Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Horse riding in the summer months.

Horse riding in the summer months.

Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Horse riding in the summer months.

Just wondering if there are any horse riding fanatics out there.

My daughter(9) is already feeling very warm in a lesson as I make her wear a back protector and hat.

I shall be speaking to her instructor about this but does anyone have any tips on riding when it is hot.

I have seen lighter weight jodphurs and I should think well have to change the riding times to earlier or later also but in the height of summer it is hot all the time.

I dont want to compromise her safety by taking off her hat and back protector - she fell off only 2 weeks ago.

Any advice?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Horse riding in the summer months.

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Just wondering if there are any horse riding fanatics out there.

My daughter(9) is already feeling very warm in a lesson as I make her wear a back protector and hat.

I shall be speaking to her instructor about this but does anyone have any tips on riding when it is hot.

I have seen lighter weight jodphurs and I should think well have to change the riding times to earlier or later also but in the height of summer it is hot all the time.

I dont want to compromise her safety by taking off her hat and back protector - she fell off only 2 weeks ago.

Any advice?
The answer is in your question. During the hot months riders take much longer siestas and ride later in the evening (or early morning).

If she happens to go somewhere where there is a pista cubierta that helps a bit too!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:49 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter rides and during the hot summer months, they only go out for long rides early in the mornings or later in the day, other than that they just have a short , ten minute trot around the paddock. Its not fair on either the riders or the horses

Jo xx
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess the normal training sessions end for a while and they have walks instead.

Makes sense and she loves the hacks too,especially when she sees snakes etc.

Agreed also its not fair on the horses-they sweat like crazy even now.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

I dont ride in the summer its just too hot.... even in the mornings..
Ive got a vented hat though for riding over here and it does stop your head sweating so much, though I dont wear a body protector, (though my daughter normally does) and I will ride in shorts..
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
I dont ride in the summer its just too hot.... even in the mornings..
Ive got a vented hat though for riding over here and it does stop your head sweating so much, though I dont wear a body protector, (though my daughter normally does) and I will ride in shorts..
Just told her that you dont ride in the summer. She said OMG.

Well just go with it and see what happens.

She has a strange spot on her forehead,quite sore, which I think has come from her sweating in her riding hat. So used to riding in english weather which is wrapping up and keeping dry for a lot of the year.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Just told her that you dont ride in the summer. She said OMG.

Well just go with it and see what happens.

She has a strange spot on her forehead,quite sore, which I think has come from her sweating in her riding hat. So used to riding in english weather which is wrapping up and keeping dry for a lot of the year.
I went to the mecca of horse riding at the weekend. El Rocio in Parque Doñana. Impresionante!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cricketman
I went to the mecca of horse riding at the weekend. El Rocio in Parque Doñana. Impresionante!
Where is this.

So much to learn.

My daughter talks and breathes them.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

But you were a few weeks early!!

It's a funny old place El Rocio. I think it looks a bit like the Wild West....all the houses have wooden posts outside so you can tie your horse to them.

Population is only something like 300 - 400 people for 51 weeks of the year. And then it booms to about a million during the pilgrimage!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Where is this.

So much to learn.

Ive got a foal due any day now, you will have to bring her to see it when its born....
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Where is this.

So much to learn.

Google it

It is in Huelva province. It is a town that has no roads for cars, only wide sandy roads for horses. Every house has a built in stable and posts for tying horses outside of. It is also the place of the biggest religious pilgrimage in Spain when around 1 million people go to El Rocio in the 7th week after Easter as the Virgin Mary appeared to a local in the 13th century.

Parque Doñana is worth visiting itself. One of the most important national parks in Europe with the only European wildcat (the lynx), hundreds of species of birds and birds of prey and 80% of Europe's wild ducks.

Plus 30km of virgin beaches which you can ride horses on too and horse tracks throughout the neighbouring Parque Dunas

Oh and I'm glad I wasnt there during pilgramage!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:49 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Where is this.

So much to learn.

Mines obsessed too!!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Google it

It is in Huelva province. It is a town that has no roads for cars, only wide sandy roads for horses. Every house has a built in stable and posts for tying horses outside of. It is also the place of the biggest religious pilgrimage in Spain when around 1 million people go to El Rocio in the 7th week after Easter as the Virgin Mary appeared to a local in the 13th century.

Parque Doñana is worth visiting itself. One of the most important national parks in Europe with the only European wildcat (the lynx), hundreds of species of birds and birds of prey and 80% of Europe's wild ducks.

Plus 30km of virgin beaches which you can ride horses on too and horse tracks throughout the neighbouring Parque Dunas

Oh and I'm glad I wasnt there during pilgramage!
Sounds amazing.Just goes to show how ignorant I am.

A house with horse facilities.

Lynx too.One of my personal fav wild animals.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

el Rocio
Attached Thumbnails Horse riding in the summer months.-dsc08363.jpg  
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
Ive got a foal due any day now, you will have to bring her to see it when its born....
Just found out where you are and have told her.

Jumped off her chair asking what breed.

We could come to you one day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.