Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help!!! Where to live in Spain

Help!!! Where to live in Spain

Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!! Where to live in Spain

Originally Posted by AndyS
Well, not sure I'd go that far but it certainly ticks all the boxes for us. Just need the commercial centre and hotel finished, then it will be perfect, but guess that could be a long wait. Lots of other lovely places in Spain, so good luck to Julie123 in her search
Really cheap place at El Chorro, quiet, great views, but a bit dodgy to get there.

Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:56 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Really cheap place at El Chorro, quiet, great views, but a bit dodgy to get there.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw&feature=related

Bloody hell - do you have to come back down the same way too
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Bloody hell - do you have to come back down the same way too
Seven or eight have got down a bit quicker unluckily.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:00 am
Just Joined

laulah is an unknown quantity at this point

Warmly recommend Barcelona - here we have the beach, mountains, nature, money, cheap flights all over globe, fantastic gastronomic offer and huge amount of art
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:02 am
Just Joined

ukdobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw&feature=related
What number bus runs there
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by ukdobby
What number bus runs there
Funnily enough there is a train that goes there.
It`s where they filmed Von Ryans Express.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by laulah
Warmly recommend Barcelona - here we have the beach, mountains, nature, money, cheap flights all over globe, fantastic gastronomic offer and huge amount of art
Mmm, I beg to differ here, you have no money left after paying the inflated prices for everything! I lived there for 7 years and agree that the city has it all, but the costs are extortionate and the salaries don't generally reflect that in my opinion. Buying a home is only an option if you earn well, and I mean well, above the average salary for Spain. Even renting is ludicrously expensive unless you are really lucky.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Mmm, I beg to differ here, you have no money left after paying the inflated prices for everything! I lived there for 7 years and agree that the city has it all, but the costs are extortionate and the salaries don't generally reflect that in my opinion. Buying a home is only an option if you earn well, and I mean well, above the average salary for Spain. Even renting is ludicrously expensive unless you are really lucky.
Yes we found Barcelona quite uncomfortable; noisy, jam packed with tourists, humid in the summer, expensive accomodation and people are unfriendly unless you speak Catalan. But if you can deal with those things its a wonderful place
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, those are all of the reasons why we aren't there any more!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:21 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Bloody cold as well,..too close to the Pyranees.
I seen snow lying on the beach for well over a week there a few year back.
Brrrrrrr!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:38 am
Just Joined

It's all about choices and what you are looking for At the moment I am happy to live modest here in the middle of all excitement and action than bigger and nicer somewhere more quiet place. Probably I get bored some day and decide to spend more for higher standards of living but now I could not imagine living anywhere else in Spain - I have previous experience from Madrid and Costa del Sol.

What it comes to noisiness, tourists, expensive accommodation and food - you'll face same problems all over Spain if you don't know where to go I have not had any problems with "rude" Catalans or Catalan language so far, in my opinion it's a problem more in our heads than theirs.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

It's all about choices and what you are looking for At the moment I am happy to live modest here in the middle of all excitement and action than bigger and nicer somewhere more quiet place. Probably I get bored some day and decide to spend more for higher standards of living but now I could not imagine living anywhere else in Spain - I have previous experience from Madrid and Costa del Sol.

What it comes to noisiness, tourists, expensive accommodation and food - you'll face same problems all over Spain if you don't know where to go I have not had any problems with "rude" Catalans or Catalan language so far, in my opinion it's a problem more in our heads than theirs.
Absolutely, Barcelona is still a great place, maybe we'll go back to live their one day.

I dont agree with the Catalan angle though. We felt on the periphery of things because we spoke Spanish and not Catalan. And many jobs ask for Catalan too. If we went back that is definitely something we'd have to commit to - and of course all state schools teach in Catalan only now, with Spanish treated only as a second language
Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
Absolutely, Barcelona is still a great place, maybe we'll go back to live their one day.

I dont agree with the Catalan angle though. We felt on the periphery of things because we spoke Spanish and not Catalan. And many jobs ask for Catalan too. If we went back that is definitely something we'd have to commit to - and of course all state schools teach in Catalan only now, with Spanish treated only as a second language
This is honestly something I have not experienced. Ever. I don't speak a word of Catalan, only Spanish, and have never had any kind of problems of getting along with Catalans. I work in HR industry and we rarely receive vacancies where Catalan is required. When did you use to live here?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is honestly something I have not experienced. Ever. I don't speak a word of Catalan, only Spanish, and have never had any kind of problems of getting along with Catalans. I work in HR industry and we rarely receive vacancies where Catalan is required. When did you use to live here?
I lived next to Parque Cuitadella. Too central to be comfortable.

I don't have any problem getting along with Catalans, they're nice people, but my Catalan is almost non-existant

I'm surprised that you work in HR and Catalan isnt an issue. Am I right in saying that anyone who deals with customers in any form in Catalunya is obliged by law to speak Catalan fluently? And almost all job adverts I saw said Catalan was a requirement

Ah sorry you said when, not where! We lived for a year and a half up until last year

Last edited by cricketman; Apr 16th 2010 at 1:30 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes we found Barcelona quite uncomfortable; noisy, jam packed with tourists, humid in the summer, expensive accomodation and people are unfriendly unless you speak Catalan. But if you can deal with those things its a wonderful place
Not only that, isn't Barcelona quite an expensive place to live? The houses are more expensive too than further South.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.