Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help with Movistar needed

Help with Movistar needed

Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Weyiman is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Help with Movistar needed

Two years ago I took out three contracts with movistar, one for my lap top, 30 euros a month and two phones.

Unfortunatley, movistar has a very weak to none existant signal where I live (fuerteventura) and the lap top sim never hhad a strong enough signal to connect the lap top to the internet but I was tied in to a 18 month contract, which I honoured. The telephones hardly ever get a signal either. Since the 18 months were up I have tried to cancell the contract through the help line and through the movistar shop. But each month regular as clockwork they still take out the money. After six months and 180 euros poorer, I went to the bank and cancelled the direct debit.

I phone the 1485 number repeatedly and its is always answerred by a fax machine, I called the 1486 and today was eventually patched through. I tried to explain to the operator what happed, but he just said he could do nothing till this months bill was paid, I told him that they had taken over 180 euros after the line was initially cancelled by me, but he just kept repeating the same sentence over and over. So I asked to be put through to the head office, he said he could not, I asked for the address, he said look on the web site. I explained that I had and could not find it, he just said he was not authorised to give me the address or telephone number, but could give me a fax number, which you guessed it, doesnt exist.:curse:

I have been given the run around for months. I have never had a bill untill I cancelled the direct debit that is, the bill does not contain any contact address. Any ideas, I really need this sorted, I am not a rich person, and I wouuld rather have this cash in my pocket than thiers. Why are the contact details cloaked with such secrecy? I just want to cancel all three lines now and have nothing more to do with them

Last edited by Weyiman; Jun 11th 2007 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help with Movistar needed

Best to do it in writing, keep a copy of all correspondence and send everything via recorded delivery. You may get your money back eventually...but it won't be fast.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

BriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant future

Can't help you but I would have thought youve taken the right step.
They are bound to come chasing you for the nexts months charges and therefore you should get some addresses and phone numbers.
Sounds like you will have to pay the next months rental because you have to give a months notice?
At least you have put the wheels in motion. If you did as the operator suggested and paid another month they may well have said the same thing again next time.
The usual advice in the UK would be not to cancel the DD, but i dont see what else you could have done.
Good luck
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:36 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weyiman
Two years ago I took out three contracts with movistar, one for my lap top, 30 euros a month and two phones.

Unfortunatley, movistar has a very weak to none existant signal where I live (fuerteventura) and the lap top sim never hhad a strong enough signal to connect the lap top to the internet but I was tied in to a 18 month contract, which I honoured. The telephones hardly ever get a signal either. Since the 18 months were up I have tried to cancell the contract through the help line and through the movistar shop. But each month regular as clockwork they still take out the money. After six months and 180 euros poorer, I went to the bank and cancelled the direct debit.

I phone the 1485 number repeatedly and its is always answerred by a fax machine, I called the 1486 and today was eventually patched through. I tried to explain to the operator what happed, but he just said he could do nothing till this months bill was paid, I told him that they had taken over 180 euros after the line was initially cancelled by me, but he just kept repeating the same sentence over and over. So I asked to be put through to the head office, he said he could not, I asked for the address, he said look on the web site. I explained that I had and could not find it, he just said he was not authorised to give me the address or telephone number, but could give me a fax number, which you guessed it, doesnt exist.:curse:

I have been given the run around for months. I have never had a bill untill I cancelled the direct debit that is, the bill does not contain any contact address. Any ideas, I really need this sorted, I am not a rich person, and I wouuld rather have this cash in my pocket than thiers. Why are the contact details cloaked with such secrecy? I just want to cancel all three lines now and have nothing more to do with them
One thing you can guarantee from Telefonica is a crap service. It is what they are famous for.

Did you try turning your bill 90 degrees to the right? Sounds stupid but most companies type their address in small print down the left hand margin. The main telefonica bills are done this way so I guess Telefonica Movistar will be the same.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:40 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

I just found their address on their website:
Telefónica Móviles España S.A.
Plaza de la Independencia nº 6,
28001 Madrid

It was contained on the page for making a complaint!! See here: http://www.atencionenlinea.movistar....lamaciones.htm
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

Weyiman

You should be able to do this with a phone call, send me a PM if you are still having problems with them.

In my opinion Telefonica are one of the biggest con artists the government allows to operate in Spain.

Last edited by spaino; Jun 11th 2007 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

keljo is an unknown quantity at this point

i have just canceled a contract with movistar and they told me i had to do it in writing or if i wanted i could keep the number and change to pay as you go. So that is what i did and i just didn't top up the phone.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by keithwalters
One thing you can guarantee from Telefonica is a crap service. It is what they are famous for.

Did you try turning your bill 90 degrees to the right? Sounds stupid but most companies type their address in small print down the left hand margin. The main telefonica bills are done this way so I guess Telefonica Movistar will be the same.

Hay, thanks for that tip. I have only recieved two bills in the two years I have been with them, one has it on the other hasn't. It actually has the address of the Las Palmas office so I think this will be the one to write to.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I don't rate telefonica much, it took two and a half years to get a house phone and then its only a radio phone, but thankfully I have an internet phone now that I use (NOT TELEFONICA WHICH IS DEATHLY SLOW HERE).

