Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

hi everyone,advise and help please

hi everyone,advise and help please

Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:33 pm
Banned

grooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to all
Default hi everyone,advise and help please

hi everyone,
im moving to espana in 3 or 4 weeks time and would like to know if there is anyone out ther in my or has been,in my situation.
im moving alone,as all my mates here are settled wih the house and the 2.4 kids etc.but i do not wanna settle in ingerland ,hell no..was going to go to barca or madrid,but mayb after some advise,im thinkin its better to go where there is a much populated british community,as my spanish is barely anything.
ive been to feungirola 6 years ago with my ex gf for a month.we had planned to be thee all summer but she wanted to come home,anyway,i thought it was quite a nice place.
id be gratefull for anyone who can help me with any uselfull advise on a good place to start,accomadation,work,and meetnig people.alho the meeting peep bit comes naturally i suppose with the work and that.im a chef which id rathr not do as its going to be far to hot(like cyprus last year),i can do bar work too.
eventually,i want to get into teaching possibly.please no digs on my post please,yes i know im a lazy typer and i need to improve my own grammer before thinking about teaching other people.
hope to hear from you all soon,
regards,
Stuart
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of
Default Re: hi everyone,advise and help please

Originally Posted by grooster
hi everyone,
im moving to espana in 3 or 4 weeks time and would like to know if there is anyone out ther in my or has been,in my situation.
im moving alone,as all my mates here are settled wih the house and the 2.4 kids etc.but i do not wanna settle in ingerland ,hell no..was going to go to barca or madrid,but mayb after some advise,im thinkin its better to go where there is a much populated british community,as my spanish is barely anything.
ive been to feungirola 6 years ago with my ex gf for a month.we had planned to be thee all summer but she wanted to come home,anyway,i thought it was quite a nice place.
id be gratefull for anyone who can help me with any uselfull advise on a good place to start,accomadation,work,and meetnig people.alho the meeting peep bit comes naturally i suppose with the work and that.im a chef which id rathr not do as its going to be far to hot(like cyprus last year),i can do bar work too.
eventually,i want to get into teaching possibly.please no digs on my post please,yes i know im a lazy typer and i need to improve my own grammer before thinking about teaching other people.
hope to hear from you all soon,
regards,
Stuart
hi and welcome to the forum..
i think before you come you will need to learn to speak spanish as most people in spain are spanish - thAT WILL OPEN UP MORE POSITIONS FOR YOU.

YOU NEED TO LOOK AT T HE DIFFERENT AREAS OF SPAIN AND FIND OUT WHERE YOU really WANT TO LIVE..NORTHERN SPAIN HAS A VERY DIFFERENT WEATHER SYSTEM TO SOUTHERN SPAIN..IT EVEN SNOWS IN SPAIN YOU KNOW..

HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS OF YOUNGSTERS COME TO SPAIN TO WORK FOR THE SuMMER..you will need to have a good rethink on your skills and look at the areas you would like to live..

nobodt can advise you on that..you need to think what you want/need from the country..are you sure that bar work if you can get it will pay the rent, never mind bills..

i am a school teacher and even with a B.ED Hons i dont expect to get a job teaching in spain...

good luck with all you do..someone will come along and give you more or very different advice..
carole
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:51 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

What can I say. For the love of god do some serious research. Waaayy too many people go to Spain with inadequate financial backing, hopeless dreams and not enough info.

That (and the identical package in other countries worldwide) accounts IMO for why some 70% of expats end up going home.

Getting work in Spain is a swine. I for one take my hat off to anyone who succeeds in it. It can be done, but I tell you straight. One of the things I do glean from all those 'living in the sun' progs is this. Those that make it there do so by working all the hours god sends for comparatively low wages.

It's hard enough for the Spanish to get work.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole
hi and welcome to the forum..
i think before you come you will need to learn to speak spanish as most people in spain are spanish - thAT WILL OPEN UP MORE POSITIONS FOR YOU.

YOU NEED TO LOOK AT T HE DIFFERENT AREAS OF SPAIN AND FIND OUT WHERE YOU really WANT TO LIVE..NORTHERN SPAIN HAS A VERY DIFFERENT WEATHER SYSTEM TO SOUTHERN SPAIN..IT EVEN SNOWS IN SPAIN YOU KNOW..

HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS OF YOUNGSTERS COME TO SPAIN TO WORK FOR THE SuMMER..you will need to have a good rethink on your skills and look at the areas you would like to live..

nobodt can advise you on that..you need to think what you want/need from the country..are you sure that bar work if you can get it will pay the rent, never mind bills..

i am a school teacher and even with a B.ED Hons i dont expect to get a job teaching in spain...

good luck with all you do..someone will come along and give you more or very different advice..
carole
Keyboards from 8 quid HERE.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:18 pm
Banned

grooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to allgrooster is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bil
What can I say. For the love of god do some serious research. Waaayy too many people go to Spain with inadequate financial backing, hopeless dreams and not enough info.

