Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

help ? re-locating to Lanzarote

help ? re-locating to Lanzarote

Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

kevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nice
Default help ? re-locating to Lanzarote

Could you please give me any web-sites or books that you would reccomend about re-locating to Spain.
E.G. self employment ,business licenses ,Tax ,medical Insurance etc as we want to do our homework assignment first before we go .
Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help ? re-locating to Lanzarote

Originally Posted by kevd
Could you please give me any web-sites or books that you would reccomend about re-locating to Spain.
E.G. self employment ,business licenses ,Tax ,medical Insurance etc as we want to do our homework assignment first before we go .
Thanks
This website, put your questions in the search bar, they have all been covered before.
The Islands will be the same rules as mainland Spain, also look in the free beer thread at the top of the page.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

kevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nicekevd is just really nice

thanks JDR.
I am still finding my way round.
Kevin
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevd
I am still finding my way round.
Kevin
Theres a few that have been on here for years but are still lost
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:40 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Theres a few that have been on here for years but are still lost
So have you moved over here now then KevD? Or are the plans still in motion at the moment?

I moved to Lanzarote almost 2 years ago - and absolutely love it here. We've just bought our first home here, after renting for a while, and are moving into it this weekend. So we currently have the joy of being surrounded by boxes.

I do have a non-commercial blog with info about making the move, and our personal experiences. I won't post the link in case it breaches a rule somewhere... but if you want the link, then drop me a PM or catch me on one of the Lanzarote forums. I think I've seen your username about

Good luck!

Elle xx

PS: It's a scorcher in Playa Blanca today... with a lovely breeze to stop it being TOO much.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle1971
So have you moved over here now then KevD? Or are the plans still in motion at the moment?

I moved to Lanzarote almost 2 years ago - and absolutely love it here. We've just bought our first home here, after renting for a while, and are moving into it this weekend. So we currently have the joy of being surrounded by boxes.

I do have a non-commercial blog with info about making the move, and our personal experiences. I won't post the link in case it breaches a rule somewhere... but if you want the link, then drop me a PM or catch me on one of the Lanzarote forums. I think I've seen your username about

Good luck!

Elle xx

PS: It's a scorcher in Playa Blanca today... with a lovely breeze to stop it being TOO much.
Why don`t you put your blog link in your signature ?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 4:56 pm
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Why don`t you put your blog link in your signature ?
I might just do that jdr. Thanks hon. xx
Old Aug 20th 2008, 11:24 am
Just Joined

MikeF47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elle1971

Good luck!

Elle xx

Hi Elle
Saw your notes on this site about moving to Lanzarote. We are considering retiring there and am looking for peoples thoughts on the island.
Are there any web sites that can provide information on comparison cost of living etc. Specifically what the following costs are:-
Council tax or equivalent
Water rates
Tax’s etc

We will be visiting the island again soon to find out more but would like to get ahead of the game.

Hope you don't mind me contacting you. I have quoted my web site and this has my direct e-mail.
Regards
Mike
Old Aug 20th 2008, 5:35 pm
No es moco de pavo

Hi there MikeF47. No if course I don't mind the contact. If we can help just a little, then it's worth it.

Right - price comparisons... It really does depend on what size/type/location of property you have... but I'll give it a go for you.

Council tax - you'll possibly have a fee that you pay monthly to your "Community". Dependant on how long your area has been built will tell you whether you have one to pay or not. For example, we've just moved... and have no community to pay as yet. It's coming soon - but we still don't expect it to be too much as we don't have much in the way of communal areas that need maintenance.

Water rates. It depends on whether you are on the mains... or whether you have an aljibe (water tank)... We were quoted around €35 per month for water on the mains... or about €25 - 30 to get an aljibe filled. Again, because we are on a new complex... our builders are paying for our water and electric.

Tax - If you are retired, then you won't need to be registered as employed or self-employed... so won't need to pay tax then. Make sure you've got decent health insurance though. Do also do a search in this forum about national health care entitlements for you as a retired person. I only know what I'm entitled to as someone paying into the system. I would hate to give you duff advice.

Cost of living - change the pound sign for a euro sign and you'll be in the right ballpark. The day to day cost of living is between 25% and 35% lower here (I'm in Playa Blanca, Lanzarote) but of course the wages are much lower. I'm just glad we have our own business - I don't think we'd be able to afford to stay otherwise Also, try not to fall into the trap of being out and about in bars and restaurants ALL the time. So many do, and the money doesn't go as far. We spend our time with a couple of bottles of vino on the terrace... or we rotate BBQs with our circle of friends. That way a meal out is still a treat instead of getting bored quickly with the same old faces and menus.

Mike - feel free to email me direct if there are questions that you would rather not put on an open forum (I had plenty of those when we came over). I guess I can send you a private message via your profile - so I'll try to do that in a moment or two.

Good luck - and do let us know how you get on. We'll see you for a glass or two of chilled white at Marina Rubicon!

Elle xx