Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! We are going to live in Spain....

HELP!!! We are going to live in Spain....

Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Danzo121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!!! We are going to live in Spain....

Hi
Can anyone help us please. We are going to live in Spain as from this August and hope to go to the lower Mijas area and need advice firstly on how to get our 14 year old Dauhghter into a State school e.g. what paperwork do we need to fill in and what documents do we need? are we able to sort this out form here in England before we go so that she can start school for the September term??? Lots of questions, hope someone knows the answers.
Look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
Oh I forgot to say. I am half Spanish and can speak the language quite fluently but very rusty grammer-wise, as Mum died when I was a youngster. Thank you.

Danzo & Leorarose

Last edited by Danzo121; Apr 1st 2007 at 9:37 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!! We are going to live in Spain....

Originally Posted by Danzo121
Hi
Can anyone help us please. We are going to live in Spain as from this August and hope to go to the lower Mijas area and need advice firstly on how to get our 14 year old Dauhghter into a State school e.g. what paperwork do we need to fill in and what documents do we need? are we able to sort this out form here in England before we go so that she can start school for the September term??? Lots of question, hope someone knows the answers.
Oh I forgot to say. I am half Spanish and can speak the language quite fluently but very rusty grammer-wise, as Mum died when I was a youngster. Thank you.

Danzo & Leorarose
Have a look in the top thread, no beer but loads of info like this HERE
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for that my friend.
Danzo & Leorarose
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that my friend.
Danzo & Leorarose
No problem, most things are covered in there ;-)
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:45 pm
I have a member

Keri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really nice

Not to be cynical, but isnt that the FIRST thing you should have thought of before actually deciding to move to Spain?

Im honestly not being nasty, its just that my dad took me out of Wales and high schol when I was 12 and it really disrupted my life more than you can imagine, to the point where I never settled at all.

Again, sorry if this is offensive, just telling it from my point of view
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Can anyone help us please. We are going to live in Spain as from this August and hope to go to the lower Mijas area and need advice firstly on how to get our 14 year old Dauhghter into a State school e.g. what paperwork do we need to fill in and what documents do we need? are we able to sort this out form here in England before we go so that she can start school for the September term??? Lots of questions, hope someone knows the answers.

Danzo & Leorarose
The schools are closed for approx 10 weeks in the summer so this is a factor to consider too.

Rosemary
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Hi,

Not to sound mean or anything...but..if your daughter is 14 then she will be starting her GCSE years now. Taking her to a different country at that age just seems selfish to me. Can she speak Spanish fluently?

Don't mean to offend, it just seems odd to me.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Hi Keri
I fully understand what you are saying, although I feel that our situation may be slightly different, as my Daughter Antonia has been bullied so much at her Canterbury School, because she has lovely dark hair and gets called names because she has hairy legs (Of course she shaves them) and they transform her beautiful Spanish name into an abusive insult. Besides that we have very strong connections and family in Spain and all of us have waited for years to make the move.
It is only very recently that we have had the clearance to actually move, after so many family obstacles, so I guess it is all a bit of a rush now to get down there for the Summer and we so value any help and support from our friends here on this formum, as regarding this subject above and work also, as I would like to operate a School of Colloquial English for the Spanish Tourist Industry workers, failing that I am a web developer and could maybe get into that field of work, however it may be neccessary to just find work anywhere until we get settled. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Danzo & Leorarose
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Gestoria is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Danzo 121,

In order to get your child into a Spanish school you will need to provide proof that you are living in the school catchment area. To this visit the local ayuntamiento and register as living in the area, this is called empadronamiento. Ask the ayuntamiento for a "Certificado de Empadronamiento" to take to the school.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Hello SoJohn
Thank you so much for your advice and were it that my wife and I were just looking to escape to the sun, without regarding our Daughter's welfare then yes it would be selfish indeed but it is Antonia who has pushed and pushed for us to go to live near her Nanny and at just 14 years old (Actually this April) has not only passed a Spanish GCSE paper under her Spanish Teacher's supervision but also an A Level paper, so her Spanish is quite advanced and as I am half Spanish myself, I have been able to assist her quite a lot, seeing I speak sufficiently fluent Spanish (My Mum was Spanish) and am improving all the time. But I do wish to thank you for your advice and welcome any further help, advice and assistance that you may have. God bless.

Danzo & Leorarose
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

HI,

Sure, I didn't mean to offend. From your initial post it did look bad though

Good luck with it.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

mrs teapot will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about the bullying. One of my children has been subject to that and all my husband wanted to do was grab the main perpetrator (though of course it spilled out amongst many) against a wall and throttle the bully. But, of course, he knew he couldn't do that.

Sounds like your daughter's spanish is enough to get by. Didn't someone on here, British, say their British daughter had been bullied by the Spanish, that's one of the reasons they came back to UK? Just shows any vulnerable or weak point, no matter where you are the world causes others to behave as Bullies. The Bullies are always insecure in the first place.

Grrrrrrr I HATE BULLIES!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Guardamar1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish you well Danzo, Leorarose & Antonia in your venture.

We are in our late 50's, live permanently in the UK but have had a home on the Costa Blanca almost two years now & I'm really nervous of relocating permanently to Spain. My husband is keen for us to leave the UK &, as he is retiring at 60 in March 2008, he wants us to move over after that. I feel very selfish & there's nothing keeping us here, just the feeling of "am I going to regret the decision ?" We have lots of new friends in the Guardamar area & mostly our ages. They say it's the best thing they did & I see they're relaxed & happy so why I feel this way is beating me up.

I realise we have many options seeing as we own both homes outright. Some say buy a small bolthole in the UK, downsize from the large home we currently have. Live in Spain for 6 - 12 months & see how we feel. So much to consider. I thought I'd feel elated not panicked.

Sorry, it's getting well off topic.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Hi Mrs Teapot
I do appreciate your concerns dear and you are right, it really doesn't matter where you go in the world, it is certain one will find bullies and Antonia will have to understand that Spanish kids are no exception to the rule but we are praying that our long awaited move will be as smooth as possible and it is our responsibility as good parents to make Antonia's transition from English to Spanish as enjoyable as possible, but we both agree with you and we hate bullies too!!!

I'm looking forward to a plate of my Auntie's En-Blanco (Fish soup)

God bless
Danzo, Leorarose & Antonia
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Hi Gestoria
Thank you for that information my dear, it is so lovely and refreshing to finally find somewhere where we can gather information from real people who have experienced what we are going through, other than using the stab in the dark approach i.e. searching websites etc and of course from the friendly family fire-brigade, who seem be every ready to put out the fire of our desire and to find every negative reason why we should go to live in Spain, so again a heart felt thanks from two very grateful concerned parents.

God bless
Danzo & Leorarose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.