Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hens and Roosters next door

Hens and Roosters next door

Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hens and Roosters next door

Originally Posted by sunnyboyjohn
My question was is it against the law. The answer I got was yes it is against the law in this situation.

Why should someone break the law?

For a society to function, we need to follow the laws that have been agreed upon. If I personally think that a certain law has no right to exist, I should still follow it because otherwise the whole law system is useless. Everyone can subjectively decide which laws to follow.

I left England 15 years ago for a better life in Spain, one of the reasons for leaving the country I was born in was I had become exasperated with peoples attitude and respect for other people and the law in general.
People would not challenge others who thought it was OK to throw litter on the floor, play loud music after a certain hour, swearing in public. All minor (but all against the law of the land)

Parents had no or very little concern to what their children got up to parents shirked their responsibilities both to their children and to fellow citizens - to the detriment of everyone. As long as it was not in their back yard, it did not concern them.

If I still lived in England and my next-door neighbor broke the law I would report the matter. Some people would not. Would I be wrong?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

If I still lived in England and my next-door neighbor broke the law I would report the matter. Some people would not. Would I be wrong?
As a neighbour, you should talk to your neighbours, not go behind their backs and report them to the authorities without trying to solve the problem between yourselves first. If the neighbours are hostile or refuse to communicate then ask what the other neighbours think, and then if needed go to the authorities

If you love the law so much then you should have gone to Germany not Spain. Spanish people are anarchists at heart. Neighbours and communities self-govern a lot of time based on friendships and common sense

Your actions with ostrocise yourself and quite rightly so in my opinion. It is like being at school, I would not be friends with someone who reported me to the teacher behind my back.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 9:31 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I left England 15 years ago for a better life in Spain, one of the reasons for leaving the country I was born in was I had become exasperated with peoples attitude and respect for other people and the law in general.
People would not challenge others who thought it was OK to throw litter on the floor, play loud music after a certain hour, swearing in public. All minor (but all against the law of the land)
Shame you didn't do a little more research before choosing Spain then.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:06 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

In Granada you cannot keep more than three pets.

http://spanishnewstoday.com/controve...l#.U1jhrOaSz04
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:30 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
In Granada you cannot keep more than three pets.

http://spanishnewstoday.com/controve...l#.U1jhrOaSz04
How ridiculous!

So if I wanted to keep half a dozen tropical fish, I couldn't?!?!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:58 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently it only applies to dogs and cats. It has met with huge protests!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

So 3 elephants and a couple of hyenas is acceptable
Old Apr 24th 2014, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

I think that depends on which law is being broken. If that law only stands as a vote winner or if itĀ“s for the protection of the greater good. And of course if it bothered me.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No. It would be the right course of action in the end & as a last resort.

First is to speak with the neighbour, perhaps several times and also with other neighbours .

Once all else fails & if the problem is intruding on your lives, then there may be little option but to report to a local council or whatever it is called for that country. Here in NZ it is local council.

However, that doesn't often result in happy days as being on bad terms with a neighbour , especially one that may not accept any sanction, can also be intrusive as you must still share said boundary. Further, friends & other neighbours of said neighbour may be called on to also express their ire.

Not that I want to be on any sort of terms at all with one of our particular neighbours as you can read here.
I'd actually like to watch them being slowly liquidised.
Nearly 5 years , we may have managed to curtail their assorted activities & revenge campaign.
So I do get that an inconsiderate neighbour is a pain in the bum.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:40 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We had not lived here for long when we encountered a problem regarding dog feces on a terrace in a flat next door. The flat and dog belonged to the son of the family so as I did not feel confident enough to talk to the neighbours about this so I wrote a friendly note asking them how to proceed to get this sorted. Apparently several of their life long friends had been complaining to them and all they did was shrug their shoulders and say that it was their sonĀ“s dog and nothing really to do with them. Now whether it was because they did not know whether we would take this further or a friendly gesture on their part I will never know but within an hour the terrace was cleared and the dog had been taken to live elsewhere. The woman came and told me what they had done and begged my forgiveness saying that her son had moved in with his girlfriend and had only been popping in to feed and water the dog but not clearing up after it.

These particular neighbours became the best friends that anyone could hope for and supported me when Graham was having his long operations and after he died.

So what I am saying is that you cannot beat the direct approach and that you never know how things will pan out in the long run.

Rosemary
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:54 am
Just Joined

sunnyboyjohn has a brilliant futuresunnyboyjohn has a brilliant futuresunnyboyjohn has a brilliant futuresunnyboyjohn has a brilliant futuresunnyboyjohn has a brilliant futuresunnyboyjohn has a brilliant futuresunnyboyjohn has a brilliant future

Just to answer some of the reply's to (is it against the law). The animals appeared after we had lived in our property for over 14 years, (so no they were not there when we purchased the house). We had spoke with our neighbor about the animals (and other neighbors), his reply was it was his hobby now that he had packed in work and he was hoping to breed rabbits and construct a small building to skin and slaughter them for sale in the town. We found out he had been visiting bars and some neighbors boosting that he would be able to supply everything from chickens, eggs, rabbits and goats milk. As I mentioned we do not live in a small village, a Pablo or a rural area. We had advice from various people and we have a spoken with the town hall and it is against the law on Health issues. Someone, I am sure will say we have stopped a poor old Spanish man from enjoying his hobby and we should be more tolerant with our neighbors. Sorry our neighbor and his hobby became a health hazard, be him Spanish, English or German (god knows how Germany got mentioned in one of the posting). My advice to anyone if someone is doing something which is against the law, take advice and act on it. Don't ignore it you might end up with a building next to yours slaughtering animals.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Just to answer some of the reply's to (is it against the law). The animals appeared after we had lived in our property for over 14 years, (so no they were not there when we purchased the house). We had spoke with our neighbor about the animals (and other neighbors), his reply was it was his hobby now that he had packed in work and he was hoping to breed rabbits and construct a small building to skin and slaughter them for sale in the town. We found out he had been visiting bars and some neighbors boosting that he would be able to supply everything from chickens, eggs, rabbits and goats milk. As I mentioned we do not live in a small village, a Pablo or a rural area. We had advice from various people and we have a spoken with the town hall and it is against the law on Health issues. Someone, I am sure will say we have stopped a poor old Spanish man from enjoying his hobby and we should be more tolerant with our neighbors. Sorry our neighbor and his hobby became a health hazard, be him Spanish, English or German (god knows how Germany got mentioned in one of the posting). My advice to anyone if someone is doing something which is against the law, take advice and act on it. Don't ignore it you might end up with a building next to yours slaughtering animals.
Given the whole context, then your actions seem completely in proportion
Old Apr 25th 2014, 9:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Not me. Being tolerant of your neighbours should never include running health risks.

Rosemary
Old Apr 25th 2014, 10:29 am
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Given the whole context, then your actions seem completely in proportion
I agree.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
How ridiculous!

So if I wanted to keep half a dozen tropical fish, I couldn't?!?!
Not if they did either of the following:
1, Barking
2, Shitting in the neighbours garden.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.