Help?

Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of
Default Help?

What is the difference between becoming a resident and the requirement to sign on the register of foreigners?

From what I see everyone needs to needs to sign on the register of foreigners regardless of nationality. Can one obtain a drivers license after signing on or does he need to be a resident?

In regards to becoming a resident, what criteria need to be met in order to become a resident? I (Canadian) am married to an EU. If I understand some of the material I have been reading correctly, the EU national can become a resident automatically but I am unsure how quickly I can become one. Also if I become a resident what are the implications for income earned overseas?
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 10:48 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help?

Originally Posted by reggiedh
What is the difference between becoming a resident and the requirement to sign on the register of foreigners?

From what I see everyone needs to needs to sign on the register of foreigners regardless of nationality. Can one obtain a drivers license after signing on or does he need to be a resident?

In regards to becoming a resident, what criteria need to be met in order to become a resident? I (Canadian) am married to an EU. If I understand some of the material I have been reading correctly, the EU national can become a resident automatically but I am unsure how quickly I can become one. Also if I become a resident what are the implications for income earned overseas?
As far as I understand, for an EU national, there is no difference and once you are a resident you can convert an existing EU licence to a Spanish one.

I leave the question of coming from Canada to someone who knows.

With regard to foreign earnings, this has nothing to do with being a resident. Once you have been in Spain for a certain number of days, then you automatically become liable for Spanish tax - no matter where it is earned!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 10:55 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

No idea about Canadian applying for residency. I suspect there may be different rules for non EU citizen? I suggest you ask at your town hall. Most have someone who speaks English.

I guess you are looking to exchange your Canadian license? I can confirm you do not need residency to apply, but you do need to sign on the padron.

I got my solicitor to do it, but you can DIY. You will need your passport, padron, NIE and ofcourse your Canadian license.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 11:05 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Signing the register of foreigners does not make you a resident in the legal sense. It isn't regardless of nationality, it is for EU citizens or family members of EU citizens.

The only legally defined form of residency is tax residency which applies(by default - no forms involved) when you spend more than 183 days in Spain (not necessarily consecutively.)

There is a grey area in between where you have signed on but not achieved fiscal residency.

For example, to sign onto the Padron it is necessary to show that you have signed the foreigners register. To sign on with a doctor the same applies. Also buying a car and exchanging your licence.

Regarding a non EU family member of an EU citizen, such as in your case, they are in the privileged position of still being issued with one of those lovely plastic "Residencia" cards that many of us now miss.

You apply for this card on the EX16 form that is also used to sign on the register but the rules about non EU citizens entering Spain as other than a tourist are complicated and a visa may be necessary. This has to be sorted out before coming to Spain at your local Spanish embassy.

As a fiscal resident then you are liable to Spanish income tax on your world wide income (with a few exceptions such as UK government pensions).
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 6:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I don`t think your licence is regognized by the Spanish for a swop, you will probably need to take a Spanish driving test.
Your licence will be valid for up to six months if it is accompanied by an international drivers permit.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
I don`t think your licence is regognized by the Spanish for a swop, you will probably need to take a Spanish driving test.
Your licence will be valid for up to six months if it is accompanied by an international drivers permit.
Seems you may be right. Because I have been expatting in Africa for years I ended up with only an African license. Appears you can rent on those licenses but not insure a vehicle if you buy one. Go figure. And not even a grace period given even if you intend getting a Spanish one.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:03 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

...I have been expatting in Africa for years I ended up with only an African license. .
How much did you pay for that?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
How much did you pay for that?
Nothing; all done ligit.