Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help with selecting area please

Help with selecting area please

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

tulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to all
Default Help with selecting area please

Hi, I'm going to live in Southern Spain from early May - Costa del Sol region - and would like advice on a good place to settle. I have school age children so a decent school as well as a nice area would be important. Have rented an apartment for one month as a base to explore from but would be very grateful for any pointers please. Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:16 am
Just Joined

donnam is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help with selecting area please

Originally Posted by tulip1303
Hi, I'm going to live in Southern Spain from early May - Costa del Sol region - and would like advice on a good place to settle. I have school age children so a decent school as well as a nice area would be important. Have rented an apartment for one month as a base to explore from but would be very grateful for any pointers please. Thanks.
hi, just wanted to wish you and your family luck!!! can't give any advice on area i am afraid as i am in the warly stages myself of moving to southern spain, but i am looking at the costa blanca area. What job are you doing when you arrive? Donna
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

tulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to alltulip1303 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by donnam
hi, just wanted to wish you and your family luck!!! can't give any advice on area i am afraid as i am in the warly stages myself of moving to southern spain, but i am looking at the costa blanca area. What job are you doing when you arrive? Donna
Nothing finalised yet, but hope to get something sorted when I'm there - possibly journalistic as have written articles for years and local BBC reporting.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:38 am
Just Joined

donnam is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tulip1303
Nothing finalised yet, but hope to get something sorted when I'm there - possibly journalistic as have written articles for years and local BBC reporting.
well good luck in whatever you do, Donna x
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

That's very kind - best of luck to you too!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:54 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I think in your first month of being here. You should end up answering that question for yourself. I cant help with schools and stuff as have no idea about that. I too rented just for a month to start with then had a few runs up and down the coast. Spoke to a lot of people, found a job and I just ended up settling nearly an hours drive away from where I had originally rented. I had never even heard of Estepona when I had arrived.
I would say most places west of Marbella are lovely, Nice and Spanish but not too close to all the cheap package holidays - and the brits that come with it!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks - that makes me feel better about my lack of research before moving!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:09 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah best way to get to know a place is to come here. Make sure youve got some wheels and go explore it. Chat to people. Get a feeling of it. It takes time. Im still diong it and its been almost a year. Main thing is try not commiting to anything until your sure. Ie just do short term rents until you know youre in a suitable area. Just take it one day at a time. For the first couple of months you'll be very lost in a strange new world. But soon it'll start coming clear. What helped for me was starting a job and I was around people who had been here longer than me.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

keljo is an unknown quantity at this point

La Cala de Mijas in Mijas Costa is a lovely place to live with good state schools and an ex-pat community (good if you don't speak Spanish). Not too expensive either
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keljo
La Cala de Mijas in Mijas Costa is a lovely place to live with good state schools and an ex-pat community (good if you don't speak Spanish). Not too expensive either
Thank you for that, as it will give me a starting point, and of course I need to be sure the children are happy.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:43 am
In Estepona

Originally Posted by keljo
Yeah La Cala seems to be Brit Zone central. Which funnily enough I found a bit.. urgh!! after living in Estepona where it is mainly Spanish. I dunno, theres just something so fake about the place. But thats just my personal opinion. It is nice though.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

I live near La Cala is nice enough play golf there some weeks. I'm up the road in Riviera what is a nice safe place going all the way up to the mountains and plenty of British and other nationalities so you would settle easy and get to know what is what. Global FM is only 5 minutes away so maybe a chance to work for them in some capacity. All up the coast from Malaga to Marbella is sort of the same so loads of chance to explore.

There are a number of papers along the3 coast aimed at the British market as well i can think of four of the top of my head.

Good luck

John
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future

Try Alhaurin el Grande. Lovely village/town? with good mix of population, good schools etc. 35 minutes from sea, airport and mountains.
Whereabouts are you renting and for example a brand new 3 bed apartment with large terraces would cost you around €135,000.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by john1979
I live near La Cala is nice enough play golf there some weeks. I'm up the road in Riviera what is a nice safe place going all the way up to the mountains and plenty of British and other nationalities so you would settle easy and get to know what is what. Global FM is only 5 minutes away so maybe a chance to work for them in some capacity. All up the coast from Malaga to Marbella is sort of the same so loads of chance to explore.

There are a number of papers along the3 coast aimed at the British market as well i can think of four of the top of my head.

Good luck

John
That's really helpful John, thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keddyboy
Try Alhaurin el Grande. Lovely village/town? with good mix of population, good schools etc. 35 minutes from sea, airport and mountains.
Whereabouts are you renting and for example a brand new 3 bed apartment with large terraces would cost you around €135,000.
Haven't heard of Alhaurin el Grande, but it may be worth a visit. Inintially, I am spending a month in a colleague's apartment in Fuengirola which will hopefully will be as good a base from which to explore as any. Thanks for replying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.