Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

HELP! GIB and spanish custome

HELP! GIB and spanish custome

Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

jsmith89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation HELP! GIB and spanish custome

Hello i have a quick question, yesterday i went to Gibraltar and came into spain with 250g of tobacco. I was stopped and logged and allowed to pass.

Today i went back to gib and passed with 250g of tobacco and the refused to let me pass and told me that i was allowed to pass through once per month. After speaking with the Spanish people where im living at the moment they seem to think i have been conned. I have signed a piece of paper that basically says i wantt o leave the tobacco products.

The customs told me the limit is 250g per month reguardless of the unlimited entry and exit rule. This doesnt seem right to me can anyone advise?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! GIB and spanish custome

Customs are correct.

Once you have been caught and put on their computer you have to wait a month before you can bring anything across again, unless you want to take the risk and hope not to be caught.

I believe other countries have similar rules for frequent travellers like aircrew etc.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

but what exactly have i been caught doing? i only had the correct premitted limit lol
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Think Fred is saying once was ok and logged but 2nd time in as many days is 1 too many.
would think customs see you as doing daily, as indeed you did

Last edited by pwwm; Jun 12th 2011 at 12:50 pm. Reason: added more
Old Jun 12th 2011, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

i understand all this, but it does say unlimigted entry and exit per day, and an allowence of 200 fags or 250g ot tobacco per visit. so why would i be refused the SPanish lady i know didnt nderstand at all and she lives in la linea lol
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsmith89
, but it does say unlimigted entry and exit per day, and an allowence of 200 fags or 250g ot tobacco per visit.
Where does it say this?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

used to be that once they log you coming through at Gib you should not pass again with tobacco or alcohol for 10 days.

This should answer your question...

http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=21652
Old Jun 12th 2011, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

WomBatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this clarify? - http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=21652
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

The General rule for this kind of thing in Europe, and especially the UK for instance, is "for your own consumption". So if you arrive at customs at Dover with 1000 fags and then are seen there a week later with another 1000, they arent going to accept its purely for your own consumption.

I'm guessing that Spanish customs are taking the same line, so if you are even taking 250 gms ... if you are doing it regularly then they will be suspicious.

To be honest the rules on borders for EU booze and tobacco have always befuddled me. This is the EU. We are all part of the same trading area (supposedly). If I want to buy my wine in France and bring it back here on a regular basis then I should be allowed to do so. If I want to take 800 fags back to the UK with me for my relations, then why not!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:16 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The General rule for this kind of thing in Europe, and especially the UK for instance, is "for your own consumption". So if you arrive at customs at Dover with 1000 fags and then are seen there a week later with another 1000, they arent going to accept its purely for your own consumption.

I'm guessing that Spanish customs are taking the same line, so if you are even taking 250 gms ... if you are doing it regularly then they will be suspicious.

To be honest the rules on borders for EU booze and tobacco have always befuddled me. This is the EU. We are all part of the same trading area (supposedly). If I want to buy my wine in France and bring it back here on a regular basis then I should be allowed to do so. If I want to take 800 fags back to the UK with me for my relations, then why not!
I agree, but isn't the logical extension to that argument, that we should have a common tax system?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I agree, but isn't the logical extension to that argument, that we should have a common tax system?

I guess so, but the original whole idea was free trade, even the EFTA countries joined in. Thats (suuposedly) borderless trade. But it's not, it's protective because certain countries are worried about losing taxable income. It just pushes it underground. I know of one person who takes van loads of cigarettes and booze back to the UK on a regular basis. In Dover there were people who made a living from it!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Mitzy I see your point but Gib is not part of the EU customs zone so different rules apply compared to moving within the EU proper.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:59 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes Mitzy I see your point but Gib is not part of the EU customs zone so different rules apply compared to moving within the EU proper.
Ahhh ... well thats another point for discussion, because it should be!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just Gib that is different. The Canary Islands and the Channel Islands also have different rules.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Do you fancy paying the same road fuel duty as UK ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.