone! Thanks - I'll give them a whirl. So far the best has been Knights.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

So far the best has been Knights.
What's the best? Cheapest or based on previous claims? The only reason I gave the link I did was because they are real people,with real claims, and they all seemed very pleased with the way their claims were handled.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:57 am
Small member

Originally Posted by agoreira
What's the best? Cheapest or based on previous claims? The only reason I gave the link I did was because they are real people,with real claims, and they all seemed very pleased with the way their claims were handled.
Ah, yes - point taken. I am very cynical when it comes to insurance and always go for the cheapest quote, be it house or motor for the same reason that I always fly with Ryanair. I feel that so long as I am covered for my main risks and there are no "get out" clauses, I will suffer some bad service - particularly as the chance of me claiming is low.
Intasure were coming in at £300 and Knights were £140.

Now, new strand to this thread - what should I put for rebuilding costs? I have an old, stone farm type house with a pool so I guess that is going to be more expensive than a new build. I don't want to under insure. I don't suppose it is as simple as putting down the purchase price. But are there any general, per metre perhaps, rough guides?
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:58 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Knights are very helpful, they are a broker. Obvoiusly the "quality" of the cover will depend on which insurer you choose.

I have found linea directa to be very good when you need to make a claim.

Just like in UK, you need to look out for the small print. My previous insurers did not cover me when a builder who was carrying out work @ the property stole tools from my garage. One of their exclusions = covered theft only where force had been used to break in.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:00 pm
Started off with nothing

always go for the cheapest quote, be it house or motor for the same reason that I always fly with Ryanair. ?
You get what you pay for .......
Old Jan 7th 2010, 12:09 pm
Small member

Yes, that's my point - they all have these little clauses lurking in there, no matter if you pay a large or small premium. It's the same with any insurance eg the definition of "modified" for a car or motorcycle - you might think that means something major but I know people who have had claims declined for just putting a different seat on etc. And for travel insurance - the intricate requirements and tight timescales for claims procedures. I am quite happy to bear my own, minor and accidental losses and just want cover if there is eg a fire with house insurance or a major illness for travel insurance etc.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:55 pm
Started off with nothing

Each to their own, freedom of choice. I have learned from (my) experience and would rather pay a little bit more for better cover from a company which does not make one jump through hoops if and when you make a claim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.