Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Higher Education Advice pls

Higher Education Advice pls

Old Sep 4th 2009, 9:54 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light
Default Higher Education Advice pls

Hi

Just got back from our holiday down in Andalucia - had a great time.

Also quite enjoyed the long drive down and back which took about 13 hours each way.

We met with some of our expat friends down there which has got me thinking about the education system here in Spain.

The problem being that our eldest daughter who is nearly 11, she speaks Spanish really well, goes to a spanish state school. Next week she starts Year 6, so next year she will go to the Instituto.

Once she starts the Instituto, I would think she would have to complete up to 16. Or would it be best to go back to the UK next year so that she can do her GCSEs there.

Does anyone have good advice on which is the better option? Has anyone got kids and has this worry?

I think myself that she would do better in the UK system and will have better opportunities. She would be so pleased to go back to the UK as she "hates" Asturias - she thinks it's so boring.

What to do?
Old Sep 5th 2009, 5:50 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Higher Education Advice pls

Originally Posted by manamama
Hi

Just got back from our holiday down in Andalucia - had a great time.

Also quite enjoyed the long drive down and back which took about 13 hours each way.

We met with some of our expat friends down there which has got me thinking about the education system here in Spain.

The problem being that our eldest daughter who is nearly 11, she speaks Spanish really well, goes to a spanish state school. Next week she starts Year 6, so next year she will go to the Instituto.

Once she starts the Instituto, I would think she would have to complete up to 16. Or would it be best to go back to the UK next year so that she can do her GCSEs there.

Does anyone have good advice on which is the better option? Has anyone got kids and has this worry?

I think myself that she would do better in the UK system and will have better opportunities. She would be so pleased to go back to the UK as she "hates" Asturias - she thinks it's so boring.

What to do?
My son went into 1st ESO last year - he really enjoys it. Plus, having only been in Spain for 2.5 years, we were really impressed when he moved up to 2nd ESO this week - just goes to show that the education system works.

We believe that the opportunities here are as good as in UK. I guess the real question is where do you (and they) think you'll be in the future.

If you have TRULY moved to Spain, then stay in the state system. If you are merely on holiday here, then perhaps you should go back.

The question, I think, is not about the quality of the education or opportunities once graduated, but more where you and your family intend to live.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

there have been discussions about this before, many expats feel that there are limited or no opportunites for English kids that have had their education in Spain in fact if I remember righly at the time no one knew a Brit kid that had reasonable employment

My son started schooling in Spain just before he was 7, he completed every year and was never held back (very proud of that fact as he did have Spanish friends in his class thathad been) he was in 1st year of ESO when we returned to UK (medical reasons)

He thinks the schooling was harder in Spain (I think the teachers were stricter) because of the amount of exams he had of course here they take their GCSE´s in their last year

Because of his level of Spanish he did his GCSE this year (aged 13) and passed with a A grade his school in Spain was Valenciano

I feel that if you are living in Spain then you should follow the Spanish education system

I personally dont know many school leavers but the couple that I do know are working in shops or bars, both have had higher education and one has even been to university
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:33 pm
Luz
Forum Regular

Luz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud of

Hi,
I'm in agreement with Snickpoh - If you have truly moved then stay in the Spanish system - If you are on "holiday" then send your child home.
Personally I would have hated to send my children "home" for education at such a young age. Surely part of their education comes from us. When they leave the family unit they no longer have our help/advice/guidance/cuddles/banter over the breakfast table/kisses goodnight. Do we sacrifice all that in the name of "a better education"?
It may end up that your chilidren have to move from Asturias to Madrid or Barcelona for a better job when they are older. The same happens in the UK. Many kids move from rural life to city life in order to further their job prospects.
Possibly one of the keys to getting a job in Spain is who you know. Lots of jobs are not advertised but you learn about them through word of mouth. If you don't work here or don't have many Spanish friends then it is more difficult to find out what jobs are available. I don't say that this system is correct but it seems to work that way in lots of cases. My two kids are working thanks to it.
Spain has lots of further education opportunities. I am sure that if your child stays here they can have a good life both in education and work and you will have the luxury of watching your child grow and develop. What a luxury¡¡¡¡¡
Old Sep 5th 2009, 7:22 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Luz
Hi,
I'm in agreement with Snickpoh - If you have truly moved then stay in the Spanish system - If you are on "holiday" then send your child home.
Personally I would have hated to send my children "home" for education at such a young age. Surely part of their education comes from us. When they leave the family unit they no longer have our help/advice/guidance/cuddles/banter over the breakfast table/kisses goodnight. Do we sacrifice all that in the name of "a better education"?
It may end up that your chilidren have to move from Asturias to Madrid or Barcelona for a better job when they are older. The same happens in the UK. Many kids move from rural life to city life in order to further their job prospects.
Possibly one of the keys to getting a job in Spain is who you know. Lots of jobs are not advertised but you learn about them through word of mouth. If you don't work here or don't have many Spanish friends then it is more difficult to find out what jobs are available. I don't say that this system is correct but it seems to work that way in lots of cases. My two kids are working thanks to it.
Spain has lots of further education opportunities. I am sure that if your child stays here they can have a good life both in education and work and you will have the luxury of watching your child grow and develop. What a luxury¡¡¡¡¡
Thanks for the replies - what is my main concern is what is available at the end of the education. Are there plently of opportunities?

