Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Help and advice please on relocating to Malaga from UK!

Help and advice please on relocating to Malaga from UK!

Old Aug 19th 2014, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

CocoHoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help and advice please on relocating to Malaga from UK!

Hi We now feel the time is right to try a new life in Spain. We have wanted to do it for a long time. My husband Mike is now retired he is 67 I (Chris) am 65. We have 2 little dogs Coco and Honey they would be coming with us obviously!! Our grown up daughters will be left behind!!!! We have narrowed the location down to Malaga as Mike still does a bit of work in Southend Essex and the airport there has many flights from Malaga. We will be coming over to Torremolinos for a couple of weeks on the 7th September staying at Riu Bel Playa. In the first instance we thought of renting something for the first 6months - a year. Before we buy a property we will need to get a feel for the place ie where we would like to live and acclimatising etc. If there is any one on the forum who would like to meet up with us in Sept we would love to hear any good advice you could give us!!
Old Aug 20th 2014, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and advice please on relocating to Malaga from UK!

We have lived in Torremolinos for the last 6 years but we are moving on the 1st of September to the Taragona area. This has nothing to do with Torremolinos which we think has really only one negative side, Parking.
We live about 1km from the centre uphill unfortunately, and on many occasions we would have liked to go for a meal/drink in town but parking is impossible on the street all year round and the car parks are expensive. We go to Banalmadena, drinks are half the price of Torremolinos and parking is OK except in August.
There is a British club !!! It meets every wednesday at the Bailey at 11:00 am, lots of white hair though.
If you want detached properties I would suggest Arroyo de la miel, prices are a bit lower, let me know what you are after.
Cheers
M
Old Aug 21st 2014, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris

I lived in Benalmadena for 4 years and my husbands mum and brother are still there, we are not a little bit further along the coast in Riviera but visit Benalmadena to see the family. Having worked in the real estate business myself, in rentals I know the areas quite well and i would definitely suggest you take a rental for at least 6 months (11 months is the maximum) while you explore the areas.

From your hotel you can actually walk or cycle all the way to Benalmadena marina and beyond along the lovely promenade,depending on how fit you are of course as it is a few km's. You'll pass a nice area called The Carihuela where there are 2 rows of bars/shops and restaurants,one on the front line beach and the second row just behind, we have spent many days walking with our daughter and nephew here. The beaches in Torremolinos are lovely and you will come across lots more expats like yourselves.

Its a great place to retire and being the closest town to Malaga airport, ideal for when you need to commute back and forth.

P.s dogs are allowed on the beach but only out of season.

I wish you both luck!
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both very much for your info. All the information and help we can gather is most helpful. We are doing as much homework as we can on the internet!!! but there is nothing like first hand experience from the people in the know!! Thanks again and please keep the info coming!!
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of flats to rent, try and do it privately. If you don't work here agencies tend to make it expensive to move in. We are in the El Pinar area, It is shielded from the Airport noise although you can watch the planes coming in/out. Also there is usually a breeze here so it rarely gets uncomfortably hot although it did hit 38 and the night temp was 31 the other day. Normally around 30 with nights at 22-25C. House prices are rising now albeit slowly but foreign interest is picking up. We sold to a Swedish couple.
We will be back around the 9th or 10th so maybe we could meet up.
Good luck
M
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anna Collins1
Hi Chris

Having worked in the real estate business myself, in rentals I know the areas quite well and i would definitely suggest you take a rental for at least 6 months (11 months is the maximum) while you explore the areas.
Sorry Anna Collins, I know that every time you post I take issue with what you say, but unfortunately that is the way it is

11 months is most definitely not the maximum rental contract you can get. The normal rental contract is 1 year with an automatic option of renewal up to 5 years.

There are lots of so called estate agents in the area who try and fobb you off with an 11 month contract which isnt worth the paper it is written on (the contract states that you must only use the property as a second property for holidays, but if you don't speak Spanish then you probably won't know that).

Under Spanish law as a tenant you have many more rights than this.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Maybe1day - I'll pm you!

Last edited by CocoHoney; Aug 22nd 2014 at 11:39 am. Reason: missed name of person message is for!
Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anna Collins1
Hi Chris

I lived in Benalmadena for 4 years and my husbands mum and brother are still there, we are not a little bit further along the coast in Riviera but visit Benalmadena to see the family. Having worked in the real estate business myself, in rentals I know the areas quite well and i would definitely suggest you take a rental for at least 6 months (11 months is the maximum) while you explore the areas.

