Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

homologation of UK degree in Spain

homologation of UK degree in Spain

Old Mar 26th 2010, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

laisaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default homologation of UK degree in Spain

I've been trying since 2007 to get my UK degree homologated in Spain. They say it can't be done because it's only a 3 year degree and therefore not equivalent to a Spanish degree. Firstly, has anyone suceeded in getting a three year degree homologated in Spain? Secondly, all this is no supposed to have changed under the Bologna rules. Has anyone done it under the new rules (i.e. within the last year) and did they have any problems.
Thanks
¡El papeleo no vencerá!
Old Mar 29th 2010, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: homologation of UK degree in Spain

I have a Valencian friend who is an archeologist. He gets all kinds of institutional problems trying to practice in Andalucía. It's just the way things are...
Old Mar 29th 2010, 5:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's a form of protectionism.

How easily do you think a Spaniard would get a Spanish degree recognised in the UK?

Sad but true.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 5:39 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Personaly I wouldn't worry too much about it.......my boss was chuffed to bits that I'd been to university and all the staff seem to think it makes me some kind of scientist....and I'm not joking either. I've found that a proffesionaly written CV does impress and counts for a lot.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

A Spanish degree is automatically recognised in UK. There is no need to homologate it. And while I'd love to brush it off, I want to do a PhD here and if I can't get my degree homologated then I can't get a PhD. You also can't work in any public sector job. I totally agree it's a form of protectionism, which seems to me to be against the rules of the EU.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laisaway
which seems to me to be against the rules of the EU.
Quite possibly, but when did the Spanish worry too much about EU rules?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

All public sector jobs require an "oposiciones" which is a public exam held every year/two years (depending on trade) and for which places are limited. Unlike the UK, where one can apply with a degree/post grad, in Spain one must have passed the oposiciones....and because public sector jobs are the most sort after (it's the nature of contracts here), you'll need to be in the top 5%.
As you may well know, the Spanish are some of the least willing to travel any distance to look for/go to work. One of the reasons is that, with regard to the public sector, an oposiciones taken,for example in Valencia, is of no use applying with in Barcelona. One takes the exam where one lives and the expectation is that the rewarded job is yours for life.
Old May 5th 2010, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

ShazH is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if you're still having problems but I have a situation in that my degree (4yr BA hons) is not counted beacuse i can't provide the module grades i obtained (simply because they didn't record them back in the
1980's!)
Since i am now teaching in a college in Spain, i have no alternative but to obtain a PGCE - which at least acknowledges i have a "bona fide" British degree and will probably have to study for the very Spanish "Técnico Superior" that i am currently teaching in order to have a qualification that is acceptable!
At least i can study and teach at the same time since i will just work with the students on the same projects but what a farce!!!:
Old May 6th 2010, 7:10 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
All public sector jobs require an "oposiciones" which is a public exam held every year/two years (depending on trade) and for which places are limited. Unlike the UK, where one can apply with a degree/post grad, in Spain one must have passed the oposiciones....and because public sector jobs are the most sort after (it's the nature of contracts here), you'll need to be in the top 5%.
As you may well know, the Spanish are some of the least willing to travel any distance to look for/go to work. One of the reasons is that, with regard to the public sector, an oposiciones taken,for example in Valencia, is of no use applying with in Barcelona. One takes the exam where one lives and the expectation is that the rewarded job is yours for life.

That about sums it up, even the Spanish with a Spanish degree have to pass the oposiciones to become and "uncivil" servant, so to speak.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Just to clear up some incorrect information.........

Any European National resident in Spain can do the oposiciones to become a funcionario. The reason you don't see many foreigners as civil servants, is purely down to ability.

It is also important to distinguish between funcionarios at State, Autonomous Region and Town Hall level.
For instance, at State level, a person must choose which area they wish to work (before exams). The regions are Ceuta, Melilla, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Las Palmas and mainland Spain. Hence, a person from Galicia that selects mainland Spain might end up working in Valencia. They do not get a choice.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avocados
Just to clear up some incorrect information.........

Any European National resident in Spain can do the oposiciones to become a funcionario. The reason you don't see many foreigners as civil servants, is purely down to ability.

