Hola La Palma

Old Oct 21st 2015, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Jellybeans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hola La Palma

Hi,

Bob and I and looking at retiring to La Palma, possibly Tijarafe.

Anyone already there and willing to share the ins and outs?

Thanks

Jilly
Old Oct 21st 2015, 9:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hola La Palma

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 9:21 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome.

I spent a three week holiday in La Palma many years ago and it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, I would love to go back.

There were a few foreigners living there at the time - mostly German - but that might have changed by now, also Brits and others working at the observatorio.

I don't think anyone on this forum lives there but I think there is a poster who lives in El Hierro who might have some useful insights.

Incidentally, why La Palma and why Tijarafe? They are very remote - is that the attraction?
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 10:05 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

As best I recall that area was the only part of the island with significant modern tourist developments, apt blocks etc when I was last there and was very German orientated.
I got the impression during several visits that the majority of the population were not particularly welcoming with regard to tourist developments and much preferred their rural way of life.
It could be that the authorities have tried to limit such developments to one part of the island so as not to mess the rest of it up, but that is just guesswork on my behalf.
I saw a similar situation in Gomera where modern tourist development was mainly concentrated on the Southern point of the island, once again mainly German.
No doubt as Jim says La Palma is a lovely island and it would be understandable if they have tried to take care of it this way, though it's quite a while back for me also, so possibly things have changed since then, but I would hope not.
For me the Four Western Canaries knock the rest of them into a cocked hat, each having its own individual identity as well as being much greener and prettier than those to the East.