From your hotel you can actually walk or cycle all the way to Benalmadena marina and beyond along the lovely promenade,depending on how fit you are of course as it is a few km's. You'll pass a nice area called The Carihuela where there are 2 rows of bars/shops and restaurants,one on the front line beach and the second row just behind, we have spent many days walking with our daughter and nephew here. The beaches in Torremolinos are lovely and you will come across lots more expats like yourselves.

Its a great place to retire and being the closest town to Malaga airport, ideal for when you need to commute back and forth.

P.s dogs are allowed on the beach but only out of season.

I wish you both luck!
Has the law changed this year in Spain in respect of long term rentals? I am with respect not sure of the validity of your 11 month comment?
Old Aug 24th 2014, 6:28 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Under Spanish law as a tenant you have many more rights than this.
True, even under a short term "Temporada" contract.

Some useful info here

Landlord not protected by 11-month contract | EWN Business
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps the law has changed?? I'm not sure, it's been a while since i worked in the business. What i do know is that up until Feb this year any agent we dealt with (as we moved into a rental house ourselves this February) would only offer us a maximum of 11 months contract with an option to take a 'rolling contract' at the end of that 11 month period. I agree that these contracts are not really worth the paper they are written on...
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi my advice both by pm on this forum and another ex pats forum is that the law changed in June 2013. I for one will not be signing any eleven month agreement. If the other side insist we will walk away. Plenty of rentals out there.

rdgs
Old Aug 25th 2014, 6:45 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Best advice, stop using agents and do everything yourself. This isn't like back in the UK, it's more common to find private lets than commercial ones.
idealista.com — casas y pisos, alquiler y venta. anuncios gratis for houses for sale & rent.
We always ask if the price is fixed and ALWAYS get it lowered!
Old Aug 25th 2014, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Best advice, stop using agents and do everything yourself. This isn't like back in the UK, it's more common to find private lets than commercial ones.
idealista.com — casas y pisos, alquiler y venta. anuncios gratis for houses for sale & rent.
We always ask if the price is fixed and ALWAYS get it lowered!
That being the case what please is the vehicle for private lets. Par example look at Javea google lets and you have a plethora of commercial agents. I have tied for over twelve months to find private lets. Does anyone please have a web site? I for one am concerned over paying finders fees but that is the way of the world. What hurts is the demand from agents up front of two months deposit plus the first month rental. So simple arithmetic at say 1500 per month = 4500 euros. What chance the refund of 3000 euros at the end. I spoke last year to quite a few people in Javea plus an Abogado who counselled holding back the last two months rent for you were not likely to get the deposit back.

I am not sure of the truth in all of this?
Old Aug 25th 2014, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

I apologize I should have read and thoroughly so the posting as to private lets.

Thus sorry.

However I have just looked at the site for Javea and one or two properties are being advertised by agents - at lesser prices.

Just my feeling but these prices are unrealistic and there is one at say 3000 euros a month.

Could it be that private owners are going their own way discarding agents and their view price wise of the market and 'trying it on?'

Last year in Javea cost us 'lots' and someone on another ex pat site today suggested that she had tried for over ten years to find an up front agent. Her words not mine! We are faced with difficult times and the need to look after ones own well-being might sometimes get in the way of looking after a client. Indeed in all of this who is the client . However we feel we are in safer hands this year and are better prepared than last. So any mistakes will be ours and ours alone.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 7:23 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
That being the case what please is the vehicle for private lets. Par example look at Javea google lets and you have a plethora of commercial agents. I have tied for over twelve months to find private lets. Does anyone please have a web site? I for one am concerned over paying finders fees but that is the way of the world. What hurts is the demand from agents up front of two months deposit plus the first month rental. So simple arithmetic at say 1500 per month = 4500 euros. What chance the refund of 3000 euros at the end. I spoke last year to quite a few people in Javea plus an Abogado who counselled holding back the last two months rent for you were not likely to get the deposit back.

I am not sure of the truth in all of this?
Plenty here http://www.idealista.com/alquiler-vi...blicacion-desc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.