Reload this Page >

Help with moving to Benidorm

Help with moving to Benidorm

Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:37 pm
Banned

Trace40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with moving to Benidorm

Hi,
We are seriously thinking of selling up and moving to Benidorm. We would like to buy a cafe/bar that we can run as a family. Theres me, hubby and 3 children who are all of working age.

We are over in Benidorm in September for a holiday and are going to be doing some research whilst over there. Hopefully going to have a look at some bars that are for sale etc..

It's not something we have any knowledge of and theres so many questions we need help with.

What do we need to do to be able to live and work there legally?

How do we pay for health insurance?

How do we obtain health & safety certificates so we can serve food?

Any information on how we go about things really as we're only just starting to seriously think about doing this. We would be selling our family home over here which would give us enough money to buy a business and also give us enough money to last a couple of years until we could build a business up.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:28 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with moving to Benidorm

Well you will certainly find plenty for sale......hundreds have closed over the past year most with the owners handing back the keys and walking away because they can't make a living. Good luck to you but please do plenty of research and don't jump in with both feet until you have checked EVERYTHING. When you come over go into Neptunes bar in the Rincon de Loix area and speak to the owners Karen and Demis, they are from my home town and are really nice and will answer your questions.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Well you will certainly find plenty for sale......hundreds have closed over the past year most with the owners handing back the keys and walking away because they can't make a living. Good luck to you but please do plenty of research and don't jump in with both feet until you have checked EVERYTHING. When you come over go into Neptunes bar in the Rincon de Loix area and speak to the owners Karen and Demis, they are from my home town and are really nice and will answer your questions.
Have a read HERE, there are about another 4 threads from them, including the one where they were trying to sell the bar after blowing about 60,000 €`s or more.
Beware they were told and didn`t listen, the only people that make money out of bars is the people that sell the same leases every couple of months.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Please really think seriously about this - there are loads closing and most bars are struggling. The only people making any money are the commercial agents that sell the same bars every six months. Furthermore having been looking to purchase ourselves there is only one commercial agent in Benidorm that I would even consider going to. You just wouldn´t believe the lies that we were told. I now work for an English speaking lawyers nearby and come across the commercial agents and the lies that are told to clients are unbelievable and once they find out they have gone to a lawyer to have the contract etc checked out they are vicious - they will and do look you straight in the face and tell you that "black is white" and that your lawyer is wrong. Why, it really doesn't matter to us - we get paid either way but God help you if you want to check that it has an opening licence and all the necessary bits of paper are in order
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trace40
Hi,
We are seriously thinking of selling up and moving to Benidorm. We would like to buy a cafe/bar that we can run as a family. Theres me, hubby and 3 children who are all of working age.

We are over in Benidorm in September for a holiday and are going to be doing some research whilst over there. Hopefully going to have a look at some bars that are for sale etc..

It's not something we have any knowledge of and theres so many questions we need help with.

What do we need to do to be able to live and work there legally?

How do we pay for health insurance?

How do we obtain health & safety certificates so we can serve food?

Any information on how we go about things really as we're only just starting to seriously think about doing this. We would be selling our family home over here which would give us enough money to buy a business and also give us enough money to last a couple of years until we could build a business up.

Thanks in advance
echo what has already been said............this is really not the greatest time to be going to Spain and opening a bar

a Spanish friend of ours is really struggling with his bar and has been for months

think long and hard, and read through previous posts on here, there is plenty of advice from those who have "been there and done that" and not always with success
Old Jun 5th 2009, 8:23 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's all been said, especially on the previous threads.

I know the commercial scene in Benidorm rather well, and I'm sorry to have to tell the OP that it is virtually impossible for ordinary people to run a successful bar in Benidorm. Read the other threads, here and elsewhere, there are plenty of them.

Don't throw your money away. If your dream doesn't go away, and I suspect it won't, come over for six months, rent somewhere, there are thousands of cheap apartments available, and see for yourself. Offer to work in several bars, for nothing, to find out all you need to know.

