Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Holiday home insurance

Holiday home insurance

Old Nov 28th 2022, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday home insurance

Hi Esteemed ex pats,
My holiday home insurance is up for renewal, and the figure quoted seems a little high, I have been with the same people for years !

Seeing as as I have just payed up every year without questioning anything, I am concerned I’m missing something !

firstly, I assume the insurance should be for contents only is that correct? As the building is covered by the block group insurance ?

Should i be covered for potential flood damage from my apartment to the one below for instance.

i suppose my question is what level of cover is normal for an apartment?

secondly, can anyone recommend a good insurance company who will not take me to the cleaners!

i am based in Fuengirola!

regards
Al

Last edited by Lospacoshombre; Nov 28th 2022 at 10:02 am. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 28th 2022, 11:35 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday home insurance

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Hi Esteemed ex pats,
My holiday home insurance is up for renewal, and the figure quoted seems a little high, I have been with the same people for years !

Seeing as as I have just payed up every year without questioning anything, I am concerned I’m missing something !

firstly, I assume the insurance should be for contents only is that correct? As the building is covered by the block group insurance ?

Should i be covered for potential flood damage from my apartment to the one below for instance.

secondly, can anyone recommend a good insurance company who will not take me to the cleaners!

regards
Al
Salt Bay Insurance are excellent brokers, they are very good at getting you a fair quote based on your needs so could be worthwhile contacting them.

Rosemary
Old Nov 28th 2022, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance premiums have gone up so it is worth looking around and/or also 'negotiating' with your current company they will often reduce the quotation under pressure.

And yes as Rosemary says it is often worth talking to a broker and getting their advice and quotations.
Old Nov 28th 2022, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

UKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond reputeUKMS has a reputation beyond repute

Linea Direct are also worth looking at, I have switched to them this year and my mother has been with them for donkeys years.

Even though its a holiday home, you need elements of buildings insurance on top of contents and liability insurance. You also need to have confidence in what the group policy covers.
Old Nov 28th 2022, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Hi Esteemed ex pats,

regards
Al
Another vote for Linda Direct from me.

You will need to read the block insurance very carefully but I would suggest you take out extra on the buildings re flood and fire damage from you to others (i.e. 3rd party). And from others to you in case they haven't bothered (our Spanish neighbours don't believe in insurance)..

Our community insurance just covers the communal areas (stairways, underground parking and the cost of rebuilding the block).
It doesn't cover flood, fire, damage to cars in the underground car park or anything relating to 'replaceable or repairable items' like doors and windows in the flats...
As these it considers to be acts caused by the owners...