Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help - how can I get internet connection?

Help - how can I get internet connection?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default Help - how can I get internet connection?

Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllppppppppppppp!

I really need the internet for my new business, but have been told by both Jazztel and Telefonica that they have no ADSL coverage in my area!

Although Telfonica will give me a landline….

How can I get a reliable internet connection?

Thanks all
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:07 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - how can I get internet connection?

There are several wifi companies around that should be able to help. We had the same problem recently when we moved and we're now on a wifi thing and its great, so far very reliable and cheap too. Here are some of the names, bamboo, conecta4, mercury, acox..... those are the ones in our area (nr Málaga, Alhaurin de la Torre)

Jo xxx
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:03 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Heeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllppppppppppppp!

I really need the internet for my new business, but have been told by both Jazztel and Telefonica that they have no ADSL coverage in my area!

Although Telfonica will give me a landline….

How can I get a reliable internet connection?

Thanks all
Orange or Vodafone do it if you have a Telefonica line, check them out to see if they can get it where you are.
They will include the line and swop it from Telefonica for free, so you will only have one bill about half the cost of Telefonica`s adsl.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:12 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

We have friends in Andalucia who use a Vodafone dongle from their local Vodafone shop.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

We're in the El Hacho area of duquesa/sabinillas...if that makes a difference....
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

I see your location is Marbella but must be a way outside.
Is Iberbanda still going?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Orange or Vodafone do it if you have a Telefonica line, check them out to see if they can get it where you are.
They will include the line and swop it from Telefonica for free, so you will only have one bill about half the cost of Telefonica`s adsl.
What is the website name for orange? Do you mean that orange has its own line & we don't need to use telefonica's line?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Get a vodafone or movistar usb dongle, plug it into a suitable router and you have permanent 24h Internet access all round the house.
I pay 39€ plus IVA each month. Connection speed can be variable, but living up in the campo I'm just satisfied that I can get it.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
What is the website name for orange? Do you mean that orange has its own line & we don't need to use telefonica's line?
HERE you will need a Telefonica line as they have it by the short and curlies.
Orange will do an ADSL wifi package as on the site, where they transfer the Telefonica line to part of the ADSL package so you only get one bill and that is about 50% of Telefonicas cost.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
HERE you will need a Telefonica line as they have it by the short and curlies.
Orange will do an ADSL wifi package as on the site, where they transfer the Telefonica line to part of the ADSL package so you only get one bill and that is about 50% of Telefonicas cost.
Thanks jdr. The orange site is in Spanish. Do they have an English site & do they have staffs who speak English?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Thanks jdr. The orange site is in Spanish. Do they have an English site & do they have staffs who speak English?
In most of the shops the girls speak some English.
They will ask you for your landline number and then check if they can get ADSL to it, they reckon up to 20 but on Telefonica we only get 2.5.
(hasta 20 Mb /1Mb (24h))
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about the technical side of this and I don't know the area, but if Telefónica say the landline won't support ADSL, I would have thought it unlikely that anyone else could offer ADSL on that line.

Can someone explain to me how, please?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

If you go the Movistar dongle route you need to check that you are paying the tax too. I am not sure WHAT tax this is (1 Euro a month or some such) but until this was cleared our connection was awful. Now it is a magnificent 3 or 4 kilobits per second unless we go into town and access Wifi
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all but am still confused!

How can these companies offer adsl when telefonica and jazztel can't?

Should I get a landline first then look into orange etc?

Or should i just look into the dongle thingys?

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Emma Louise you seem to be in the same state of confusion as us, (we are both completely UN techy so have no choice but to believe everything we are told) so I will tell you our experience so far.
We are renting, and there is no landline in the house. We therefore were advised to get a Movistar dongle. There is no denying it does work after a fashion, but it can be several days between connections (we are in Galicia where there are MANY fewer people and perhaps many more mountains- certainly more rain which I suppose could be the reason). If we go into town, the connection improves and we can usually connect. In a Wifi cafe or town hall etc, connection is really good.
If you are as ignorant as I I would suggest you find someone nearby who has a dongle and see how they get on. It depends how necessary instant fast connection is for your business. I can generally afford the time to go into town but it is VERY frustrating.
Good luck - there will be some people on who are VERY knowledgeable. (My problem is that they talk WAY over my head)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.