Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Holiday Homes From Hell

Holiday Homes From Hell

Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Holiday Homes From Hell

Originally Posted by jdr
A group of us looked at land to build houses on in Almeria years ago.
Anything you looked they were selling, yes that is ok you just need to plant 40 olive trees on the plot.
The con stood out a mile and was so obvious.
Nearly the whole of Almeria was agricultural land and reachable land was covered in polythene greenhouses, that really should of given them a hint.
We live in Almeria, there are so many houses here that are illegal. We were gonna buy last year but changed our minds after hearing so many stories from people, we just rent now. When we do evebtually buy i dont think it will be in this area.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:07 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the programme and many of them seemed pensioners. What a way to finish up in a crumbling unsellable home, my heart goes out to them. I thought there had to be a 10 year guarantee by law?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:16 am
Just Joined

golfus is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Holiday Homes From Hell

hi everyone!

I am originally spanish but I am working for Estate Agency selling properties overseas.
I just would like to let you know all little tips to void these kind of situations:

1st: NEVER EVER EVER wonder around by yourself in a foreign country looking for developers or Estate Agents. If you are looking to buy overseas speak to a Estate Agent (established for a long time) who has a headoffice in the UK.

2nd: ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT the developer has the rights to build. DO also make sure that they are all free land-grab. Tricky situation when you are looking for a place "to do up". Careful there

3rd: Browse around for the same deal. I am sorry but some of you think that you will find villas in the sourthern of Spain for £50K. If you do, mmmmm, something dodgy is there.

4th: If you look to buy a plot to build on. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE PERMIT FROM THE COUNCIL. Do not let the builder do it on your behalf. NEVER. Remember, as in UK, you will need permission for any modification on the property, even building a swimming pool!

5th: If an Estate Agent offers you something off plan, again, ask them to make sure that the developer has the rights to build, if they give you excuses like 'Easter is here and the council has not issued it yet but it is on its way" or "The council accepted it but they won't give us the paper work till May" NEVER EVER NEVER put money down!! DO NOT GO FOR IT!!! EVEN THOUGH THE PROPERTY IS OFFERED IN AN UNBEATABLE PRICE.

6th: If you like a property in a resort where the builder has finished one phase and has another one on its way. DO NOT CHOSE a plot in the unfinished one, the properties have normally same layouts ( the pilots are the best ) and it also will be cheaper!

These are little tips for you open hearted by me. I really feel upset you are all watching these programs thinking that all the Estate Agents /Builders in Spain are dodgy....

Remember. We cannot blame the whole desert just because of one little stone in it

Have very sunny days guys!!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:19 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Some good points but, I don't agree with your "Use an agent with a UK office". Many of the problems have been with the UK ones. Could name a few but probably not allowed!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:42 am
Just Joined

golfus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Some good points but, I don't agree with your "Use an agent with a UK office". Many of the problems have been with the UK ones. Could name a few but probably not allowed!
As longest as the company is Spanish Established but with a recognised branch in the Uk.
Sorry i did not specify there
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Originally Posted by golfus
1st: NEVER EVER EVER wonder around by yourself in a foreign country looking for developers or Estate Agents. If you are looking to buy overseas speak to a Estate Agent (established for a long time) who has a headoffice in the UK.
Why do you say that, what is the benefit of them having a UK headoffice? You realise how easy it would appear to have a UK registered office that was no more than your Mums house or somesuch?

Surely you're better using a reputable independent advisor and not someone who has to cover huge overheads
Old Apr 4th 2008, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Our experience with a large, long established and reputable agent with a UK head office has been very poor.

We have also dealt with a small English-speaking agency based in Spain. Experience very good.

We have also dealt with a small Spanish agent in our local village, again extremely good.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Golfus, your tips do not cover the eventuality that a legally built property with a licence from the local town hall, as in the case of the Priors, is then summarily declared illegal by the regional government which, at the time, accepted all the taxes and fees due without a word.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Golfus, your tips do not cover the eventuality that a legally built property with a licence from the local town hall, as in the case of the Priors, is then summarily declared illegal by the regional government which, at the time, accepted all the taxes and fees due without a word.
Technically, it wasn't ever legally built. For 15 years it's been against national planning rules to build on rustic land on anything less than 10,000 m2. It's not like no-one knew the rules.

The issue is that the builders, solicitors, estate agents and town halls all happily broke the rules for years. And when something was finally done, it was the homeowners that got blamed!
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:39 am
Account Closed

CarolineW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
This is why I and many other Brits would add
Point 7 "Forget it."
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

The application for the licence was published in the BoP the idea of which is to allow for objections to be made. None were. In either eventuality the Junta has committed a prima facie offence of fraud by taking taxes in respect of the construction.

Either they knew that the house had been illegally built at the time of taking the taxes or if they, the regional government, didn't know how did they expect a couple of retired foreigners to.

The Junta has also committed an offence of contempt of court by going ahead with the demolition without waiting for the result appeals in two separate courts.

None of the points in Golfus' post would have prevented this from happening.