Cheers
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by keithwalters
I just found their address on their website:
Telefónica Móviles España S.A.
Plaza de la Independencia nº 6,
28001 Madrid

It was contained on the page for making a complaint!! See here: http://www.atencionenlinea.movistar....lamaciones.htm

Thanks keith I have followed your link and sent a message. You know the telephone advisor give me a different link, but it just didn't work, perhaps I was to fault or my connection. Never mind its done now. fingers crossed eh!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

Yes, radio phones are very slow to get put in. I think it might be because of maybe what it costs Telefonica to install them in relation to land lines and they can connect several land lines for every radio phone, so getting several times more revenue relatively.

Anyway, any experiance I have of these are that they are a waste of time in many cases and certainly generally not up to an internet connection.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Help with Movistar needed

Have used the complaints link on the telefonica web site, Send letters to both Las Palmas and Madrid. Still waiting for a reply. In the meantime they have managed to take yet another payment from the bank!

Will let you know how I get on
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

Have you tried going into a shop that sells movistar contracts/phones etc they have direct web access to movistar and may be able to help. But take all your details with you ie bank padron passport etc. You really have to prove you are, who you say you are, to cancel something here. Its something to do with vindictive people canceling phone lines of their enemys!!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:46 am
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by Weyiman
Have used the complaints link on the telefonica web site, Send letters to both Las Palmas and Madrid. Still waiting for a reply. In the meantime they have managed to take yet another payment from the bank!

Will let you know how I get on
In the meantime, whilst you are trying to sort Telefonica out, you could go to your bank and tell them that there has been unauthorised activity on your bank account.....make sure that you tell them that you have informed Telefonica in writing of the cancellation of the contract.

Do you have the little "recibo" that your bank sends you every time someone takes money from your account? If not, you can probably print it with online banking. Look at the date on the recibo - you have approx one month to take this recibo back to the bank and they will refund you the money no questions asked. If the date has expired this won´t work.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by searcher48
Have you tried going into a shop that sells movistar contracts/phones etc they have direct web access to movistar and may be able to help. But take all your details with you ie bank padron passport etc. You really have to prove you are, who you say you are, to cancel something here. Its something to do with vindictive people canceling phone lines of their enemys!!

Yeh done that several times, they have cancelled it at the shop three times now, but still the money is taken. Just have to wait and see if I get a reply to my letters now. Cheers anyway
Old Jul 6th 2007, 11:10 am
Just Joined

rollsroyce is an unknown quantity at this point

GRRRRR!!! At last the wonderfull staff at movistar have (I think sorted this one) After 5 wonderful days and 23 call!! In perfect Spanish and English my phone should be sorted , I have been on contract paying 90 euros a month to obtain a cheap rate. so thought works slow will change to pay as u go Hmm easy in the UK and even the far East. So of I go Hello, My ciff ok. My niff ok .O sorry sir are system is down .Next My daughter rings in Spanish Well miss silly to do this as you have points and u can have a new phone YIPPI.. lets go get then cancel .No problem new phone ..Ring again hello got my new phone can i go onto pay as u go .Well if u do that now you will be fined cos you broke contract as u have a new phone. Sob Ok i will pay the fine cheaper than 90 euros plus calls a month . Sorry person who does that section only speaks Spanish .the person you need the chap u speaks English he only works here from 8am till 3pm .No problem my daughter is here she will speak Spanish ,well you have to speak with them! But I cant Speak Spanish GRRRR. I want to kill you !!! Dad plse calm down we will call tomorrow .. OK Up 7am I will get them at 8am !! .Sorry Sir today he is in at 9am . 9am put you through Sir ,Male voice in English Great ! O my good man please help sort my problem OK sir can I have your niff and ciff .Hmm sir this is not on our system .number please 6393 etc your company name is welco?? NO that was my company 2 years ago that was sold well sir da de dar ..Ok that was sorted (why are they taking money from my new companies account if they do not have details ? HMMM. Whats your problem Sir ...GRRR .. Well i wnt pay as you go PLEASE pretty please please my lord of movistar dnt make me get up at seven tomorrow. Well there is a fine OK NO PROBLEM PLEASE I WANT PAY AS YOU Go PLEASE!!! One moment sir, PLEASE do not cut me off like as happened so many times with (Telephonica another story) A voice may i ask why you wish to do this switch to payas u go (WELL YOU ARE SCREWING ME 4 90 EUROES A MONTH)....... well i feel as if i should move as i am not using my phone much and vodaphone have offered me the same service for 15 euros a month.. O one moment sir !! pause for 2 seconds well sir we can match this same service free of charge YOU MEAN NILL PER MONTH!!!!??? yes sir 0000 per month you still pay the same on your calls 11cents a min but no monthly charge..can i see that in writing please reply sorry no OK i will take up the offer for one month .. Well folks it took ages but if you are on a contract with movistar get onto this man on tel num 109 ask for English well shout English ask for Migal bloque and say I have had an excellent offer from VODOPHONE and wish to stop my contract and maybe u to can srew movistar HMM Well hope this long reply has some kick to any problems you may have ..If not go to fonicatel and ask if you can have a deal with Vodophone and pay the 20 euro fine with Movistar .Ps I have asked Caja Murcia bank to let me know if Movistars bill for the month is over 40euros. (Not sure if again you know this but if a wrong amount is taken from your account you have upto 15 days to advise the bank they will refund monies back to your Account ..Happy talking .Rolls..