Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

House exchange ??

House exchange ??

Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Deb16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House exchange ??

Has anyone looked into exchanging their homes from Spain to the UK? I’m just looking in to whether it could be an option, what are your thoughts please
I am in the UK and once life gets back to normal, I’d like to relocate to Spain. I’m open to most areas, and would like a minimum of 3 bedroom, detached house, must have a private pool and up to 30 mins from the coast.
I will look in to selling my property but just wondered if anyone has looked in to an exchange.
thank you for reading this.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House exchange ??

Originally Posted by Deb16
Has anyone looked into exchanging their homes from Spain to the UK? I’m just looking in to whether it could be an option, what are your thoughts please
I am in the UK and once life gets back to normal, I’d like to relocate to Spain. I’m open to most areas, and would like a minimum of 3 bedroom, detached house, must have a private pool and up to 30 mins from the coast.
I will look in to selling my property but just wondered if anyone has looked in to an exchange.
If it's an option depends what you personally like and there are dedicated sites like HomeLink, but exchanging wouldn't be for me. Wouldn't you be better off going into hotels to explore different parts of Spain if you want to buy. And as always don't rush into buying and think twice before selling up completely.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Deb16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If it's an option depends what you personally like and there are dedicated sites like HomeLink, but exchanging wouldn't be for me. Wouldn't you be better off going into hotels to explore different parts of Spain if you want to buy. And as always don't rush into buying and think twice before selling up completely.
we have been out a few times over the years looking at different areas, and been on viewing trips with agents, we were thinking of long term rental to explore further, but I just wanted to find out if anyone had done an exchange and how it worked for them...keeping lots of options open at the moment .
thank you for the link, I will have a look at it. Many thanks
Old Jun 17th 2020, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

We did home exchange a couple of times between our place in the US and the other home in Spain. It was for a week each time. It worked out pretty well and we would do it again. Although it we haven't really needed to since we bought our own place in Spain a few years ago.

We used HomeExchange.com.

Good luck.

- Eric S.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

I cant see why either side would gain from exchanging their homes, ( assuming you mean change of ownership). It would be far easier for both parties to just sell their homes and buy what they want, where they want.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

I would imagine that it would be extremely complicated to do between two different countries.

Even if its technically a swap. There would still be legal paperwork and the Uk would want its stamp duty, Spain would also want its taxes (around 10% in Alicante region). So it makes little sense as I would expect it would take years for any match to happen.

A I don't think there are any companies offering this service, you can bet its not worth doing. Otherwise there would be loads of house swap stuff on the internet.

Ive just done a search and there is a couple of firms but they don't mention anything about costs etc, just that they are a listing site.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few companies who do permament exchange.I was on one years ago as I knew the people running it & they asked me if I would add my property which I was selling then.Still running "International Property Exchange".In fact forgot to take my name off & very recently someone,after all that time,contacted me!Don't just write off this option because others may not know,it is just another option& one actually I am going to consider as I would be pleased to find an exchange with my too large apartment for something in Scotland.Good luck,we came to Spain in the 1980's & that was an unknown then also.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered renting your UK property and using that rent to fund or help fund renting a property in Spain? You are then not tied permanantly to a property in Spain and if things change you have somewhere to return to. Just another possible option.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Renting out your property is a consideration.But you have to have good reliable tenants especially if you are not there.I rented out an apartment I had in Spain.But I was near at hand & also offered a sensible rent to my tenant as I was only interested in covering my costs not making a profit & wanted only that my property was looked after.And you will be taxed of course unless you want"cash in hand" & that is a stupid way to go.I did well with minimal problems but it sounds easy & that is a choice you must think about.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
I cant see why either side would gain from exchanging their homes, ( assuming you mean change of ownership). It would be far easier for both parties to just sell their homes and buy what they want, where they want.
I agree with this Sell yours and buy another place
Old Jun 18th 2020, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Renting out your property is a consideration.But you have to have good reliable tenants especially if you are not there.I rented out an apartment I had in Spain.But I was near at hand & also offered a sensible rent to my tenant as I was only interested in covering my costs not making a profit & wanted only that my property was looked after.And you will be taxed of course unless you want"cash in hand" & that is a stupid way to go.I did well with minimal problems but it sounds easy & that is a choice you must think about.
Totally agree it is an avenue we will be going down shortly although we have owned our property in Spain a considerable time now. However with overall uncertainty we think and hope it is the best way forward to rent UK house out with hopefully good agent. Its a risk yes but such uncertain times coming who knows what the future holds. I just thought May be worth the OP considering.