That (and the identical package in other countries worldwide) accounts IMO for why some 70% of expats end up going home.

Getting work in Spain is a swine. I for one take my hat off to anyone who succeeds in it. It can be done, but I tell you straight. One of the things I do glean from all those 'living in the sun' progs is this. Those that make it there do so by working all the hours god sends for comparatively low wages.

It's hard enough for the Spanish to get work.
who said i dont have any money bill?i got plenty thanks.i am sick and tired fo people trying to put me o going abroad.it happened last year before i went to cyprus.think he was called bill too actually.i got a job there and survived easliy and saved.it not rocket science to wor ou how to live is it.i want advise on where to go,not that i need 10k to come there
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grooster
who said i dont have any money bill?i got plenty thanks.i am sick and tired fo people trying to put me o going abroad.it happened last year before i went to cyprus.think he was called bill too actually.i got a job there and survived easliy and saved.it not rocket science to wor ou how to live is it.i want advise on where to go,not that i need 10k to come there

Tranquillo
You get a balanced view here ..... if we just told people the good bits then we'd surely be doing them a disservice
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:27 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I never said anything about your state of affairs. You could have half a million in the bank for all I know, and nothing I said was meant as a criticism of you.

What I did say still stands. It's not rocket science, but it sure as hell ain't that easy, else why the huge failure rate?

I'd be one of the last to put you off. I'm desperate to get out of the UK myself.

I'd just like to see you succeed where so many have failed.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
I never said anything about your state of affairs. You could have half a million in the bank for all I know, and nothing I said was meant as a criticism of you.

What I did say still stands. It's not rocket science, but it sure as hell ain't that easy, else why the huge failure rate?

I'd be one of the last to put you off. I'm desperate to get out of the UK myself.

I'd just like to see you succeed where so many have failed.
thanks bill,i know ur just trying to help.the best and easiest way to learn spanish is to be out there tho surely.i am self teaching myslef but its not that easy and u can only lean a certain amount form this way.i was in feunigorla few years back.do u nkow wot its like there now?where u reckon ishd head for?good place to mix with both spanish and english
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:57 pm
bil
Banned

No probs. I agree that the best way to learn is there. HOWEVER, some study of grammar will help you to understand why the language is used the way it is. Another good idea when you are out there and able to speak a bit is to advertise for an intercambio with a Spaniard.

The idea is that you go to a bar or wherever for an hour at a time. The first half you talk in one language ONLY, and then the other for the second half.

Also, if you can afford it, what I will want to do is to pay for lessons to ask questions about why this and not that and so on from someone who really understands grammar. That's a big difference from someone who speaks the language btw.

Apologies if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs, btw.

Here's a list of books I find very useful.

501 Spanish verbs
1001 pitfalls in Spanish
a big dictionary for serious research, and a smaller one for everyday work.

Teach yourself Spanish grammar, plus a couple of other grammar books as they don't all cover all the points, I find.

Oh yes, 'Punto por punto' is a condensed version of grammar that is excellent, if a tad concentrated.

Were it still in print, 'Spanish verbs simplified' would help to show all the short cuts to creating verbs.

If you like to pm me your email I will send you, and anyone else who wants it some verb stuff including a paper computer diagram of how verb tenses are formed plus my home made guide to the tenses, how they are formed and when you should use them all.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:02 pm
bil
Banned

I hope this will be display so that it is understandable. It's a way of seeing how most of the tenses we use are translated into the Spanish using Hablar as a regular AR verb to show what I mean.

HABLAR.

INDICATIVE TENSES.

Present I speak Hablo, hablas, habla, hablamos, hableis, hablan
Imperfect I used to speak Hablaba
Preterit I spoke Hablé, hablaste, habló, hablamos, hablasteis, hablaron

Future I will speak Hablaré
Conditional I would speak Hablaría

Infinitive Perfect To have spoken Haber hablado
Participle Perfect Having spoken Habiendo hablado

Perfect I have spoken Hé hablado
Pluperfect I had spoken Había hablado
Future Perfect I will have spoken Habré hablado
Conditional Perfect I would have spoken Habría hablado

Imperative Speak! Habla, hable, hablemos, hablad, hablen
Don’t speak! No Hables, hable, hablemos, hableis, hablen

Present Subjunctive If I speak/would speak Hable
Imperfect Subjunctive If I spoke/were I to speak Hablara (Hablase)

Perfect Subjunctive that/if I have spoken Haya hablado
Pluperfect Subjunctive Had I spoken Hubiera hablado
(Hubiese hablado)

PROGRESSIVE TENSES.

Present I am speaking Estoy hablando
Imperfect I was speaking Estaba hablando
Preterite I spoke (for a long time) Estuve hablando
Future I will be speaking Estaré hablando
Conditional I would be speaking Estaría hablando

Perfect I have been speaking Hé estado hablando
Pluperfect I had been speaking Había estado hablando
Future Perfect I will have been speaking Habré estado hablando
Conditional Perfect I would have been speaking Habría estado hablando

Present Subjunctive If I am speaking Esté hablando
Imperfect Subjunctive Were I speaking Estuviera hablando
Perfect Subjunctive that/if I have been speaking Haya estado hablando
Pluperfect Subjunctive Had I been speaking Hubiera estado hablando
(Hubiese estado hablando)

IMMEDIATE TENSES.

