Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help with UK tv please !

Help with UK tv please !

Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice
Default Help with UK tv please !

Hi
My dish as moved and the guy has been out to reset it, but soon after h left I am with out the main tv channels again, itv,bbc etc I have true movies etc, what I want to know is, do I need a new 1.3 dish or is it not just set 100 % as it should be, I ask as he isn't used to doing uk TV but he did have the number like astra 2 28.e etc, any help would be appreciated, he has set the dish for us before without problems, we are so close to the sea that the winds can be really powerfull, thanks all.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 11:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with UK tv please !

Originally Posted by adra04778
Hi
My dish as moved and the guy has been out to reset it, but soon after h left I am with out the main tv channels again, itv,bbc etc I have true movies etc, what I want to know is, do I need a new 1.3 dish or is it not just set 100 % as it should be, I ask as he isn't used to doing uk TV but he did have the number like astra 2 28.e etc, any help would be appreciated, he has set the dish for us before without problems, we are so close to the sea that the winds can be really powerfull, thanks all.
We used to have the same problem with the winds. We had to have the dish bolted in very securely last year and its been OK since.

How big is your dish now, and which area are you / what do you use for the progs, SKY? We have to have a 1.8 dish here
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Hi

Its a 1.3 dish and has been ok for the last 5 or 6 years, but we are on top of the sea, lst year the pole actually snapped with the winds and we had to have it welded, I am just not sure if it is actually 100% on signal but I am sure the dish is a bit bent, it takes some real hammer
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:12 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

You do not say where you are, (from another post else where Andalucia by chance?) which is an issue, as in some areas of Spain a 1.3m dish is operating on the very limits of reception. So it will need to be aligned up very well. Just beacause he has "astra 2 28" number on his meter, does not mean it is being aligned correctly, as ideally you need to chech a range of different frequencies to align the dish correctly.

As you say perhaps the dish was damaged and bent when the pole support snapped, which will not help reception wise? Sometimes a new LNB may help (see this thread that you commented on a few months ago, http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698701 - did you get the Ultra black LNB?)

The signal test screen measures just one out of the 90plus frequencies. It measures frequency 11778, whos strength varies during the day, and is weakest at 5pm. So depending on location and time of day, that can still show not locked, but other channels can still kick in.

Last edited by The Guy; Mar 17th 2011 at 7:48 am.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 8:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Clearly NOT 'The Guy' that we all know
Old Mar 17th 2011, 8:53 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Clearly NOT 'The Guy' that we all know
Well spotted! Clearly a different fella...
Old Mar 17th 2011, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Thanks a lot for the reply, I didn't buy the lnb as I was wanting it has a spare
to take back to Spain with me, and my friend bought me one there, so I do have a spare to change over to see if that would help, but not the black one. The guy did have a lot of writing on a piece of paper that he brought he said he had got it off the net and he needed them to tune in, also he said there is astra2 ABCD, that are all uk, is that correct, maybe he has done that wrong, also we do have a 1.3 dish, when the guy was doing the signal it was buzzingthat load that I could hear it downstairs in doors, if you have any other info I could give him it would help, or do you think I should try changing over the LNB ? we don't have any english sky fitters near here, well maybe half an hour or so away I believe, I used the local spanish man to fit it, would the tv still show the true movues etc if the big dish need changing over ? Sorry for the long post !
PS do you know if insultation tape is the same as self amalgamating tape ? Thanks

UPDATE: I have now changed the quad lnb for a humax quad LNB the only change is that the bbc1 hd is now working as well, so is it the dish that is bent or do I need to get someone else to see if they can tune it in ? No wonder sky fitters here can charge the earth, we are knackered without them.
Forgot to say we are in Adra Almeria.

Last edited by adra04778; Mar 17th 2011 at 10:13 am.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Satellite is satellite UK or Spanish, if this guy needs bits of paper he copied from the internet to do his job he sounds a cowboy, anyway if you have paid him and it's still not working shouldn't he come back?
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:53 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

And worrying if he is looking for Astra 2c...that moved away from UK TV a few years ago!!!
UK TV is Astra 2a, 2b ,2d, and Eurobird 1.
If he is using a basic "beeper" then that will NOT align the dish perfectly.
True Movies should be nice and easy to receive, but it may requrie the LNB skew (ie rotation angle) to be spot on.
Insullation tape and selfamalgamiting tape are not the same. The latter is what I call "Spocktape" as it is "vulcanised rubber" (ho ho!) and is watrertight and better than basic "plasticy" insulatin tape.

Half an hour or so away is nothing...see if your spanish man can do anything since it still is not woirking yet you have paid him, if not look for someone more familiar with UK TV systems and who does not use a basic beeper unit.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:44 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

I think a Moderator should edit the OP's posts to read the man so as to avoid any confusion with the member Guy who always gives very valuable info & has an equally good reputation from his clients.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:59 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
I think a Moderator should edit the OP's posts to read the man so as to avoid any confusion with the member Guy who always gives very valuable info & has an equally good reputation from his clients.
I think anyone who reads through the thread should have worked that out by now
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a number for satellite people in Almerimar if you want to message me for it not used him but heard good reports
Old Mar 17th 2011, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies, the man doesn't have a basic beep machine, he has a machine with a TV on it and he had to goggle the freq as hes not English, I was asking if you think it could be the dish that wants changing, it is not a problem to ask him to come back, its just that I wanted to see what may help, hes never worked with a big dish before, as the spanish TV only has a small dish as does sky in the uk, someone has given me a number for a person in Almerimar, but said they would only use him as a last resort as he charges 50 pounds call out and 60 pounds to realign the dish, they thought that 110 pounds was expensive for 5 mins work, I personally don't know english rates, I would like to add that if I have given the impression that Juan is a cowboy then I am sorry for that, he has been doing satellite a long time, just never worked on UK tv.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I was only going by others people, but hey ho if he has charged someone that much, then ruddy eck, I do know he charged friends around here nowt like that, we have used a different bloke from Castell area, but his call out was same as the Almerimar one.

Best of luck, was just trying to help
Old Mar 17th 2011, 8:34 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Reset your Sky Box..go to services .. click 4 click 4 add channels 11.954 then ,,H,,then 27 then2/3 then find channels and store channels..or 11.973...V....27...2/3..find channels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.