Reload this Page >

Hello to anyone living in Costa Blanca

Hello to anyone living in Costa Blanca

Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

DebKeith is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hello to anyone living in Costa Blanca

Hello

We are looking to move to Alicante area - we are coming to Spain for a week from 6th April to look at properties - we would love to meet up with some ex-pats to talk about life in Spain, the benefits, pitfalls etc. and also to make connections - please contact us if you would be able to offer us any advice

Debbie & Keith
Old Mar 21st 2013, 10:22 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello to anyone living in Costa Blanca

Hello Deb & Keith.
You may though need longer that a week to look around, still its a start.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 11:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebKeith
Hello

We are looking to move to Alicante area - we are coming to Spain for a week from 6th April to look at properties - we would love to meet up with some ex-pats to talk about life in Spain, the benefits, pitfalls etc. and also to make connections - please contact us if you would be able to offer us any advice

Debbie & Keith

Depends on which area you are looking at, it's a long coast :-)
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Depends on which area you are looking at, it's a long coast :-)
it certainly is

if you're coming to Jávea though, give me a shout
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:01 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is to not make any rash decisions, there are plenty of properties to choose from. Let the people on here know where you are most interested and sit back and wait to see if anyone can tell you about the area. Enjoy the holiday
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie and Keith
There are no benefits to speak of in Spain. Pitfalls, yes, but not benefits. Some may disagree with me but Spain is one of the last countries in the world I would consider moving to at this moment in time. Years ago, yes, but today, no. It is frightening here at the moment because no one knows what is going to happen next. Look at Cyprus. I suggest you read Spanish readers’ comments in some of the online Spanish newspapers and you will get some idea of what you are considering moving into.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha
Debbie and Keith
There are no benefits to speak of in Spain. Pitfalls, yes, but not benefits. Some may disagree with me but Spain is one of the last countries in the world I would consider moving to at this moment in time. Years ago, yes, but today, no. It is frightening here at the moment because no one knows what is going to happen next. Look at Cyprus. I suggest you read Spanish readers’ comments in some of the online Spanish newspapers and you will get some idea of what you are considering moving into.
I wouldnt say it's that bad

It simply depends on your situation. If you have a reliable income or lots of savings than now is a better time than ever to come to Spain

As long as you dont mind paying a bit of Spanish tax of course
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Sausages is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just bought a property in Spain and will share my experience. I wish to keep private where I bought it, but I suspect wherever you decide on, it will be pretty much the same.

I'm not so sure a week would be long enough to make such a momentous decision, so if you can extend your stay I would. If you need to revisit anywhere, you're not leaving much time to do that and even then, you might find yourself pushed into the wrong decision feeling that you had to settle on somewhere before you went home.

If you can't extend the week then I would, before going, do as much research as you can regarding the type of property you want and in the area you want as well as how much you want to pay. Bear in mind that despite the economic situation, people won't accept stupid offers unless they're totally desperate because in a lot of cases they may well be facing negative equity, so the more they can claw back, the better. Just because a house has been up for a long time, doesn't mean they will accept a rock bottom price. The die is cast as far as prices are concerned so chances are they will want as near to asking price as possible. If a house you see is well out of budget, don't bother going to see it, it will be a waste of time. Allow for around 15% maximum over budget regarding asking prices and you should be able to work from there. Obviously the higher the price, the more that will come off but only if something is really dear to begin with will you get more than 10-15% off.

With regard to bank repossessions, whilst these may seem to offer good value, remember that people have usually stripped them bare of air con units, white goods, and other things you might expect to be present in the house. I've heard of gas pipes and windows also being removed. Even then, don't assume the bank will accept lower than the asking price. They might even turn the asking price down and want more. The cost to make good these types of properties might mean that you're better off buying somewhere either occupied or not subject to a repossession. You've also got reconnection charges for the utilities too.

I think people in Spain are sensing that people from abroad are "Smelling blood" thinking that they can come in and buy their property for nothing, but they're aware of this mindset so the opposite is true. Whilst property has gone down drastically, the problem for the buyer is that people can't actually afford to sell too low as there is too much to pay off afterwards. Once it's sold for a pittance, they still have to pay the debts, so they're better off with a roof over their head, paying lower mortgage rates and hanging on for a decent price.

Good luck anyway!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie and Keith
Im guessing you've had a bad experience.
What has Cyprus got to do with Spain? The scaremongers start and before we know it Spain is about to tax all its savers according to some!!

Benefits of Spain against the UK are generally a slower pace of life (for some), better weather (Ive just been out for a 30 km cycle ride, and its snowing in the UK), and a lower cost of living depending on which area you choose

For some its good, for some its bad ...... just like the UK!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Only one way to do it safely, without tears, and that's to rent for a while. That will give you time to see what it's really like living here (the Sun, the Sea and the Bureaucracy!!!!)

We did it that way and LOVE IT!
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

I haven’t had a bad experience. I’m just going by what my Spanish friends tell me. When you say what has Cyprus to do with Spain, are you serious? Firstly they are both in the Eurozone and secondly they are both bankrupt. Thirdly they are both corrupt. I could go on but if you want to know more ask around.
Rajoy said that what happened in Cyprus will not happen in Spain. When a politician tells you something like that you know you have to think hard on the future. And De Guindos said all deposits under 100,000 are secure. Not over 100,000, but under. Makes you think, doesn’t it.
I am in no way comparing Spain with the UK. I love Spain and its people. If you want to know what the Spanish think of the way Spain is going I repeat, read some Spanish comments on an online Spanish newspaper.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:15 pm
Senior Moment

I haven’t had a bad experience. I’m just going by what my Spanish friends tell me. When you say what has Cyprus to do with Spain, are you serious? Firstly they are both in the Eurozone and secondly they are both bankrupt.
So your friends have had bad experiences .. OK I understand

Am I serious. Well, yes. I realise they are both in the EU zone, and that's just about where it ends when you are speaking about the 5th largest economy in the EU against a country that has a GDP slightly bigger than Malta.

If Spain becomes bankrupt then I suggest we are all in serious trouble, hence why other forces will do anything to stop it happening
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

That is just my point. Other forces will do anything. They can cut Spain adrift if they want. That is why I say Spain is not a country to buy in today.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:59 pm
Senior Moment

That is just my point. Other forces will do anything. They can cut Spain adrift if they want. That is why I say Spain is not a country to buy in today.
I understand what you are saying, but Spain will not be cut loose. That was my point. Once they start cutting loose major economies in the Euro Zone we are ALL doomed, doomed ....
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 7:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I understand what you are saying, but Spain will not be cut loose. That was my point. Once they start cutting loose major economies in the Euro Zone we are ALL doomed, doomed ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.