From my search for info I have come across many negative comments about British children being overlooked for jobs after they leave school. Not many young people stay in Spain and do well.

We have also considered Madrid - not just education and job prospects for our children but there would be more work available for my husband and me too at some point.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:05 pm
Luz
Forum Regular

Luz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud ofLuz has much to be proud of

Hi manamama,
I think the main problem with expat children is that the parents sometimes don't know where to look or their lack of language skills prohibit them from fully investigating the options.
I worked for many years here in education and taught lots of Spanish teenagers who had nearly fallen through the net. I was impressed with the resources and the commitment of staff to get these kids back on track. The courses, in the main, were tasters. We got them interested in the subjects and they went on to learn more. Some of the subjects taught in the centre where I worked were; plumbing, builiding, computer studies, languages, tourism, offce administration, lifeguard, chambermaid, waitress.
Some of the courses had guaranteed jobs at the end, others had work experience, others simply gave the kids a belief that they could do something well and they went on and made something of their lives.
Here are some links to options for further education. As you can see the choice is wide. I have choosen links from different areas. Hope it helps

http://www.jesusobrero.org/bachillerato/
http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/empleo/pubcurfpo/
http://www.emagister.com/index_busca...CustomFilter=1
http://www.it.uc3m.es/cgarcia/util/c...rsitarias.html
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

The education system here is just as good as that of the UK and as she is 11 now, is it after this you are concerned about.
That would depend on where you live here, if you were considering University and long term if you are staying.
Job prospects are the same here as UK for teenagers but being bi-lingual is an advantage.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies - what is my main concern is what is available at the end of the education. Are there plently of opportunities?

From my search for info I have come across many negative comments about British children being overlooked for jobs after they leave school. Not many young people stay in Spain and do well.

We have also considered Madrid - not just education and job prospects for our children but there would be more work available for my husband and me too at some point.
Are you children planning on leaving education at just 16? Won't they go on to get bachillerato and then to university?

I can see no reason why they would be overlooked for a decent job in Spain if they held a Spanish degree.

If they have nothing more than ESO, or GCSEs, well then yeah I can see them being overlooked for the decent jobs, but that would be nothing to do with their nationality.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
Are you children planning on leaving education at just 16? Won't they go on to get bachillerato and then to university?

I can see no reason why they would be overlooked for a decent job in Spain if they held a Spanish degree.

If they have nothing more than ESO, or GCSEs, well then yeah I can see them being overlooked for the decent jobs, but that would be nothing to do with their nationality.
my 13 year old is already planning her bachi & then would like to go to uni in the US!

unfortunately most british kids I know here leave at 16 with just ESO (or even without) but from what I know of them they would probably have left at 16 in the UK too

we've had this 'conversation' on here before - I reckon if they are the sort of kids to do well, then they will

(although they'd have to be exceptional to manage that if introduced into the spanish system over the age of 12!)
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Veleta

I would want my daughter and other children to go onto University.

I just feel that it is a case of "hoping for the best". It is good having a few opinions from others to think about it. Unfortunately, I don't know Spanish well enough to talk to the other moms around here about their kids future.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I would want my daughter and other children to go onto University.

I just feel that it is a case of "hoping for the best". It is good having a few opinions from others to think about it. Unfortunately, I don't know Spanish well enough to talk to the other moms around here about their kids future.

Thanks for the replies.
I think a bilingual Brit holding a Spanish university degree would be in a very strong position for getting a good job. Perhaps even more so than their Spanish counterparts who are not bilingual.