Immediate Future I am going to speak Voy a hablar
Immediate Imperfect I was going to speak Iba a hablar

Present Subjunctive If I am going to speak Esté yendo a hablar
Imperfect Subjunctive Were I going to speak Estuviera yendo a hablar
Pluperfect Subjunctive Had I been going to speak Hubiera estado yendo a hablar

Modals + :

Have to speak Tener que hablar To begin to speak Empezar a hablar
Ought to speak Deber hablar To finish speaking Terminar de hablar
Be supposed to speak Haber de hablar To quit speaking Dejar hablar
It is necessary to speak Hay que hablar To have just spoken Acabar de hablar
Need to speak Hacer falta hablar To speak again Volver a hablar
Usually speak Soler hablar To do s.one the favour
Be able to speak Poder hablar of speaking Servirse hablar
Know how to speak Saber hablar
To want to speak Querer hablar
Could speak Podria hablar
(=would be able to speak)

To keep right on talking Ir hablando
Seguir hablando
e.g.

He keeps right on talking Va hablando
He kept right on talking Iba hablando

He keeps right on talking Sigue hablando
He kept right on talking Seguía hablando
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
I hope this will be display so that it is understandable. It's a way of seeing how most of the tenses we use are translated into the Spanish using Hablar as a regular AR verb to show what I mean.

HABLAR.

INDICATIVE TENSES.

Present I speak Hablo, hablas, habla, hablamos, hableis, hablan
Imperfect I used to speak Hablaba
Preterit I spoke Hablé, hablaste, habló, hablamos, hablasteis, hablaron

Future I will speak Hablaré
Conditional I would speak Hablaría

Infinitive Perfect To have spoken Haber hablado
Participle Perfect Having spoken Habiendo hablado

Perfect I have spoken Hé hablado
Pluperfect I had spoken Había hablado
Future Perfect I will have spoken Habré hablado
Conditional Perfect I would have spoken Habría hablado

Imperative Speak! Habla, hable, hablemos, hablad, hablen
Don’t speak! No Hables, hable, hablemos, hableis, hablen

Present Subjunctive If I speak/would speak Hable
Imperfect Subjunctive If I spoke/were I to speak Hablara (Hablase)

Perfect Subjunctive that/if I have spoken Haya hablado
Pluperfect Subjunctive Had I spoken Hubiera hablado
(Hubiese hablado)

PROGRESSIVE TENSES.

Present I am speaking Estoy hablando
Imperfect I was speaking Estaba hablando
Preterite I spoke (for a long time) Estuve hablando
Future I will be speaking Estaré hablando
Conditional I would be speaking Estaría hablando

Perfect I have been speaking Hé estado hablando
Pluperfect I had been speaking Había estado hablando
Future Perfect I will have been speaking Habré estado hablando
Conditional Perfect I would have been speaking Habría estado hablando

Present Subjunctive If I am speaking Esté hablando
Imperfect Subjunctive Were I speaking Estuviera hablando
Perfect Subjunctive that/if I have been speaking Haya estado hablando
Pluperfect Subjunctive Had I been speaking Hubiera estado hablando
(Hubiese estado hablando)

IMMEDIATE TENSES.

Immediate Future I am going to speak Voy a hablar
Immediate Imperfect I was going to speak Iba a hablar

Present Subjunctive If I am going to speak Esté yendo a hablar
Imperfect Subjunctive Were I going to speak Estuviera yendo a hablar
Pluperfect Subjunctive Had I been going to speak Hubiera estado yendo a hablar

Modals + :

Have to speak Tener que hablar To begin to speak Empezar a hablar
Ought to speak Deber hablar To finish speaking Terminar de hablar
Be supposed to speak Haber de hablar To quit speaking Dejar hablar
It is necessary to speak Hay que hablar To have just spoken Acabar de hablar
Need to speak Hacer falta hablar To speak again Volver a hablar
Usually speak Soler hablar To do s.one the favour
Be able to speak Poder hablar of speaking Servirse hablar
Know how to speak Saber hablar
To want to speak Querer hablar
Could speak Podria hablar
(=would be able to speak)

To keep right on talking Ir hablando
Seguir hablando
e.g.

He keeps right on talking Va hablando
He kept right on talking Iba hablando

He keeps right on talking Sigue hablando
He kept right on talking Seguía hablando
right.........can we slow down please bill,i will send u my email address,do uhave msn?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:01 pm
bil
Banned

MSN no, I have emailed you the tense map.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

kayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nice

Bil, I would like to have a copy of your verbs but can't work out how to send pms!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:44 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kayley
Bil, I would like to have a copy of your verbs but can't work out how to send pms!
Click on the username.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

kayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nicekayley is just really nice

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.