British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Hi to all in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/hi-all-spain-493440/)

snap Nov 13th 2007 8:36 am

Re: Hi to all in Spain

I've just done the reverse move: photographer returning to the UK. I think you answered your own question with the comment about grass being greener. Many British people visit Spain and are seduced by the apparently relaxed lifestyle and sunshine. The reality is often very different. Many Brits who start a new life in Spain just take their problems with them and find them unresolved in the new country.
It really depends on your outlook. If you are the kind of person who is not too bothered about timekeeping, tidiness or manners, Spain is for you. I met a number of expats in Madrid who love the place. It has to be said that I met no Brit in Madrid during the three years I lived there who went for the culture or the beauty of the city. All were there for work reasons with multinationals or the embassy.
Madrid is not representative of all the country. I would say there probably is work for you but it will be very poorly paid. Most photographers I have met in Spain are just scratching a living. If you can gain a reputation amongst the expat community you could get work by word of mouth, as the communities can be very close- knit. I'd forget about marketing to Spanish people, you'll find it hard to get them to part with their money. You're also up against the fact that everyone has digital cameras and photo editing software. If you have more artistic aspirations then head for Barcelona, which is the most cosmopolitan city in Spain. Most other places are overgrown villages.
I'm glad to be out of Spain. It was the worst three years of my life.

thephotographer Nov 13th 2007 8:47 am

Hi Snap

Sorry to hear it did not work out for you but welcome back to the UK.Are you carrying on as a photographer here. What sort of work do you do

stew

snap Nov 13th 2007 9:21 am

I worked in national newspapers and magazines, also design & advertising. For a while, I had a portrait studio as a sideline but couldn't compete against the slick marketing of people like Venture.
I still do the occasional magazine job, mostly illustration rather than photography, I am now involved in a web design start-up.
I never managed to make any headway in Spain even though I speak Spanish (my wife is from Castilla).
I made a big mistake by taking on a long book project which meant me burning boats in the UK, after I finshed it in Spain, I found there was not enough work. The book only sold a few thousand copies. Luckily my wife works in local government in Madrid, one of the funcionarios
There are many good photographers in Spain but very little money to sustain them. Everyone complains.
I'm very happy to be back in the UK. Living away makes one realise how much of a nation of moaners are the British. We complain about things so much we don't notice the really great things about living in the UK. It really isn't the bad place the Daily Mail would have us believe.

thephotographer Nov 13th 2007 9:49 am

Hi

You are right about Venture being slick, they need to be at their prices ;) Best of luck with the web design business

stew

snap Nov 13th 2007 10:08 am

Thanks, and good luck with whatever way you decide to go.
Michael.