British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Hondon...very dark! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/hondon-very-dark-511039/)

HereKittyKitty Feb 1st 2008 9:41 pm

Hondon...very dark!

Hello all,
just back from my 4 day visit to arrange NIE's, bank accounts, sign house purchase contract amongst other things! Decided to take a run up to Hondon De La Nieves in the dark, and it was, very dark!
All the streetlights were out over the whole urb. and I am hoping this is temporary due to a fault..:eek:
Great weather, lovely blue skies even if a little cool morning and evening. Doubt we will see the sun again until we are out again in July. Just about froze into an icicle arriving in Glasgow today:mad:

On a negative note, phoned moneycorp about transferring money and the rate is rubbish, 1.31 odds? Am hoping the rate changes over the next week or so:confused: It makes such a difference.

Also managed to achieve something I have wanted to do for a long time...pick an orange from a tree (or rather nicked;)) and eat it! Best orange I have tasted in many a year let me tell you!! (sad I know)

Diddy Di did I see you walking 2 JRT's and talking to Rosa at the showhouse? It occured to me later you had the 2 dogs!

Mitzyboy Feb 1st 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Hondon...very dark!

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty (Post 5871477)
On a negative note, phoned moneycorp about transferring money and the rate is rubbish, 1.31 odds? Am hoping the rate changes over the next week or so:confused: It makes such a difference.

Currencies direct and sun-pay are both slightly better than that

Diddy Di Feb 2nd 2008 5:56 am

Hello all,
just back from my 4 day visit to arrange NIE's, bank accounts, sign house purchase contract amongst other things! Decided to take a run up to Hondon De La Nieves in the dark, and it was, very dark!
All the streetlights were out over the whole urb. and I am hoping this is temporary due to a fault..:eek:
Great weather, lovely blue skies even if a little cool morning and evening. Doubt we will see the sun again until we are out again in July. Just about froze into an icicle arriving in Glasgow today:mad:

Also managed to achieve something I have wanted to do for a long time...pick an orange from a tree (or rather nicked;)) and eat it! Best orange I have tasted in many a year let me tell you!! (sad I know)

Diddy Di did I see you walking 2 JRT's and talking to Rosa at the showhouse? It occured to me later you had the 2 dogs!

Hi Kitty,
Well your all sorted then.......well done!!!!!
The lights i am afraid not a fault, they are not turned on yet (we asked the question but couldnt get a answer).
I think its something to do with the fact that they are still building & the builder wont pay for street lights, just my thoughts mind you!!!!
No it wasnt me with the two JRTs we will be over March, around about the
9th.
Will PP about other stuff.
Again well done & will see you very soon xx :thumbsup:

twyntub Feb 2nd 2008 7:43 am

Hello all,

From what we understand, the Town Hall has yet to officially adopt any of the streets on the urbanisation due to certain issues.

After being fobbed off by builders, estate agents and solicitors, we have had enough and are going to the Town Hall to discuss this in more detail - from the horses mouth so to speak.

As soon as we hear anything we will report back to this thread.

Hillybilly Feb 2nd 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Diddy Di;
will see you very soon

Not if the street lights aren't sorted, you won't ;)

HereKittyKitty Feb 2nd 2008 9:10 am

that's scary! We were convinced there must have been a fault, hard to believe there are no street lights! I saw a guy out walking a dog (german shepherd, mind you!) and thought I would be to scared to walk about in this dark!:eek: Hope they get them on soon, must be frustrating for those living there now.

Lionda Feb 2nd 2008 9:31 am

Originally Posted by twyntub (Post 5872698)
From what we understand, the Town Hall has yet to officially adopt any of the streets on the urbanisation due to certain issues.

After being fobbed off by builders, estate agents and solicitors, we have had enough and are going to the Town Hall to discuss this in more detail - from the horses mouth so to speak.

As soon as we hear anything we will report back to this thread.

And don't leave without an answer! Go get 'em TT:thumbsup:

montgomail Feb 2nd 2008 9:44 am

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty (Post 5872861)
that's scary! We were convinced there must have been a fault, hard to believe there are no street lights! I saw a guy out walking a dog (german shepherd, mind you!) and thought I would be to scared to walk about in this dark!:eek: Hope they get them on soon, must be frustrating for those living there now.

It is very normal for Spanish urbanisations to be without street lights for many many years. Best to keep an open mind on that sort of thing, or it will drive you nuts.

Lionda Feb 2nd 2008 9:53 am

Originally Posted by montgomail (Post 5872954)
It is very normal for Spanish urbanisations to be without street lights for many many years. Best to keep an open mind on that sort of thing, or it will drive you nuts.

And if anything goes faulty with them it is not uncommon to see them taken down and left lying on the pavement with wires exposed for months before they are repaired.

montgomail Feb 2nd 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Lionda (Post 5872985)
And if anything goes faulty with them it is not uncommon to see them taken down and left lying on the pavement with wires exposed for months before they are repaired.

This is one of the hardest things for people to adjust to, I think, the lack of "tidy".

There was a hole in the pavement outside my apartment block with a bit of plywood for the purpose of elf n safety. After three years we assumed it was going to be left forever, then low and behold a man and a van turned up one day and fixed it.

robbo2007 Feb 2nd 2008 5:37 pm

Maybe if a few Germans moved to the area would solve problem,as Many Hans Make Light Work:rofl::rofl::rofl:

twyntub Feb 2nd 2008 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by montgomail (Post 5872954)

Especially when the people that live there are already paying their taxes to the Town Hall to cover the cost of things like... street lighting!

montgomail Feb 2nd 2008 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by twyntub (Post 5874513)
Especially when the people that live there are already paying their taxes to the Town Hall to cover the cost of things like... street lighting!

Sure, and good luck with your town hall visit.

twyntub Feb 2nd 2008 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by montgomail (Post 5874549)
Sure, and good luck with your town hall visit.

Thanks. We're hoping it will be... very enlightening :D

montgomail Feb 2nd 2008 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by twyntub (Post 5874558)
Thanks. We're hoping it will be... very enlightening :D

I know this is obvious, but go with a Spanish mentality rather than an English/British mentality - it helps.