Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help with Hedge, any keen gardeners here ?

Help with Hedge, any keen gardeners here ?

Old Apr 8th 2018, 2:38 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of
Default Help with Hedge, any keen gardeners here ?

Hi, we have a well established hedge of Viburnum tinus, Lucidum. It's a good 3m high, over the last couple of years it's started to die off in places, no visible pests, no obvious fungi, like root rot or canker. The local garden centre suggested it could be the well water, but then there's not much we can do about that. Any other ideas ?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 5:04 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with Hedge, any keen gardeners here ?

Can't help with Viburnum but we've lost most of our privet hedge. In total it must be nearly a kilometre long so you can imagine I'm none too pleased!
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

ned flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond reputened flanders has a reputation beyond repute

A kilometre long hedge. You must have felt very privet.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grebo
Hi, we have a well established hedge of Viburnum tinus, Lucidum. It's a good 3m high, over the last couple of years it's started to die off in places, no visible pests, no obvious fungi, like root rot or canker. The local garden centre suggested it could be the well water, but then there's not much we can do about that. Any other ideas ?
3m high sounds way over the top. I know it's easy to give advice when it's not one's own, but I'd give it a good hard pruning down to about a meter or less late spring (or after flowering). If you wish to keep the height for privacy however, then cut out all the dead stuff & burn it.
Not sure whether you can blame the well water unless there's herbicide run-off in it.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

discoman is an unknown quantity at this point

There is Honey Fungus (or its equivalent) in "my" part of Spain - Andalucia that is.....and that can be lethal for some hedging plants.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 9:26 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Thanks for the suggestions, Snikpoh that's terrible, I really don't want to loose it as it's a major barrier between us & the main road.
The well water is a bit on the salty side but other than that it's pretty good & as it has grown this big I doubt that is the reason. Yes will give it a good trim this year, but it's def drying off. Lost 4 plants & two replacements aren't doing to well. They bud up nicely then leaves curl up & die.
Will look up honey fungus thanks.