Help needed please - Spain v Gib 'Will' and other paperwork

Help needed please - Spain v Gib 'Will' and other paperwork

Old May 15th 2013, 9:41 am
Just Joined

MarbsandCarbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed please - Spain v Gib 'Will' and other paperwork

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me...

I have lived with my OH for 5 years...we are now planning on starting a family...Now when there were no dependants involved it is not something that I've thought about but now I've got thinking...

The house we live in belongs to my OH. We live in Spain. The house has a life insurance attached to it and the names on that paperwork are of his children...
He is from Gib and works in Gib...
I also run my business from our home..
We're not married..

How do we secure my future if something happens to my OH? At the moment I would lose my home and my business as his children are greedy buggers...again not a problem on my own I would handle it but with a child we want to figure something out...

Should he write a Will? If so where? in Spain or in Gib? Or should the life insurance paperwork be changed?

ps. his kids will be very well looked after from his pension etc....this is all about our future child/ren.....and the house/our home...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old May 15th 2013, 9:52 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed please - Spain v Gib 'Will' and other paperwork

Without wishing to sound glib, the first thing I would do is to get married.

Things are so much easier when people are married - especially if they intend starting a family.

Regarding the wills, I think you need to chat to a professional.

are you named on the escritura? Maybe that's something else you should look at if you are not.
Old May 15th 2013, 10:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarbsandCarbs
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me...

I have lived with my OH for 5 years...we are now planning on starting a family...Now when there were no dependants involved it is not something that I've thought about but now I've got thinking...

The house we live in belongs to my OH. We live in Spain. The house has a life insurance attached to it and the names on that paperwork are of his children...
He is from Gib and works in Gib...
I also run my business from our home..
We're not married..

How do we secure my future if something happens to my OH? At the moment I would lose my home and my business as his children are greedy buggers...again not a problem on my own I would handle it but with a child we want to figure something out...

Should he write a Will? If so where? in Spain or in Gib? Or should the life insurance paperwork be changed?

ps. his kids will be very well looked after from his pension etc....this is all about our future child/ren.....and the house/our home...

Any ideas?

Thanks
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 15th 2013, 10:37 am
Just Joined

MarbsandCarbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rosemary

Thanks Snikpoh

Hmm the marriage thing..its something we've spoken about but we want a proper wedding and at the moment we just don't have the cash and it all seems a little unromantic to get married just for the paperwork....so we're hoping to find a work-around...

My name isn't on the escritura and we wouldn't be able to afford the taxes to add my name...

Yes maybe I'll just visit a solicitor....

But if anyone has any other info on the subject I'd love to hear it! Thanks
Old May 15th 2013, 11:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely need to talk to a solicitor as there are others involved. Remember that the inheritance laws are quite complicated and that you will have to pay tax on your inheritance. I agree with you regarding getting married for a piece of paper but maybe you could think about having a civil wedding for the paper and a full and proper wedding when you can afford it for the romantic side.

Rosemary