Sorry to be negative, but these things need to be said.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

"It's not something we have any knowledge of "
OK...that can be rectified by reading through all the relevant posts here.
But....
"Hopefully going to have a look at some bars that are for sale"
That just sounds like the beginning of the end. I would kindly suggest that you don't go within earshot of any bar for sale (you'll be easy pickings!), but do the research first.
PS How's your Spanish?
Old Jun 5th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Don't do it now. Everyone is struggling, the only bars up for sale are the ones that aren't making enough money to survive, otherwise the owners would be keeping them. If you buy a bar at the present time you will be throwing your money away, if you have a few grand to spend and are determined to come over here then move here and rent for a few months, get to know the area, have a look for work, and see how you feel 6 months down the line.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

babs54321 is an unknown quantity at this point

there are lots of things to look out for if you´re considering moving to benidorm to run a business. definitely one of the main things are the agents that sell businesses. They just want to make a quick buck on the sale and will tell you anything.
Everyone is saying not to buy here because its a bad time, but i have been here running my own business for 5 and a half years and am still doing well despite the recession.As long as you do your homework you´ll be ok! i´m never going to be a millionaire but i´m comfortable!
One of the main thing to look out for when buying a bar is that it has a proper license. Mine didn´t when i bought it and we were fed a story from the selling agent that "no one has one" and "not to worry"! We did eventually get our license but it took 4 years and a lot of money and effort, and i´ve hea that this year the councils are being even more strict about handing them out.
i do know a cafe/bar for sale that would be perfect for a family to run, its called "Roosters" and is on calle ibiza. Its very busy, well established and fully licensed. When you are here take a walk past and see if its what you are looking for. You never know!
One last piece of advice, dont rush into anything and bars for sale at a really cheap price are at that price for a reason-no trade.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babs54321
there are lots of things to look out for if you´re considering moving to benidorm to run a business. definitely one of the main things are the agents that sell businesses. They just want to make a quick buck on the sale and will tell you anything.
Everyone is saying not to buy here because its a bad time, but i have been here running my own business for 5 and a half years and am still doing well despite the recession.As long as you do your homework you´ll be ok! i´m never going to be a millionaire but i´m comfortable!
One of the main thing to look out for when buying a bar is that it has a proper license. Mine didn´t when i bought it and we were fed a story from the selling agent that "no one has one" and "not to worry"! We did eventually get our license but it took 4 years and a lot of money and effort, and i´ve hea that this year the councils are being even more strict about handing them out.
i do know a cafe/bar for sale that would be perfect for a family to run, its called "Roosters" and is on calle ibiza. Its very busy, well established and fully licensed. When you are here take a walk past and see if its what you are looking for. You never know!
One last piece of advice, dont rush into anything and bars for sale at a really cheap price are at that price for a reason-no trade.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
You must be one of the few then Yes Benidorm Council is clamping down on just about everything and changing the rules to suit to get more income. Licences, music licences, food licences are all being checked at the moment according to clients and believe me if you end up having to have projects etc done it gets expensive. Please please be very careful.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:00 am
Banned

After many hours spent discussing things and doing research we have decided to hang fire for now. We really dont want to sell our home which we own outright and step into the unknown and risk losing everything.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and for helping us to see sense
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

After many hours spent discussing things and doing research we have decided to hang fire for now. We really dont want to sell our home which we own outright and step into the unknown and risk losing everything.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and for helping us to see sense
And just as a tip ...... "many hours", you say
I spent over a year researching things

Research is everything
Old Jun 29th 2009, 8:58 am
Banned

Thanks Mitzyboy.............

I came here to ask for advice on a life changing move. Not something we took to lightly and wasnt just a spur of the moment decision.

Your reply above comes across as being very patronising........ I'm not a foolish child who hasnt thought things through and done research so really dont like being spoken to as if I am.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure it wasn't meant that way Trace.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mitzyboy.............

I came here to ask for advice on a life changing move. Not something we took to lightly and wasnt just a spur of the moment decision.

Your reply above comes across as being very patronising........ I'm not a foolish child who hasnt thought things through and done research so really dont like being spoken to as if I am.
Errr ... you came on here to get advice .... and thats the best piece of advice I can give you. You dont know me, but I've been on here a long time and being patronising isnt something I am known for

Take the advice in the spirit it was given ........ or dont
Your choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.