Hi!

Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

MagicWriter2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi!

Hi, am new to this site. My husband and I are considering moving to one of the residential retirement parks in Spain. Does anyone on here live on one or know someone who does? Also, we are wondering if we could afford to live on my husbands RAF pension, how much would it cost a couple to live comfortably bearing in mind we would not be eating out all the while like you do on holiday. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi!

Originally Posted by MagicWriter2014
Hi, am new to this site. My husband and I are considering moving to one of the residential retirement parks in Spain. Does anyone on here live on one or know someone who does? Also, we are wondering if we could afford to live on my husbands RAF pension, how much would it cost a couple to live comfortably bearing in mind we would not be eating out all the while like you do on holiday. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.
I understand these retirement parks are very ex pensive so hope your husbands pension is very generous!
To answer a question like this you need to provide a lot more info. You can find out a lot yourself by searching this forum and others, where there is lots of info, or just Google your subject.
You do not mention your age but are obviously not state pensioners yet.
You need to research health care, as you will not be eligible for Spanish NHS, and will no longer receive UK health care.
You will also need to look into tax implications, income tax, inheritance tax etc, which are very different to UK.
If you are both fit and well you could try renting first.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, if relevant, look at current requirements for becoming resident in Spain.

I don't live on a site but have seen one and heard many horror stories about some. Do some research on them if you have not already.

Eating out where I live is cheap ! breakfast about 3 euros, a few tapas for lunch with a soft drink average 5 euros. Plate meal in the evening probably from 5 to 20 euros for a steak on the stone.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

MagicWriter2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neptuno
I understand these retirement parks are very ex pensive so hope your husbands pension is very generous!
To answer a question like this you need to provide a lot more info. You can find out a lot yourself by searching this forum and others, where there is lots of info, or just Google your subject.
You do not mention your age but are obviously not state pensioners yet.
You need to research health care, as you will not be eligible for Spanish NHS, and will no longer receive UK health care.
You will also need to look into tax implications, income tax, inheritance tax etc, which are very different to UK.
If you are both fit and well you could try renting first.
Hi Neptuno, the parks we have looked at have mobile homes from about £15,000 up to whatever you wish to pay, plus they are meant to be in gated communities with English speaking staff. What attracted us was that initially we would have a ready made support system there while we had the chance to try and learn some Spanish and explore the real Spain. A kind of "best of both worlds", great weather but being amongst other expats.
You were right when you said we are not of pensionable age, but as the UK keep upping the age for retirement, we might never live long enough to enjoy one if we do not do something radical now!
How do expats finance their healthcare then? Are there not insurance plans you can get?
That's why we have come on here, to try and get help in where to find out these things as you never know what to believe on the Internet as information can be quite contradictory.
Thanks for your reply though.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to prove you have health cover when you apply for residency, and also prove your financial status.if you have existing health conditions they may not be covered.A system where you can pay monthly into the Spanish health system is in progress in some regions, but you have to have been resident for a year first.
I misunderstood your first post-I thought you meant these luxury retirement complexes , with apartments and grounds maintained, providing care when no longer able.

Whether you would have enough to live on depends on the RAF pension and your lifestyle.
You really do need to do some research, look at sites like Anglo info, UK in Spain, and use the search facility on this forum for eg taxes, health care, as you need to know so much, and people answering you would just be regurgitating stuff.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Hi, if relevant, look at current requirements for becoming resident in Spain.

I don't live on a site but have seen one and heard many horror stories about some. Do some research on them if you have not already.

Eating out where I live is cheap ! breakfast about 3 euros, a few tapas for lunch with a soft drink average 5 euros. Plate meal in the evening probably from 5 to 20 euros for a steak on the stone.
I recall reading somewhere about a court case where a guy sold mobile homes on plots of land but went bust with only a small number sold. (citing "the recession" IIRC)
But it turned out that although he had sold the plots and the homes he didn't have title to them and the (once again British) owners are out on their ear.

such a move is fraught with all sorts of pitfalls I am afraid. What may seem like a reasonable deal, all printed on glossy paper, written in English by English, lots of nice photo's etc etc has proven to still be nothing but a blank cheque for someone - but not the owners.

The problems being experienced in Ayamonte is a case in point.

`
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MagicWriter2014
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary