Reload this Page >

HIC for Car insurance of UK reg car

HIC for Car insurance of UK reg car

Old Apr 18th 2018, 11:48 am
Just Joined

valentinesbabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HIC for Car insurance of UK reg car

Hi,
I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of using Herts Insurance to insure their UK registered car and keeping it in Spain for at least 8 months a year. Everything else I've read about car insurance for Spain seems to indicate that the Spanish police are not happy if the car has been in the country for more than 6 months without being reregistered and metriculated by the Spanish authorities. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Thanks.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 11:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HIC for Car insurance of UK reg car

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 18th 2018, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valentinesbabe
Hi,
Everything else I've read about car insurance for Spain seems to indicate that the Spanish police are not happy if the car has been in the country for more than 6 months without being reregistered and metriculated by the Spanish authorities. Does anyone have any experience of this?
Thanks.

It's not that they are unhappy rather that they apply the law which is their job. It is not quite as black and white as 6 months it may be less or indeed more depending on your residence status and whether used on the road etc more than 183. This link may help you decide what to do.
http:// http://www.healthplanspain.c...l#.WtdA_CXRYew

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 18th 2018 at 9:23 pm. Reason: Corrected qute
Old Apr 18th 2018, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest you research here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...iving-in-spain
Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:00 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I know they regularly impound UK registered cars for this offence near Torrevieja
Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

The 6 mouth rule applies to the vehicle's owner not the vehicle, as long as it's legal for UK roads you can keep it in Spain provided the owner is not in Spain for more than 6 months a year or is Spanish resident..
Library Seguros have policys that will cover a UK reg car for the period the OP requires, try giving them a call
Old Apr 20th 2018, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with wot was just sed.
I keep a car in Spain for most of the year but I'm not in the country for long enough to go against the 6 months/resident thing. I understand it is me that is the problem, not the car (as long as the car is legal in the UK with tax, MOT, Insurance etc).
Old Apr 20th 2018, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604
I agree with wot was just sed.
I keep a car in Spain for most of the year but I'm not in the country for long enough to go against the 6 months/resident thing. I understand it is me that is the problem, not the car (as long as the car is legal in the UK with tax, MOT, Insurance etc).
Me too, all fully legal and above board,incidentally if you have UK insurance your UK insurers must provide the minimum insurance in the EU country you are in, normally third party, its continuation of your UK cover to the same level that's is the problem for long stays outside the UK
Old Apr 20th 2018, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The trouble is the op has never clarified whether they and the car will be in Spain non resident for 8 months? That would breach the law but yes it all depends up on residence status etc and if non resident how long you have been physically in Spain. OP needs to clarify their situation for a definitive legal answer.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 6:56 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Using the 183 day rule for the owner rather than the car does mean that if you straddle the new year, you could be in Spain for a few days short of a year and with a street legal car you are not breaking the law.

However, try explaining that logic to a Guardia officer who is about to impound your car.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
The 6 mouth rule applies to the vehicle's owner not the vehicle
That is completely wrong nor is it anything to do with Spain itself nor the Guardia but is enshrined in the EU directive which states that a vehicle may only circulate in another country for 6 months in any 12 after which it must be locally registered or removed.

6 months in any 12 means that, contrary to common misconception, taking it out of Spain for a day, a week, a month, only suspends the counter for that period, it does not reset it.

The Healthplanspain piece linked to is so riddled with errors it's hard to know where to start !
Old Apr 21st 2018, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
That is completely wrong nor is it anything to do with Spain itself nor the Guardia but is enshrined in the EU directive which states that a vehicle may only circulate in another country for 6 months in any 12 after which it must be locally registered or removed.

6 months in any 12 means that, contrary to common misconception, taking it out of Spain for a day, a week, a month, only suspends the counter for that period, it does not reset it.

The Healthplanspain piece linked to is so riddled with errors it's hard to know where to start !
This has been covered on this forum before, you are correct that this is EU law but you are incorrect saying it applies to the vehicle, the way the EU regulation is worded only mentions the individual not the vehicle