help!

Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light
Default help!

Ok, I've packed my weighing scales and need to know what my potatoes weigh so I can make jackets in the microwave.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:32 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help!

Originally Posted by sujee
Ok, I've packed my weighing scales and need to know what my potatoes weigh so I can make jackets in the microwave.

Any ideas?
Phone for a delivery of pizza........you know that is what you really want anyway.......
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

What I really want is fois gras stuffed organic peacock breasts but it's the butler's night off and it might also make LD think I'm a rich snob. :P

Will settle for Jacket and chili.
(hates pizza)
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

What I really want is fois gras stuffed organic peacock breasts but it's the butler's night off and it might also make LD think I'm a rich snob. :P

Will settle for Jacket and chili.
(hates pizza)
OK then, why dont you get a plank of wood and balance it over a bottle or something.

Get a weighed bag of sugar or something on one end of the wood, and then add smaller weighed items on the other end of the plank untill it balances.

then put your spud on with the smaller items, it will not be balanced, so then take of the weighed items off bit by bit untill it balances again, then add up the weight of the items off the plank, and you should have the weight of your spud.

Then reach for the nearest bottle of strong stuff, as you will need it by then.....

Or just bung it in the micro and hope for the best..........
Old Feb 16th 2012, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JLFS
OK then, why dont you get a plank of wood and balance it over a bottle or something.

Get a weighed bag of sugar or something on one end of the wood, and then add smaller weighed items on the other end of the plank untill it balances.

then put your spud on with the smaller items, it will not be balanced, so then take of the weighed items off bit by bit untill it balances again, then add up the weight of the items off the plank, and you should have the weight of your spud.

Then reach for the nearest bottle of strong stuff, as you will need it by then.....

Or just bung it in the micro and hope for the best..........
Great idea Unfortunately the plank won't lie on the bottle as he says it will make him spill his G&T.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:05 pm
Banned

Great idea Unfortunately the plank won't lie on the bottle as he says it will make him spill his G&T.
love it.......
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?
If you have a measuring jug it's easy.

Put the potatoes in the jug and fill it up with water to the 1 litre mark. Take out the potato and measure the new water height. The difference between that level and the 1 litre mark, in ml is the weight of the potatoes in grams (approximately).

Long live Archimedes!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:05 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?
who weighs a potato before cooking it Are you serious
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

In a combi microwaves you can set a programme for jacket potatoes based on the weight.

Was this a serious thread? what do you think? :P

Nice to know Fred James is a man of principles
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:36 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

In a combi microwaves you can set a programme for jacket potatoes based on the weight.

Nice to know Fred James is a man of principles
Right Never used a combi .... I am the old school, never weigh anything, guesswork and practice always turns out ok ... got my grandmother and mother to thank for that hope the potato turned out ok
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Well the idea of the thread was to provide a little light relief. Some threads had got a little heavy. Also nice to see how inventive you could be

The potatoes were great

What i actually did was look at them and guess as 200g each and they came out perfectly. I too am of the old school and rarely ever weigh anything.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you have a measuring jug it's easy.

Put the potatoes in the jug and fill it up with water to the 1 litre mark. Take out the potato and measure the new water height. The difference between that level and the 1 litre mark, in ml is the weight of the potatoes in grams (approximately).

Long live Archimedes!
You are really wasted on here, I thought my method was good, unworkable, and convoluted but good, whereas yours is pure genius.

Stephen Hawking might be interested in getting you on his team.......
Old Feb 16th 2012, 7:48 pm
Popping in for a chat

Well the idea of the thread was to provide a little light relief. Some threads had got a little heavy. Also nice to see how inventive you could be

The potatoes were great

What i actually did was look at them and guess as 200g each and they came out perfectly. I too am of the old school and rarely ever weigh anything.

Funnily I never see the really 'heavy' threads, always seem to miss them. I look in on here because I like to pop in to catch up with old friends ... some I have met some just chatted to. I ignore the nasty posters, I think they probaby just go off on one and regret it later. Nice to have a little light relief
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda

I don't....life is too short for that sort of waste of time!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

I also had the programme on my English combi microwave.....but here in Spain jacket potatoes are not so popular, so despite an extensive search I was unable to find a combi with that programme on.

But all is not lost, live dangerously....experiment and you will soon discover the right timing for your perfect spud!