It is also important to distinguish between funcionarios at State, Autonomous Region and Town Hall level.
For instance, at State level, a person must choose which area they wish to work (before exams). The regions are Ceuta, Melilla, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Las Palmas and mainland Spain. Hence, a person from Galicia that selects mainland Spain might end up working in Valencia. They do not get a choice.
Yes that is what I have been told by friends. Of course an exam based system in Spanish makes it difficult for British residents, but it up to them to learn the language of the land if they want taxes to pay for their salaries.

I've noticed some German ladies - well, I should say German-looking ladies working in the Mijas town hall, so it cant be impossible.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Just to add.....and again this only applies at State level, where I have knowledge of the process.....

Its an excellent system due to not having an interview process. The exam process is totally transparent and accountable and about as fair as possible.
Madrid controls it all from start to finish.

It is impossible to pass the exams without studying for a period of at least 6 months. Many spend years studying, failing, retaking exams the following year, etc. Most study via an academy.

Each year it varies, but the first exam consists of 3 parts:
(a)Law and Constitution, (b)psicotecnic and (c)computer.
You must pass c. You must pass a and b combined.
c consists of indepth knowledge of computer, windows, excel, access and word. You must know all the keyboard short cuts!! Imagine using a computer without a mouse.
Points deducted for wrong answers - very important.

If you pass that, next stage is a flight to Madrid for the final practical exam.
2 parts:
5 minute speed typing. minimum to pass is about 220 pulses per minute.
Create a detailed, sometimes complex document based on instructions you are given in a given time - not possible to finish it. Could be excel or access instead of word.

Pass that and you get the choice of a job. The list of available gets published (not known upto that point). You choose the jobs u would like (if u are 36th best, u must choose 36 jobs, 10th place would only need to choose 10 jobs, etc.) The best get first choice.

When the jobs are assigned, u have one month to find the workplace (they don't give a specific address, nor contact person). Turn up at work, introduce yourself as the new boy/girl. They will not have known who u are upto that point. That's it.

Last edited by avocados; May 6th 2010 at 12:30 pm.
Old May 6th 2010, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

Kler is an unknown quantity at this point

Re the query about homologation, have you tried the following site?

http://www.educacion.es/educacion/un...n-titulos.html

i would also like to try and make my 3-year degree from the 1980s count as a degree here.
Old May 6th 2010, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Dear ShazH

I also have a degree from the 80s with no marks for individual subjects. Do that mean that I do not ever have a chance of getting it homologated?

I'm interested to know more about your PGCE, as I'm also looking into that. Where or how are you going to do it? What sort of college are you teaching at and what are you teaching? Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I'm struggling to find light at the end of the tunnel and your situation sounds a bit similar.

Would be really grateful for any help.
Thanks
Old May 6th 2010, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

ShazH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi laisaway,
I'm afraid you might have the same problems as me then. The Spanish are not interested if it falls outside of their strict guidelines ie. modules, hours and grades for each must be shown. They would want to compare your or my qualification to the Spanish degree,- they look at how many hours were studied for each module....module subject title etc etc and these should be similar if not the same or they cannot be classed as equal. If they are not equal then they are not homologated.
At the moment i am teaching "an art based subject " to tecnico superior level in a private college. ( I don't want to say more as I am in a sensitive position as you will see below) All lectures/ classes are in English and the students (around 17 to 24yrs of age) are international.Everything would be fine but the problem has arisen due to the fact that the college now wishes to be become state recognized.The laughable thing is that the subject i teach is taught all around the world in state approved colleges and universities but NOT currently in Spain. We will be the FIRST to offer this "state approved degree course " (following the Spanish Junta's own guidelines for the subject) so really, they don't have anything of their own to compare it to anyway!!
Anyway, re the PGCE. I don't know what age group you want to teach, and if it is an international or English school..(I don't think this will work if you want to teach in a Spanish school) but try this link ........

http://www.pgcespain.com/en/index.php.

It's a great website and the woman running it is very helpful.......
(SNIP) - she even phoned me a school to discuss it. I will prob start next Jan ( need to sort some things out before i apply) and they will arrange teaching practise if you need it in English / British schools along the coast. The PGCE has not been recognised yet in Spain but they ARE pushing for it and I have been told by a friend of mine, who already has the qualification that until they do you can take a small exam in the Uk, to change it in to one that IS recognised and CAN be homologated easily.Think that's all i can say right now - Hope it's a help but let me know if you sign up for the course....it would be nice not be the only one over 50 on it!!!
ShazH

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 6th 2010 at 5:30 pm. Reason: email address removed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.