Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

House in Gandia or Oliva?? town

House in Gandia or Oliva?? town

Old May 20th 2017, 11:49 am
Just Joined

mckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant future
Default House in Gandia or Oliva?? town

HIya
Well as we decide to get ourselves over we have decided to not have a mortgage and just buy cash so it will be a low, starter home thingy. Now we have seen 2 houses in Gandia and one in oliva. as we will onkly have a max of 50k . Its a start i guess but we are outpriced with regard to houses with gardens or land at that money. Ok so the two houses are quite roomy 4 beds, and small courtyard. There isme, wife, 4 yearold and 2 dogs. I work from home so internet needed. Both need a bit of work inside but are structually sound and livable. modernising needed. As a family that want to do things together, nip out for tea and lunch, school for bambino and even at some point of the wife gets bored, a part time job for her. I believe there may be more ex pats in Oliva than gandia towns, and so i was wondering what your thoughts were on this.>?
As we ideally want to walk to eat, drinks, entertainment etc as we do love live music etc. I would welcome any thoughts on this as ill be over next week to wander round. many thanks Craig
Old May 20th 2017, 11:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House in Gandia or Oliva?? town

All depends where in Oliva - there are some areas where you wouldn't want to buy no matter what the price.
Old May 20th 2017, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
All depends where in Oliva - there are some areas where you wouldn't want to buy no matter what the price.
I think that applies to both towns. I would say that price and location usually follow each another.

When in Oliva the OP should pop in to Molino's or Cafe Ole and speak to some Ex-pats.

We have a house low down (between Placa Alonso and Sta. Maria church) and chose that area after discounting the higher areas due to accessibility (steepness), parking problems and possibility of bad neighbours.
We also have an apartment at the beach so we are obviously biased but for us Oliva suits all our needs.

I do like popping into Gandia occasionally as it has reasonably good shopping and the town has a nice feel, however being a largish town I never feel any sense of community when there.

Given the chance again I would make the same choices as to location but as Snikpoh has stated there are areas to avoid. Research/choose your location with care. Getting that wrong can be an expensive mistake with buying costs at around 13% and selling around 6%.
Old May 20th 2017, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

mckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant futuremckenzie1970 has a brilliant future

HI Guys, I did hear that some areas are a bit dodgy but i wanted to see what you guys thought. I appreciate the replies, ill also seek out molinos or cafe ole cheers
Old Jul 9th 2017, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

May be an option to rent in the area first, so you can properly check out all towns/villages. There are some nice places between Oliva and Gandia that may be suitable too.

Originally Posted by mckenzie1970
HIya
Well as we decide to get ourselves over we have decided to not have a mortgage and just buy cash so it will be a low, starter home thingy. Now we have seen 2 houses in Gandia and one in oliva. as we will onkly have a max of 50k . Its a start i guess but we are outpriced with regard to houses with gardens or land at that money. Ok so the two houses are quite roomy 4 beds, and small courtyard. There isme, wife, 4 yearold and 2 dogs. I work from home so internet needed. Both need a bit of work inside but are structually sound and livable. modernising needed. As a family that want to do things together, nip out for tea and lunch, school for bambino and even at some point of the wife gets bored, a part time job for her. I believe there may be more ex pats in Oliva than gandia towns, and so i was wondering what your thoughts were on this.>?
As we ideally want to walk to eat, drinks, entertainment etc as we do love live music etc. I would welcome any thoughts on this as ill be over next week to wander round. many thanks Craig