Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help ! We got Bees.

Help ! We got Bees.

Old Apr 11th 2014, 12:23 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of
Default Help ! We got Bees.

We have had a swarm / hive move in, they have got up through the persiana's into the wall cavity.
While we don't actually mind having tenants We can't open any of the windows in the main bedroom & bathroom, plus the blinds are now jammed. So far they haven't found a way actually in side the house & there are a lot of them.

What's the procedure in getting them relocated ?

Suzi
Old Apr 11th 2014, 12:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help ! We got Bees.

Originally Posted by Grebo
We have had a swarm / hive move in, they have got up through the persiana's into the wall cavity.
While we don't actually mind having tenants We can't open any of the windows in the main bedroom & bathroom, plus the blinds are now jammed. So far they haven't found a way actually in side the house & there are a lot of them.

What's the procedure in getting them relocated ?

Suzi
you need to contact your pest control via the town hall.

There is really nothing you can do yourself.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 1:04 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Thanks, townhall then.
We have no intention of upsetting them ourselves, leave that to the experts.

Suzi
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:50 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

When life gives you bees..........make honey.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

I have to say that although their presence is not very welcome in the house, Bees are NOT PESTS. There is a shortage of Bees in the world due to the widespread use of toxic pesticides. Without bees there will be no future for agriculture of horticulture etc.

Last edited by marcbernard; Apr 11th 2014 at 2:53 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:30 pm
I believe.

Originally Posted by marcbernard
I have to say that although their presence is not very welcome in the house, Bees are NOT PESTS. There is a shortage of Bees in the world due to the widespread use of toxic pesticides. Without bees there will be no future for agriculture of horticulture etc.
Absolutly agree, just not keen on 'beeing' hummed to sleep & it's going to be tricky when it warms up if we can't open the windows.

Suzi
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Find a beekeeper, there are many, they will come and advise and if at all possible remove. Mine is too far away.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 4:00 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

As a beekeeper myself, it sounds as though they are in a particularly difficult place to get to.

If they are by the window, do you have a 'box-type' persiana? If so, maybe they are 'nesting' in there and could be removed by a beekeeper.

If they truly are in the cavity, then it will be impossible to get them out cleanly - unfortunately.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:54 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

This won't be a popular reply, but if you've got grandchildren coming over you could use a Cucal spray on the bees after dark when they've gone to sleep. (The bees).

After a couple of night's sprayings they'll move elsewhere to make their honey.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

If your spanish is up to it, there's a forum for beekeepers here where you might get some advice http://salines.mforos.com/
Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:12 pm
I believe.

Right, well he have a helpful neighbour who told us to call the police Local.
Which they did for us They came along had a look & agreed that yes they where bees & rang the local bee man, he turned up 5 minutes later.
Now I don't know much about Bees, BUT.
He told us to make up some mozi type panels put them over the windows at night so they couldn't get back in, now I asked so aren't they in there at night ?
To which he said no they go elsewhere
Snikpoh, is this true ? I don't think so from what I have googled.
I have no intention of opening up these windows to put a frame on the out side.
& We can't reach them from the outside as it is two high.
What do you suggest ?

Suzi
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:25 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Grebo
Right, well he have a helpful neighbour who told us to call the police Local.
Which they did for us They came along had a look & agreed that yes they where bees & rang the local bee man, he turned up 5 minutes later.
Now I don't know much about Bees, BUT.
He told us to make up some mozi type panels put them over the windows at night so they couldn't get back in, now I asked so aren't they in there at night ?
To which he said no they go elsewhere
Snikpoh, is this true ? I don't think so from what I have googled.
I have no intention of opening up these windows to put a frame on the out side.
& We can't reach them from the outside as it is two high.
What do you suggest ?

Suzi
He's talking 'rot'!

Bees don't fly at night - they all come back to their 'hive/nest' when it starts to get dark/cold, and then they wait until it get's light and/or warm enough to fly out again.

So, in my opinion, you could wait until midday when the majority will be out foraging and then screen them off. However, all this will do is cause panic and upset. You will be faced with a lot of angry bees buzzing around the net for a couple of days and there will still be lots inside wanting to get out. If you can live with this, then it would work as the bees inside will simply die and those outside will eventually go elsewhere.

This is not to be recommended!
Old Apr 14th 2014, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Could they be smoked out ??
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:33 am
I believe.

Originally Posted by snikpoh
He's talking 'rot'!

Bees don't fly at night - they all come back to their 'hive/nest' when it starts to get dark/cold, and then they wait until it get's light and/or warm enough to fly out again.

So, in my opinion, you could wait until midday when the majority will be out foraging and then screen them off. However, all this will do is cause panic and upset. You will be faced with a lot of angry bees buzzing around the net for a couple of days and there will still be lots inside wanting to get out. If you can live with this, then it would work as the bees inside will simply die and those outside will eventually go elsewhere.

This is not to be recommended!
Thanks, from what I have read that's what I thought.
Chances are as it was the police local that called him that he is the guy the town hall would send around. Why on earth would he tell us to do this
So how long are they active for ?
All year ?

Suzi
Old Apr 14th 2014, 7:43 am
I believe.

Originally Posted by rachelk
If your spanish is up to it, there's a forum for beekeepers here where you might get some advice http://salines.mforos.com/
Thanks for that, I find the language used on forums quite difficult to follow.

Suzi